Dog on the Balcony

Kooshdakhaa

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2011
Alaska
Why do I have to see these things. When I walk my dogs I pass by a small apartment building, 4-plex maybe, and lately there has been a dog out on a 2nd floor balcony every time I pass by.

It's not a large balcony, it's small...maybe 4' x 8'.

Anyway, every damn time, no matter the time of day, there that poor dog is. Today when I went by the dog was barking at my dogs and a guy came out, no shirt on, big fat white belly hanging out. He told the dog to shut up and the dog immediately crouched down, laid down. That's a bad sign, concerns me that the dog is accustomed to being hit.

So what do I do?

I'm afraid that if I call Animal Control with my concerns they'll contact the guy and it will just make it worse for the dog. He'll take it out on the dog.

I was thinking about knocking on the guy's door and offering to buy the dog. I'm not exactly made of money. Some of my Dad's land he left us might sell soon, though, and I could choose this as my special celebration treat to myself. Knock on the guy's door and say, "I'll give you $500 for that dog out there on the balcony. I used to have one that looked like that and she was my best dog ever!" Something like that. I don't want to put him on the defensive.

Maybe I should try to make contact with one of those radical animal rights groups. This might be just the type of rescue they'd enjoy taking on. I can also research it a little more, ask around the neighborhood. Maybe the owners take the dog out for walks and stuff that I just haven't witnessed. But I did ask some kids that were near by if the dog was always out on the balcony, and they said "Yeah."

I just pray that the dog has some pleasure in life, other than wasting away out on that balcony.

I can't stand this kind of thing. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Wish I were in a place to send ya a few bucks to help out. I like the offer to buy the pup.

I hate seeing that sort of thing as well.

There is a dog on a leash in a yard near here... I pass by and he is always on the damn chain, but one day I was driving by and I saw a young boy out there playing with the dog and he seemed sooooo happy to have some attention.
That made me feel better (sort of), but I still hate seeing a dog on a chain.

Keep us up to date on what happemd OK?

You have a big heart and thats a good thing.

Offering to buy the dog sounds like a good idea. Be super nice to the guy . . maybe you'll get lucky and get the dog out of there.

I don't understand why people have pets then totally ignore them like this; it's animal abuse, imo.

How could anyone be mean to an animal, let alone their very own dog or cat? :sad:

buying the dog wont solve the problem...he will just get another one....

tough...i hate to see this and i see it a lot in the country

I checked on the dog several times today. At 3:00 p.m., 5:30 p.m., 7:15 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. He was out on the tiny balcony every time. I went back and took a picture. Will upload it and show you when I have more time.

I think tomorrow I am going to make an anonymous call to our Animal Control and see how they would handle something like this. Will also call the local SPCA and Humane Societies.

Document the dog on balcony when the weather makes it a clear case of abandonment/abuse.

Have a witness, too, along with your photos just to make the case airtight

Then contact the ASPCA.

I think what a lot of people fail to realize is that keeping a dog alone is abuse.

Dogs are highly social creatures and yet many of them are living lives of basic solitary confinement on the end of chain, in a house, whereever.

They're fed and watered, but they're also being psychologically abused, too and the idiot owners don't seem to even notice (or care?)

Why do I have to see these things. When I walk my dogs I pass by a small apartment building, 4-plex maybe, and lately there has been a dog out on a 2nd floor balcony every time I pass by.

Anyway, every damn time, no matter the time of day, there that poor dog is. Today when I went by the dog was barking at my dogs and a guy came out, no shirt on, big fat white belly hanging out. He told the dog to shut up and the dog immediately crouched down, laid down. That's a bad sign, concerns me that the dog is accustomed to being hit.

So what do I do?

I'm afraid that if I call Animal Control with my concerns they'll contact the guy and it will just make it worse for the dog. He'll take it out on the dog.

I was thinking about knocking on the guy's door and offering to buy the dog. I'm not exactly made of money. Some of my Dad's land he left us might sell soon, though, and I could choose this as my special celebration treat to myself. Knock on the guy's door and say, "I'll give you $500 for that dog out there on the balcony. I used to have one that looked like that and she was my best dog ever!" Something like that. I don't want to put him on the defensive.

Maybe I should try to make contact with one of those radical animal rights groups. This might be just the type of rescue they'd enjoy taking on. I can also research it a little more, ask around the neighborhood. Maybe the owners take the dog out for walks and stuff that I just haven't witnessed. But I did ask some kids that were near by if the dog was always out on the balcony, and they said "Yeah."

