Dog Vomit

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
So the little guy isn't a fan of the car. He's barfed 9 times total on about 5 car trips. It seems to be nerves that get to him because the next day uh, the opposite end of him is a loose mess to clean up. We once got advice to take dogs on short trips (like to the bank or to get gas, stuff like that) so they associate the car with 'ooo, fun! look at the squirrel! mah head can too fit out the window, wweeee!' instead of 'car = vet = Baaad'.

Do most dogs get over the whole vomit thing eventually? We took him to a park that is literally 5 minutes from our house and he was ok . . . drooling but no vomit. Took him to the pet store that is less than 10 minutes away and LOTS of drool but no vomit. Took him to a different pet store that is less than 10 minutes away and he vomed just as we pulled into the parking lot and again on the way home just as we pulled into the neighborhood.

Any suggestions for this or is this just a wait-and-see proposition? Do lots of 5 minute rides and slowly make them longer?

As an aside, the two of them are outside now (it finally stopped raining) and are playing tug-of-sockie. TOO freakin' cute!

None of my dogs vomit, but I have one who gets insanely excited and tries to lunge into the front seat, etc. For the first year I had her we went to training classes once a week, as well as some vet visits. Everytime we went in the car there was something extremely exciting at the end of the journey. Too exciting. On the way home she is calm, she knows we're heading home. She's almost eight years old now and still acts crazy when we go in the car, but is calm on the way home (exhausted maybe!).

But if I were to work on this problem, I would take short runs where we just go around the block and come home. In other words, let her learn that it's not always something outrageously exciting at the end of a car trip. I don't bother working on it because I'm not one to take them in the car because I wouldn't want to leave them unattended if I was shopping or something. I'd be worried sick the whole time I was in the store. LOL

This is only my opinion, but I think your idea of short 5 minute trips, even just around the block, sounds like a good way to work on this. Don't go longer than that for a while. Then gradually make the trips a little bit longer. Unless it is something physical, of course, if the movement of the car is making her sick...well, that's another matter.

Last edited:
When you plan a trip for your pet make sure that you limit the amount of fluid intake vs the heavier food intake. It is better that nothing is sloshing around. My cat loved alcoholic beverages (beer)... She'd get fanatical in the car... I learned early to not allow her to drink more than she ate. It is the same basic law with humans, I am sure...

None of my dogs vomit, but I have one who gets insanely excited and tries to lunge into the front seat, etc. For the first year I had her we went to training classes once a week, as well as some vet visits. Everytime we went in the car there was something extremely exciting at the end of the journey. Too exciting. On the way home she is calm, she knows we're heading home. She's almost eight years old now and still acts crazy when we go in the car, but is calm on the way home (exhausted maybe!).

But if I were to work on this problem, I would take short runs where we just go around the block and come home. In other words, let her learn that it's not always something outrageously exciting at the end of a car trip. I don't bother working on it because I'm not one to take them in the car because I wouldn't want to leave them unattended if I was shopping or something. I'd be worried sick the whole time I was in the store. LOL

This is only my opinion, but I think your idea of short 5 minute trips, even just around the block, sounds like a good way to work on this. Don't go longer than that for a while. Then gradually make the trips a little bit longer. Unless it is something physical, of course, if the movement of the car is making her sick...well, that's another matter.

Our older dog, Penny (the white on in my avi) LOVES car rides! When we first got her from the spca she was also just 10 months old and wouldn't get in the car. I started with her with short trips -- going to the bank to get a dog treat was a great trip -- and she learned to love the rides and gets spazzy when you ask her if she wants to go for one. She has also barfed once or twice on a longer trip but mostly she just gets really excited. And just like your dog, she is much calmer on the ride home. Dogs are smart!

When you plan a trip for your pet make sure that you limit the amount of fluid intake vs the heavier food intake. It is better that nothing is sloshing around. My cat loved alcoholic beverages (beer)... She'd get fanatical in the car... I learned early to not allow her to drink more than she ate. It is the same basic law with humans, I am sure...

Yeah, Dio hurled his dinner all over the floor of the car. On the ride home from the spca he didn't have anything left to come up, just liquid. :(

I"m thinking the short, short rides too. The kids start school in two weeks and I give them a ride to the bus stop (about 1/4 mile away). I"ll start there and the close-by park. Hopefully he'll get over this whole puking thing!

