Driving the 2021 1500 5.7 Hemi Truck

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
555.jpg

We just got back from a vacation in the mountains last week.
Going on long trips I like to rent different cars, have for years.
This time, since going to the mountains I chose a truck. And this is what we got.
Remarks...
Super quiet cab. I don't believe I have ever been in a pick up that is this quite on the road.
Ride is slightly stiff, as you expect in a pickup but on the HWY smooth and quiet. Liked it.
The 5.7 Hemi has a lot of heft. Great take off, and brilliant speed when you need it. It will sink you into your seat nicely.
Plenty of cargo space with the full cab, although when the back seats are down...looks like it would be a little cramped?
The seats are pretty decent. Hours of driving and neither of our butts were sore, or a sore back. So pretty good.

CONS
The software for the screen is clunky and slow. Hooking your phone up takes too long, and sometimes simply doesn't connect unless you try 2-3 times.
Why does the radio keep coming on everytime you start the motor? Even after you shut it off BEFORE you stop the engine. The radio came on every time we started the engine over 6 days.
Transmission is a little clunky at low speeds. Take off is very nice if you are on the highway and giving some throttle, but at low speeds in the city the transmission shifts a little hard and not always at the right time.

All in all a pretty nice truck.
Wouldn't buy one though.

View attachment 544216

This time, since going to the mountains I chose a truck. And this is what we got.
Remarks...
Super quiet cab. I don't believe I have ever been in a pick up that is this quite on the road.
Ride is slightly stiff, as you expect in a pickup but on the HWY smooth and quiet. Liked it.
The 5.7 Hemi has a lot of heft. Great take off, and brilliant speed when you need it. It will sink you into your seat nicely.
Plenty of cargo space with the full cab, although when the back seats are down...looks like it would be a little cramped?
The seats are pretty decent. Hours of driving and neither of our butts were sore, or a sore back. So pretty good.

CONS
The software for the screen is clunky and slow. Hooking your phone up takes too long, and sometimes simply doesn't connect unless you try 2-3 times.
Why does the radio keep coming on everytime you start the motor? Even after you shut it off BEFORE you stop the engine. The radio came on every time we started the engine over 6 days.
Transmission is a little clunky at low speeds. Take off is very nice if you are on the highway and giving some throttle, but at low speeds in the city the transmission shifts a little hard and not always at the right time.

Wouldn't buy one though.
I had a 72 Ford F100, 2 wheel drive, 360 V8, three on the tree, no AC and no power steering......... Smooth sedan like ride, that was a great truck.

iu

I am looking at buying a RAM 2500 or 3500 for our retirement travels when towing a travel trailer or 5th wheel.

I have driven the RAM 3500 with the 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel and liked .

View attachment 544216
Remarks...

CONS

Wouldn't buy one though.
Dodge union made, union piece of junk. My dodge had the electronic transmission stuck in 2nd. So i took it in, and had to wait a week till the part showed up, they put it in, and i asked if they took it out for a test drive. They said they didnt but ran it on the rack, so when i took it out on the highway, it got stuck in 2nd again. When i went back to complain, i told them i worked on F-15s and if i did the shitty got of testing my work , and it was like Dodge some pilot would of died. I will never by a Chrysler product ever again, because they suck for vehicles, and they took bailout money. What is to keep them from going bankrupt again, not honoring your warranty and asking for a bail out again.

View attachment 544216

Dodge union made, union piece of junk. My dodge had the electronic transmission stuck in 2nd. So i took it in, and had to wait a week till the part showed up, they put it in, and i asked if they took it out for a test drive. They said they didnt but ran it on the rack, so when i took it out on the highway, it got stuck in 2nd again. When i went back to complain, i told them i worked on F-15s and if i did the shitty got of testing my work , and it was like Dodge some pilot would of died. I will never by a Chrysler product ever again, because they suck for vehicles, and they took bailout money. What is to keep them from going bankrupt again, not honoring your warranty and asking for a bail out again.
I am not a fan of "dial gear selectors". Where essentially you have like a radio dial to select your gear.
Electronic transmissions get it wrong. We were in TN, in mountains. Many-many times I would have to let off or hit the gas to get the transmission to go to a better gear, especially going up hill.

View attachment 544216

Remarks...

CONS

Wouldn't buy one though.
Thank you.

Forum List

Back