Don't Buy A Dog

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
Don't buy a dog. Rescue one.

You can pay up to four figures for a dog these days, which is stupid when you can get one for next to nothing from an animal shelter. Thanks to the internet, it's even better now since you can adopt a dog from anywhere in the country which meets your exact specifications.

I've had dogs my entire life. I currently have two. A Yorkie mix I inherited when my mother died, and a black pit bull I adopted last October.

There were a hundred people coming and going at my parents' house when my mom died. The Yorkie picked me. She cuddled up next to me and would not leave my side. I didn't even know her since I live thousands of miles from my parents. I guess my mom directed her to me.

She was three at the time and my mother never house trained her! Why I don't know.

When I brought her home, my oldest daughter latched onto her immediately and now the Yorkie is her dog.

Do you know how hard it is to house train a three year old dog? Oh...my...god. Fuggedaboutit. It took forever.

I also had a German Sheperd/Black Lab dog who had been a police dog. I adopted him from a prison where the inmates trained them for civilian life. He was the most serious dog I have ever seen in my life. But with us, his inner puppy came out and he was a real joy. That dog stuck to me like Velcro for the rest of his life.

When my big dog passed, I thought I would not get another dog. I was too heartbroken. But the day came when I started looking.

I started in the local area. The Humane Society in my state does not execute dogs no matter how long it takes to get them adopted. I wanted a pit bull but none of them were young enough for me. I wanted one about 2 years old.

Just as a side note, when I lived in Virginia, they local pet lockup executed dogs after just 15 days. We adopted a Black Lab mix on his last day on Earth. He turned out to be a fricking Einstein of dogs. Incredibly brilliant. If he had started talking, it would not have set me aback one bit.

Anyway, after the Humane Society was a no-go, I tried another pet adoption agency and went to meet 2 pit bulls. The lady hosting them had 13 fricking dogs in her house. That's ridiculous. She was obviously milking for money. Anyway, the two pitties were way too wild.

Pit bulls have a bad reputation, but they are actually one of the best dogs you could ever ask for. You have to deliberately ruin them to make them vicious.

So I turned to the internet. A web site called Petfinder. And I laid out my wishes and a few days later I was sent a link to a page for this black pit bull and it even had some video of him.

I fell in love immediately.

This dog was way down in Texas at a pet shelter run by an evangelical lady. This dog had been tied to a tree for the first two years of his life, and when he was rescued he was covered in mange and fleas and had heartworms.

I think if you get a dog and then tie it to a tree for two years, you should go to prison for at LEAST two years. :mad-61::mad-61::mad-61::mad-61::mad-61:

I think it cost me something like $350 to have the dog trucked to where I live. They had him fixed, and cured his mange, and rid him of his fleas and heartworms. $350!!

You just can't beat that.

The church lady told a little fib, though. She said he was house trained.

Nope. And it should have occurred to me there is no way a dog tied to a tree his whole life would be house trained. Duh!

Do you know how hard it is to train a 2-year old dog who is not house trained? Oh...my...god. Fuggedaboutit.

But this dog is a genius. He may be even smarter than the Black Lab was. He learns very, very quickly. And once he learns something, he learns it well.

So I bought this guy some dog toys. The first toy I gave him was a stuffed dog bone, which is pictured below. I gave him other stuffed toys and rope toys and those toys which supposedly are tiger proof. He destroyed all of them in very short order. I am having to keep him in constant supply of toys. And I have stopped giving him stuffed toys since I am tired of picking up stuffing from all over the house.

But there is one toy he will not destroy. The very first one I gave to him. He carries it around in his jaws and takes very good care of it. He takes it to bed with him and always keeps it close by.

Tied to a tree for two years. MotherFUCKER!!!

As soon as our new pittie was dislodged from the truck from Texas, we took him directly to a large dog park.

When we set him loose, he did not know what to do and he just looked at me.

Tied to a tree for two years, you see.

He finally realized he could take off, and he did. Holy shit, he went wild. He ran and hugged every human in the park and greeted every dog.

After being tied to a tree for two years, he's a little clumsy but I take him to the park so his body can learn muscle and limb coordination.

20220210-163007.jpg

Last edited:
That wall of text for a freakin' Pitbull.

I got a couple dogs over the years from the K9 training center in my AO when Customs ran it. They trained dogs for drug sniffing etc. but not all were able to complete the training for one reason or another and you could adopt one.....Many came from the local pounds.

I got a Doberman and a Lab from them. When the border patrol took it over they stopped the practice because the handlers brought their own dogs with them. It was a different type of training than Customs did.