I have one pug that you can not put in the car. We have had her for years and tired all the stuff listed above and no luck.

I guess some dogs just dont travel.

PS I can get her to travel but I have to give her benadryl and let her go to sleep and hope she does not wake up before we get there.

What if it's actual motion sickness that makes them ill? Then I wouldn't think it would make any difference if they didn't barf on 5 minute rides, cuz they would still barf when the motion got to them...it might be at the 10 minute mark, or whatever.

I had a dog crap in my car once. That was nice.

So the little guy isn't a fan of the car. He's barfed 9 times total on about 5 car trips. It seems to be nerves that get to him because the next day uh, the opposite end of him is a loose mess to clean up. We once got advice to take dogs on short trips (like to the bank or to get gas, stuff like that) so they associate the car with 'ooo, fun! look at the squirrel! mah head can too fit out the window, wweeee!' instead of 'car = vet = Baaad'.

Do most dogs get over the whole vomit thing eventually? We took him to a park that is literally 5 minutes from our house and he was ok . . . drooling but no vomit. Took him to the pet store that is less than 10 minutes away and LOTS of drool but no vomit. Took him to a different pet store that is less than 10 minutes away and he vomed just as we pulled into the parking lot and again on the way home just as we pulled into the neighborhood.

Any suggestions for this or is this just a wait-and-see proposition? Do lots of 5 minute rides and slowly make them longer?

As an aside, the two of them are outside now (it finally stopped raining) and are playing tug-of-sockie. TOO freakin' cute!

doe shes barf when/if she is able to look out a window?

Your vet can give you something that may help. We had to travel across the country with a cat who vomited and did all kinds of nasty stuff. We gave him some pills and they seem to worked, but the cat was a little weird.

I would guess that the dog simply has motion sickness. Get a pill from your vet and watch what you feed before the trip so as to minimize the damage.

Well, we took him for his 'fixing' on Wed. It's a 5 minute ride to the highway, about 12 miniutes on the highway, then another 5 minutes to clinic. He was fine (drooly and all but no barfing) the whole ride. He watched the cars, following them with his eyes as they went by, on the highway. As we pulled into the place . . . blurp, all over the floor of the car. Coming home he was ok but he was also dopey from the surgery. It seems to be better if he looks out the window and we're moving. rather than just driving/turning.

Maybe it's an inner ear thing!

Hmm, I never thought of that. Could be.

Your vet can give you something that may help. We had to travel across the country with a cat who vomited and did all kinds of nasty stuff. We gave him some pills and they seem to worked, but the cat was a little weird.

I would guess that the dog simply has motion sickness. Get a pill from your vet and watch what you feed before the trip so as to minimize the damage.

Yeah, if he doesn't seem to settle with it I'd def get something from the vet for long trips. I'm still hoping he relaxes and enjoys it. He's figure out looking out the window is interesting. Wait till fall when all the squirrels are running around!

Well, we took him for his 'fixing' on Wed. It's a 5 minute ride to the highway, about 12 miniutes on the highway, then another 5 minutes to clinic. He was fine (drooly and all but no barfing) the whole ride. He watched the cars, following them with his eyes as they went by, on the highway. As we pulled into the place . . . blurp, all over the floor of the car. Coming home he was ok but he was also dopey from the surgery. It seems to be better if he looks out the window and we're moving. rather than just driving/turning.

Maybe it's an inner ear thing!

Hmm, I never thought of that. Could be.

Yeah, if he doesn't seem to settle with it I'd def get something from the vet for long trips. I'm still hoping he relaxes and enjoys it. He's figure out looking out the window is interesting. Wait till fall when all the squirrels are running around!
As I understand it, motion sickness has little to do with the stomach but rather the equilibrium. For humans it usually helps to keep your eyes on the horizon such as when you drive. That's hard for a dog, so if it's a chronic condition then you have to look to drugs.

Your dog is susceptible to motion sickness. I don't know if Dramamine will work for a dog, or a correct dosage, but a vet can tell you.

Forum List

Back