Dowry Story: Republic Hymn (HGP)?

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is a social-activism parable inspired by the general customs intrigue associated with our gossip-oriented media/journalism dialogic civilization.

This parable was inspired by Mississippi Masala.

Signing off,

====

"An Indian dowry-gift ceremony leading to a royal wedding in New Delhi drew the family members of both sides, the bride and the groom. The ceremony was very detailed and meticulous, and the bride, Princess Esha, wondered if all this pomp was elevating the dowry for some unknown political reason. Esha decided to perform a private investigation before her wedding-day arrived."

mordred18.jpg

"The exchange of money and gifts had a rich history in civilization, and in the modern world, trade and contracts governed much of networking and politics (e.g., European Union, Wall Street, World Bank). Indeed, contracts were affecting the way we conceived of customs and etiquette and were therefore 'shaping' our species' consciousness. Some scientists working for the HGP (Human Genome Project), the institution devoted to the 'dissection' and analysis of the hereditary/genetic molecular structure of humans, wondered if commerce-consciousness was 'altering' the phenotype of the human genome/DNA."

mordred19.jpg

"Meanwhile, film-makers were exploring rich presentations of the spiritual and psychological consequences of great/dramatic wars and contests designed to magnify power, secure territory, and establish sovereignty. These war-and-kingdom films signified a civilization fascination with the 'aesthetics' of social organization and strength coordination. How would the commerce-and-media-focused Trump Administration in America respond to this new age 'aesthetic' fascination with the luster of fortune?"

mordred17.jpg

"As Princess Esha continued with her investigation into her father's family's strange preoccupation with the dowry-ceremony ascribed to her royal wedding in India, she realized that modern media in the Western world and democratic world was focused on all kinds of celebrations of competition and the 'pageantry' of intellectual-trophy 'colorization.' She noted that nationally-televised (NBC) American college football games between Notre Dame and Penn State (two esteemed athletics programs) reflected a civilization fascination with the 'majesty' of marketing rivalries. Esha wondered if her father's dowry-obsession was linked to some kind of 'capitalism/media conspiracy'."

mordred11.jpg

"Princess Esha learned that American film-maker Steven Spielberg was making a provocative and incendiary new film about the international concern over reports of dowry-death in India, stories involving brides being burned by their in-laws after receiving 'unsatisfactory dowries' from the brides' family. This new Spielberg film would star Leo DiCaprio and Cameron Diaz as international investigators studying dowry-deaths in India on behalf of the United Nations. Esha quickly deduced that since her wedding was a royal one which would certainly draw journalists/press from the Times of India, her father wanted to 'showcase' the dowry-ceremony details to Spielberg for a segment for his new DiCaprio/Diaz film."

mordred15.jpg

"Princess Esha decided to act. She didn't want her wedding to be a 'media-circus' because of the dowry details. She called her friend in America (Ethan Wein) who worked for DC Comics and asked him to send her one of his portraits of the comic book superheroine Wonder Woman. Esha received the portrait from her artist-friend and magnified it and laminated it and framed it and hung it in her bedroom wall of her father's palace. When Spielberg's film-crew arrived to interview both Princess Esha and her father, she showed everyone her Wonder Woman portrait and explained it was from her comic book artist friend in America. When Spielberg asked her why the portrait was important to her, Esha explained it symbolized all the vigilantism-oriented passions regarding dowry-deaths she'd harbored her entire life."

mordred7.jpg

"Spielberg was impressed and included Esha's portrait of Wonder Woman in his film, which was titled Dowry Day. The film was nominated for Best Picture and Best Director and Best Actress (Cameron Diaz). When Esha herself was interviewed regarding the successes and praises for the Spielberg film, she said she was happy that cinema was drawing attention to social issues around the world and was thrilled her royal wedding served as one of the information-sources for Spielberg's research regarding dowry-complexities in India. Esha then decided to begin making beautiful pencil-drawings of Indian brides for the New Yorker, coupled with editorial-pieces about the intrigue surrounding dowry-deaths in India. The editorials earned Princess Esha the first royal Pulitzer Prize in history."

mordred20.jpg

ESHA: I'm so impressed with Spielberg's film...and Diaz's Oscar!
WEIN: Yes, Dowry Day was a huge commercial/critical success...
ESHA: Thanks again for that Wonder Woman portrait.
WEIN: Hey, you said you really needed it.
ESHA: I'm glad no one thought I harbored 'ill-will' regarding dowry-problems.
WEIN: People shouldn't think a princess like you despises social problems in India.
ESHA: Right; my Wonder Woman portrait was shown in the Spielberg film!
WEIN: I know; I recognized it; congrats.
ESHA: Maybe Dowry Day really will change social consciousness...
WEIN: Were you concerned that your dad was 'marketing' your wedding?
ESHA: No, not really; I merely worried that media-spotlights would make craziness.
WEIN: You mean, it would draw attention the wrong way, since you're a princess?
ESHA: People would be distracted by glitz and not focus on maladies.
WEIN: Maybe your dad simply wanted to 'contribute' to the cinematic-landscape.
ESHA: Oh yeah, he was just thinking about general diplomacy, not activism!
WEIN: So what did your dad say about your Pulitzer?
ESHA: He said, "I had a dream you'd become a geneticist someday."

====

:dance:

Forum List

Back