That wall of text for a freakin' Pitbull.
:lol:

I love this guy. He's awesome!

I got a couple dogs over the years from the K9 training center in my AO when Customs ran it. They trained dogs for drug sniffing etc. but not all were able to complete the training for one reason or another and you could adopt one.....Many came from the local pounds.

I got a Doberman and a Lab from them. When the border patrol took it over they stopped the practice because the handlers brought their own dogs with them. It was a different type of training than Customs did.
The drug dogs in the military were incredibly vicious. If you so much as twitched while they sniffed around, they would tear your shit to shreds.

I fully support people who rescue pets (we have both of our cats) but all that is available in shelters is large dogs and as noted, many of them being pitbulls.

I wonder how many abused children are in human shelters compared as a ratio to dog shelters

I wonder what the adoption rate of these children AFTER 2 yrs old, compared to dogs being adopted

You can pay up to four figures for a dog these days, which is stupid when you can get one for next to nothing from an animal shelter. Thanks to the internet, it's even better now since you can adopt a dog from anywhere in the country which meets your exact specifications.

I've had dogs my entire life. I currently have two. A Yorkie mix I inherited when my mother died, and a black pit bull I adopted last October.

There were a hundred people coming and going at my parents' house when my mom died. The Yorkie picked me. She cuddled up next to me and would not leave my side. I didn't even know her since I live thousands of miles from my parents. I guess my mom directed her to me.

She was three at the time and my mother never house trained her! Why I don't know.

When I brought her home, my oldest daughter latched onto her immediately and now the Yorkie is her dog.

Do you know how hard it is to house train a three year old dog? Oh...my...god. Fuggedaboutit. It took forever.

I also had a German Sheperd/Black Lab dog who had been a police dog. I adopted him from a prison where the inmates trained them for civilian life. He was the most serious dog I have ever seen in my life. But with us, his inner puppy came out and he was a real joy. That dog stuck to me like Velcro for the rest of his life.

When my big dog passed, I thought I would not get another dog. I was too heartbroken. But the day came when I started looking.

I started in the local area. The Humane Society in my state does not execute dogs no matter how long it takes to get them adopted. I wanted a pit bull but none of them were young enough for me. I wanted one about 2 years old.

Just as a side note, when I lived in Virginia, they local pet lockup executed dogs after just 15 days. We adopted a Black Lab mix on his last day on Earth. He turned out to be a fricking Einstein of dogs. Incredibly brilliant. If he had started talking, it would not have set me aback one bit.

Anyway, after the Humane Society was a no-go, I tried another pet adoption agency and went to meet 2 pit bulls. The lady hosting them had 13 fricking dogs in her house. That's ridiculous. She was obviously milking for money. Anyway, the two pitties were way too wild.

Pit bulls have a bad reputation, but they are actually one of the best dogs you could ever ask for. You have to deliberately ruin them to make them vicious.

So I turned to the internet. A web site called Petfinder. And I laid out my wishes and a few days later I was sent a link to a page for this black pit bull and it even had some video of him.

This dog was way down in Texas at a pet shelter run by an evangelical lady. This dog had been tied to a tree for the first two years of his life, and when he was rescued he was covered in mange and fleas and had heartworms.

I think if you get a dog and then tie it to a tree for two years, you should go to prison for at LEAST two years. :mad-61::mad-61::mad-61::mad-61::mad-61:

I think it cost me something like $350 to have the dog trucked to where I live. They had him fixed, and cured his mange, and rid him of his fleas and heartworms. $350!!

Nope. And it should have occurred to me there is no way a dog tied to a tree his whole life would be house trained. Duh!

Do you know how hard it is to train a 2-year old dog who is not house trained? Oh...my...god. Fuggedaboutit.

But this dog is a genius. He may be even smarter than the Black Lab was. He learns very, very quickly. And once he learns something, he learns it well.

So I bought this guy some dog toys. The first toy I gave him was a stuffed dog bone, which is pictured below. I gave him other stuffed toys and rope toys and those doys which supposedly are tiger proof. He destroyed all of them in very short order. I am having to keep him in constant supply of toys. And I have stopped giving him stuffed toys since I am tired of picking up stuffing from all over the house.

But there is one toy he will not destroy. The very first one I gave to him. He carries it around in his jaws and takes very good care of it. He takes it to bed with him and always keeps it close by.

As soon as our new pittie was dislodged from the truck from Texas, we took him directly to a large dog park.

He finally realized he could take off, and he did. Holy shit, he went wild. He ran and hugged every human in the park and greeted every dog.

