Dow Jones Rises 67.9% During Obama Presidency

catzmeow

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Gunshine State
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/21/y...nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20121021&_r=2&

Through Friday, since Mr. Obama’s inauguration — his first 1,368 days in office — the Dow Jones industrial average has gained 67.9 percent. That’s an extremely strong performance — the fifth best for an equivalent period among all American presidents since 1900. The Bespoke Investment Group calculated those returns for The New York Times.

The best showing occurred in Franklin D. Roosevelt’s first term, when the market rose by a whopping 238.1 percent. Of course, that followed a calamitous decline. When his term started, the Dow had fallen to one-fourth of its former peak. In 2008, the year before Mr. Obama took office, the Dow declined by roughly one-third.

After Franklin Roosevelt, the next-best market performances occurred under Calvin Coolidge, Bill Clinton and Dwight Eisenhower. These exceptionally strong markets helped all of them win the next election — and the stock market is undoubtedly helping Mr. Obama, too, even if he isn’t saying much about it.

Are you better off in the last 4 years? Absolutely. My IRA has grown by over 50% in the past 3 years.

I'm confused. Wasn't it just a few months ago that Democrats were decrying Wall Street posting record gains while the average American suffered? Does this mean Democrats have come to embrace Wall Street?

Good for you. How are gas prices, unemployment, and grocery bills doing in the last four years?

• Banned
Good for you. How are gas prices, unemployment, and grocery bills doing in the last four years?

I've been employed for the last 4 years and get regular raises. I drive an economical car. My grocery bills are cheaper than ever because I shop sales and use coupons.

Thanks for asking, though.

It's just Fed money printing and ludicrously low interest rates. Do people realize how stupid it is to have a 0% interest rate? It's supposed to only occur when the world is ending but that was 4 years ago.

Gas prices are up for the same reason. Hedge funds borrow for free and buy up commodities they know everyone needs.

American equities and business is considered a (relative) safe haven against Obama's continued destruction of the dollar.

Thread Fail.

The dollar bottomed against foreign currencies in 2008. Stop making a fool of yourself.

I did not compare dollar value against other sovereign-debt laden currencies.

You are way out of your league here. Imagine that.

LOL

So, what the OP is saying is that the wealthy have done well under Obama while the administration itself says the middle class has been buried.

And THAT is what liberals want 4 more years of???

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/21/y...nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20121021&_r=2&

Through Friday, since Mr. Obama’s inauguration — his first 1,368 days in office — the Dow Jones industrial average has gained 67.9 percent. That’s an extremely strong performance — the fifth best for an equivalent period among all American presidents since 1900. The Bespoke Investment Group calculated those returns for The New York Times.

The best showing occurred in Franklin D. Roosevelt’s first term, when the market rose by a whopping 238.1 percent. Of course, that followed a calamitous decline. When his term started, the Dow had fallen to one-fourth of its former peak. In 2008, the year before Mr. Obama took office, the Dow declined by roughly one-third.

After Franklin Roosevelt, the next-best market performances occurred under Calvin Coolidge, Bill Clinton and Dwight Eisenhower. These exceptionally strong markets helped all of them win the next election — and the stock market is undoubtedly helping Mr. Obama, too, even if he isn’t saying much about it.

Are you better off in the last 4 years? Absolutely. My IRA has grown by over 50% in the past 3 years.

So what dickface? What did Obama do?

Obama came into office at the end of a market crash, so there has been retracement, Bernake taking interest rates to zero, Operation twist, QE 1, QE 2, QE 3, and Bush pumping a trillion dollars into the banks.

American equities and business is considered a (relative) safe haven against Obama's continued destruction of the dollar.

Thread Fail.

The dollar bottomed against foreign currencies in 2008. Stop making a fool of yourself.

Really, when did it bottom out against oil, silver, gold, corn, wheat, beef, pork, and a million other items that inflation keeps marching on. The dow is up on inflated dollars and very little esle, company profits are also only up because of inflation. Other currencies are facing ths same inflationary preasures. So what's your point.

Thread Fail.

Really, when did it bottom out against oil, silver, gold, corn, wheat, beef, pork, and a million other items that inflation keeps marching on. The dow is up on inflated dollars and very little esle, company profits are also only up because of inflation. Other currencies are facing ths same inflationary preasures. So what's your point.

His point is that he is a clueless assfuck who felt the urge to demonstrate it to the entire board.

LOL

The NYTimes is playing loose and fast with numbers again..

I distinctly remember the market falling 50%, not the 30% figure that they cherry-picked by dates.

And even the math challenged realize that to recover from a 50% loss --- you need a 100% gain..
((I hope.. Maybe that's not the case with the Obama faithful))

THAT'S why the OP fails.... Don't CARE what it did on the day the Dear Leader was inaugurated.. I'm not impressed that's it's "kinda back" to kicking around 2007 numbers.. Meaning it's gone NO WHERE in about 5 years now..

Thread Fail.

My point is that the other poster doesn't know what he's talking about. Read what he said. It's gibberish.

Thread Fail.

Where else is there to invest hard currency?

Obama has not created any kind of investment climate during his term, so of course money is going to fly into equities. He's not instilled one whit of confidence in building homes or factories. Well, I take that back- we have seen a profusion of windmill and solar cell manufacturers.

And one of the very few sectors that is actually growing and succeeding- oil and natural gas- is being targeted by Obama for over $40 billion in taxes.

Penalize success, reward lathargy. I sure hope we change administrations.

I guess by some of the brilliant insight being tossed around here,

the fact that the stock market was lower at the end of Bush's eight years than it was when he took office was somehow a good thing.

My point is that the other poster doesn't know what he's talking about. Read what he said. It's gibberish.

EURUSD just retraced from the Tokyo open runup to the daily pivot and bounced. Would you say this is sustainable given the Spaniish election results later today, or should we expect the larger 38.2% Fibonacci retrace to the .1284 which happens to also be the monthly pivot? Perhaps the market will just range until the German business climate report on Wednesday?

Or is it you haven't a fucking clue on the currency markets, afterall?

LOL

Forum List

Back