Dream Theater archives.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
This is footage the band made back in 1991 recording the album 'Images and Words'...

Love Lies Bleeding (Elton John cover)with
Derek Sherinian on keyboards
@ 1:31:30

James Labrie / Vocals --Kevin Moore / Keyboards --John Myung / Bass Guitars, Vocals -- Mike Portnoy / Drum, Percussion, Vocals -- John Petrucci / Guitar, Vocals

Last edited:
One of my all time favorite songs is Pull Me Under. They were a fantastically talented group.

And that is a horrible recording....

Last edited:
Hmmm..........what the hell happened with that nonsense? He butchered Black Hole Sun.
All I know is around 1993 they were in Cuba and he apparently got food poisoning, which damaged his vocal cords somehow.....anyway he recovered but was probably never the same since.

Mike Portnoy was smart to leave the band in 2013 or whenever even though it was a brutally tough decision for him and a shock to the band members. Fortunately, Mike Mangini came along & is the perfect replacement but they should have found a new singer too, imho. No offense James....I still love some of his old work.

Hmmm..........what the hell happened with that nonsense? He butchered Black Hole Sun.
All I know is around 1993 they were in Cuba and he apparently got food poisoning, which damaged his vocal cords somehow.....anyway he recovered but was probably never the same since.

Mike Portnoy was smart to leave the band in 2013 or whenever even though it was a brutally tough decision for him and a shock to the band members. Fortunately, Mike Mangini came along & is the perfect replacement but they should have found a new singer too, imho. No offense James....I still love some of his old work.

I don't know. Their hayday was some 30 years ago. Everything changes.

MP's new band doing a tune from
Dream Theater's 1997 Falling Into Infinity album...
Jeff Scott Soto singing.

Mike Portnoy's been in more bands than Steve Gadd has done studio sessions,
and that's a tremendous compliment.

Last edited:
i liked Dream Theater...until everyone else started liking Dream Theater

then i stopped liking them!

they have a following all over the world, not exactly like Bon Jovi or Zeppelin, but still famous

Forum List

Back