Dolby Atmos is INCREDIBLE

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Just tore apart my entire home theater and rebuilt it. Spent a couple hours troubleshooting UHD & Dolby Atmos settings on my amp. Took a couple hours of trial and error getting the settings just right but now........HOLY FUCK.

Testing it on a couple UHD Dolby Atmos movies and it's blowing my audio senses away.
Just now watched the intro on The Matrix where Agent Smith chases Trinity through the buildings and across the rooftops. It literally sounds like Agent Smith is running up to my front door, through my livingroom and out the back. And this isn't an exaggeration. The first time I heard it I thought someone was walking up to my front door. Then after hearing it go THROUGH MY HOUSE I realized it was the movie.

Dolby Atmos is an audio game changer. Simply incredible. I've had traditional surround sound for years of course but this blows it out of the water.

Just tore apart my entire home theater and rebuilt it. Spent a couple hours troubleshooting UHD & Dolby Atmos settings on my amp. Took a couple hours of trial and error getting the settings just right but now........HOLY FUCK.

Testing it on a couple UHD Dolby Atmos movies and it's blowing my audio senses away.
Just now watched the intro on The Matrix where Agent Smith chases Trinity through the buildings and across the rooftops. It literally sounds like Agent Smith is running up to my front door, through my livingroom and out the back. And this isn't an exaggeration. The first time I heard it I thought someone was walking up to my front door. Then after hearing it go THROUGH MY HOUSE I realized it was the movie.

Dolby Atmos is an audio game changer. Simply incredible. I've had traditional surround sound for years of course but this blows it out of the water.
Agent Smith is an asshole. You should have shot him anyways.

:2cents:

We've been wanting to go all internet TV and the like but we dont want to spend a shit ton of money on a setup in a huge house we plan on selling in the near future when the Wife retires.
Kinda want the new house to be wired throughout with all the bells and whistles so it can be controlled throughout with the internet.
Garage doors,lighting,and all the rest.
But that sound system sounds bad ass!!!! I crawled my ass through the tightest spots in the attic to install my last surround system for the big screen in the game room and was less than impressed considering the effort put in.
So whats a system like this run on average? And is it scalable?

• Banned

We've been wanting to go all internet TV and the like but we dont want to spend a shit ton of money on a setup in a huge house we plan on selling in the near future when the Wife retires.
Kinda want the new house to be wired throughout with all the bells and whistles so it can be controlled throughout with the internet.
Garage doors,lighting,and all the rest.
But that sound system sounds bad ass!!!! I crawled my ass through the tightest spots in the attic to install my last surround system for the big screen in the game room and was less than impressed considering the effort put in.
So whats a system like this run on average? And is it scalable?
Well I ditched cable years ago and toyed with different online providers and settled with Sling finally. I bought a 4k ROKU box, not a stick, and it is INFINITELY better than any of the other devices I tried. I had about 800 DVD movies and sold all of them at a place called Vintage Stock and rebought all the good ones digitally in UHD format on VUDU.
My TV (KS8000) "was" a top of the line rated TV in 2016 when I bought it and it has ARC pass-through. That is vital! It eliminates the need for separate audio cables to feed the amp because it sends the audio back through the hdmi cable that feeds it to the TV.
Then you have to make sure your amp has 4k pass through and arc capable hdmi ports. Most of the newer quality ams should have all this by now. So all audio & video feeds go into the amp first then out to the tv via 4k pass through. It takes the tv out of the loop for most audio so you don't lose audio quality.
Outside of that I am running 4 ft Klipsch towers for the front. A massive Klipsch center channel & Boston surrounds & subs. I don't actually have the up firing drivers yet for the full effect of Dolby Atmos but the difference is still tremendous.
All together I think I probably have about 8 to 10k invested but those are mostly old prices from years past. The newest piece I have is the onkyo amp.
Its all fed through a MONSTER power control unit that monitors literally everything from video noise to audio spikes to surges in power. Anything blows thats connected to it, it's replaced free of charge. All speakers and hdmi's are also gold plated monster cables.

I also just bought a new gaming rig and I need to get a different entertainment center to accommodate it with everything else. At that point I'm buying a new TV and mounting it above the fireplace.
20200811_185756.jpg

Does a movie that old support 4k and Dolby Atmos?
I don't have a clue- electronics, to me, is all FM- I just know it has some bad ass sounds in it. I heard it on a friends surround sound years ago and I swear you could have heard it in downtown Houston- from Deer Park, about 30 miles away as the crow flies.

Forum List

Back