Dogs of the Quiet Variety

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Whenever I move, I hope to have a dog again. HOWEVER: I work at home, in a remote call center. This means I can't have a noisy yapper sounding off at any given moment when I get my own place.

Where I am now has three cats, and I can see being a cat person again, but I <3 dogs. Any recommends for reasonably quiet breeds that don't need a literal shit-ton of exercise? (Not that I couldn't use it myself.)

Whenever I move, I hope to have a dog again. HOWEVER: I work at home, in a remote call center. This means I can't have a noisy yapper sounding off at any given moment when I get my own place.

Where I am now has three cats, and I can see being a cat person again, but I <3 dogs. Any recommends for reasonably quiet breeds that don't need a literal shit-ton of exercise? (Not that I couldn't use it myself.)

Just taped its mouth shut
:eek:

Here's a guide to 'quieter' dog types. Smaller dogs seem to bark more so than larger dogs, as a general rule.

Quiet Dog Breeds Barking Dogs Barkless Dogs, Non Barking Dogs

Of course, rescued is the best kind of breed to get! Our new little guy didn't bark at all the first few weeks . . . yeah, he got over that. Both dogs will bark and/or yip at dogs walking by when they are inside or at the UPS guy or something. Penny (the white one) doesn't bark at much else. On walks the only thing she'll bark/growl at is another dog that she doesn't like. Dio? Whole 'nuther ball of wax. He seems to bark at lots of things. Trucks driving by . . he actually pulls/lunges at them; other dogs barking, kids riding by on bikes, other dogs. I'm pretty sure that except for the barking at other dogs the rest of it is out of uncertainty/fear. It's ridiculous though so we're going to try training him with a distraction/cause/effect method. Yup, the old squirt with a water bottle at un-necessary/unwanted barking.

Do some research and when you're ready check out the local shelter for a month or two.

she's banned? :cool:

oh wait...:doubt:

she's banned? :cool:

oh wait...:doubt:

Have some Grace Trajan :lol:

Here's a guide to 'quieter' dog types. Smaller dogs seem to bark more so than larger dogs, as a general rule.

Of course, rescued is the best kind of breed to get! Our new little guy didn't bark at all the first few weeks . . . yeah, he got over that. Both dogs will bark and/or yip at dogs walking by when they are inside or at the UPS guy or something. Penny (the white one) doesn't bark at much else. On walks the only thing she'll bark/growl at is another dog that she doesn't like. Dio? Whole 'nuther ball of wax. He seems to bark at lots of things. Trucks driving by . . he actually pulls/lunges at them; other dogs barking, kids riding by on bikes, other dogs. I'm pretty sure that except for the barking at other dogs the rest of it is out of uncertainty/fear. It's ridiculous though so we're going to try training him with a distraction/cause/effect method. Yup, the old squirt with a water bottle at un-necessary/unwanted barking.

Do some research and when you're ready check out the local shelter for a month or two.

I absolutely always do rescue dogs. I would prefer a 5-8 year-old dog, since they are already trained. I would likely only get one, since we found that two would egg each other on in the noise department. One could be catatonic, and the other would start yipping like Dino, from the Flintstones. The sleeping one would start barking, and she wouldn't even know why. It was just time to join the chorus.

I'll likely go through Petfinder.com.

Basenji-Dog-Wallpaper-5.gif

I am informed that this breed, the Basenji, never barks.

Cute, isn't it?

I absolutely always do rescue dogs. I would prefer a 5-8 year-old dog, since they are already trained. I would likely only get one, since we found that two would egg each other on in the noise department. One could be catatonic, and the other would start yipping like Dino, from the Flintstones. The sleeping one would start barking, and she wouldn't even know why. It was just time to join the chorus.

I'll likely go through Petfinder.com.

Adopt a retired greyhound. They're used to confined space, they are quiet, as well as smart and friendly.

rescuse greyhounds are big animals.....but they are quiet

if i were going with a large dog...it would be a doberman.....perhaps i am not all that objective about that....i have 3 dogs....they all bark at given times....

Here's the thing. Canines in the wild rarely vocalize. It's mainly a "dog" thing. And that's because they are around humans alot. "Barking" is probably the way they are trying to "talk" with humans.

buddy wont bark till someone stares at him....then he will bark at them.....my dogs like to bark at things outside....one dog false barks....i hate that

Forum List

Back