After being tied to a tree for two years, he's a little clumsy but I take him to the park so his body can learn muscle and limb coordination.

20220210-163007.jpg
Do you think adopting a neglected child would give you a 1000 times the joy?

Just asking

So I bought this guy some dog toys. The first toy I gave him was a stuffed dog bone, which is pictured below. I gave him other stuffed toys and rope toys and those doys which supposedly are tiger proof. He destroyed all of them in very short order. I am having to keep him in constant supply of toys. And I have stopped giving him stuffed toys since I am tired of picking up stuffing from all over the house.

20220210-163007.jpg
Wow first post you made that you didn't sound like a moron

:lol:

I love this guy. He's awesome!

The drug dogs in the military were incredibly vicious. If you so much as twitched while they sniffed around, they would tear your shit to shreds.
LOL....The Customs dogs were mostly friendly/active muts that fit a certain criteria for the task in which they were to be trained for.

The BP dogs will eat you alive on command. Belgian Malinois are very popular.

My former next door neighbor was a BP trainer and he took home his retired Malinois and wanted me to take him when he transferred out. I told him no thinks, I did not want any "toothy kisses".

This is not far from the truth:
464c7cc1afc93730a36feb20c67288b1--belgian-malinois-memes.jpg

It was like this as a puppy:

34d201b15c024d31efe46157d421ffbd.jpg

I want so much to rescue a pit-bull but I haven't seen many here.

But whatever dog I find that likes me and I like him, I will rescue, when the time comes.
Petfinder.com. You can specify breed, age, gender, and I forget what else. Then the site shows you their current list which meets your specs. If you don't like any of them, just wait. You will get emails every time they get another one which fits.

And they will transport the dog to your area.

I wonder how many abused children are in human shelters compared as a ratio to dog shelters

I wonder what the adoption rate of these children AFTER 2 yrs old, compared to dogs being adopted
Everyone wants a baby. I really feel for the older kids that no one wants. That has got to suck.

I have a friend who has fostered a lot of older kids. And some of them come with serious behavioral issues, which is another reason no one wants to adopt them.

I have another friend who adopted a mentally and physically handicapped kid and two other kids. She is a most amazing person.

Ahhhh rescue pets.

"Ya know Sharon...we picked him because of his scars...he must have had such a rough life....maybe in the wilderness?...like that movie Homeward Bound?...mmm"

As you reference your newly rescued 'terrier' "Mr. Fred"

Formerly known by his ring name "Bionic Negro" (36-1)

A dog scooped up in a backyard caged fighting sting some three months prior.

Everything is peaches and cream until that ONE day where you walk in on him feeding, and the sun is just right in the sky,

and the clink of the keys in your pocket is just the right note to remind him...no...to teleport him mentally back...back to his time with...

his previous owner...Mr Tyrell 'lil smurf' Bigguns...currently serving 3-5 for racketeering, possession to sell, and multiple accounts of animal abuse.

You see...Lil Smurf used to 'train' Mr. Fred with a metal lined whip...

some months ago 'Smurf' laid into Mr. Fred...real rough..."Break Yo Sef!...THHHHWOP!...Git sum!...THHHHHHWOP!!...Yu gon lern!!....TTHHHHHHHWWWWWWOPP!

Well guess who you just became...a Smurf?

That's right...you Mr. Helpy Helperton...and now you have 400lbs of pressure on your larynx as Mr. Fred goes full doggy Vietnam PTSD on your blue state ass.

BUT HE"S SO CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!

Everyone wants a baby. I really feel for the older kids that no one wants. That has got to suck.

I have a friend who has fostered a lot of older kids. And some of them come with serious behavioral issues, which is another reason no one wants to adopt them.

I have another friend who adopted a mentally and physically handicapped kid and two other kids. She is a most amazing person.
Why are kennels so full of dogs they have to destroy so many?

Do you think adopting a neglected child would give you a 1000 times the joy?

Just asking
I've actually considered it. However, my wife suffered a serious brain injury a few years ago and one of my kids is mentally disabled, so I have my hands full.

The German Sheperd/Black Lab was actually trained as a service dog. I liked to tell people he was an ex-cop and an ex-con. :)

After a while, my wife felt self-conscious about using him and he just became the family pet.

But I wanted a very powerful dog with really big teeth protecting her when she was out and about without me.

One of the cool things about my new pit bull is that he does not bark. The Yorkie yips like crazy when anyone comes near our house. The pit bull just lumbers up to the door and sits and waits.

I have a fantasy of a burglar hearing our little dog barking and thinking it is safe to break in, and then there's the pit bull. :lol:

Forum List

Back