I just pray that the dog has some pleasure in life, other than wasting away out on that balcony.

I'm not sure you have enough information to declare that this dog is being abused or is unhappy. What does the race, weight or gender of the owner matter at all? My sister's dog immediately responds when I tell him to settle down. That isn't a sign of him being accustomed to being hit, it's a sign of good training.

There is either more to the story than you're telling us or you're just making assumptions. Is the porch clean? Is the dog healthy?

steal the dog...simple as that...but he will just replace the dog.....

I would consider that. But the dog is on a 2nd floor balcony.

I know he might replace the dog, even if I buy it from him. But THIS dog's life matters to me. Maybe I can do something for THIS dog, you know?

Donate that $500 to an animal shelter.

I AM an animal shelter. I have a special purpose facility license in my city to have a larger than normal number of animals. My house gets inpsected and I must renew the license every two years. Which costs money. As does all the food and toys and treats and vet care for the 11 animals I have.

So, if I'm going to let loose of $500 I want it to have a specific and tangible result.

I am concerned about THIS dog in particular. I may be his only hope, don't you see?

So what do I do?

I'm not sure you have enough information to declare that this dog is being abused or is unhappy. What does the race, weight or gender of the owner matter at all? My sister's dog immediately responds when I tell him to settle down. That isn't a sign of him being accustomed to being hit, it's a sign of good training.

There is either more to the story than you're telling us or you're just making assumptions. Is the porch clean? Is the dog healthy?

More to the story than I'm telling? What is THAT supposd to mean.

Haven't you ever head of descriptive writing?

"The lovely, blond woman stepped gracefully into the elevator."

"A young girl, painfully thin and wearing a haunted expression, stepped from the crowd."

"A man stepped through the door, wearing no shirt, his large white belly exposed."

I simply described what I saw. Jeez, the sun was shining off that big, white belly, practically blinded me, it wasn't something you would miss. :lol:

And by the way, I know what a dog looks like when it "cowers."

As for not having enough information, that's why I haven't acted yet. I'm going to be asking around the neighborhood, checking by there at different times.

Making assumptions, my ass. Dogs are social creatures. They're not supposed to be forced to live their lives on a 4 x 6 balcony. Just because the dog has food and water and its poop picked up doesn't mean he's not being abused.

Document the dog on balcony when the weather makes it a clear case of abandonment/abuse.

Have a witness, too, along with your photos just to make the case airtight

Then contact the ASPCA.

I think what a lot of people fail to realize is that keeping a dog alone is abuse.

Dogs are highly social creatures and yet many of them are living lives of basic solitary confinement on the end of chain, in a house, whereever.

They're fed and watered, but they're also being psychologically abused, too and the idiot owners don't seem to even notice (or care?)

This seems to be the course I am taking...gathering information, talking to people. I will probably call the ASPCA for advice. Depending on what they say, I will decide whether I trust them to handle it or not.

The dog's welfare is of the utmost importance to me.

Perhaps you should just mind your own business. You're obviously doing plenty as it is, caring for animals.

For every dog you "save" there are tens of thousands more that are truly abused.

Perhaps you should just mind your own business. You're obviously doing plenty as it is, caring for animals.

For every dog you "save" there are tens of thousands more that are truly abused.

I guess you didn't read my signature, did you. Mind my own business, indeed. This dog IS my busines.

Someone abuses an animal, it IS my business. And THIS dog matters.

Mind my own business. You've got to be kidding.

$Balcony.jpg

I finally got up the courage and knocked on their door tonight. The big surprise was how nice they were. I was rehearsing my speech all day. They were really bemused that someone wanted to buy the dog. Said he didn't have any papers, etc. why would anyone want to buy him. I said, well, I can't just come here and ask you to just give me the dog, now can I? We all laughed. Apparently, they are only planning to stay in the apartment for a year, at which time they hope to buy a house. The woman acknowledged that is a long time for him to be on that little balcony. At this point I didn't ask about shelter in the winter, that sort of thing. One step at a time.

They asked me if I wanted to see the dog, and got him off the balcony for me. He is such a sweet dog! Big, taller than my Dobies, but quite thin. Also dirty, from the balcony, no doubt, and shedding a lot (never gets brushed). He came right up to me and laid his head against my leg.

The man took the dog out to go potty while I was there, and I was glad to see that he does get those breaks from the balcony. The guy is working odd shifts, can't really spend much time with the dog. He said he used to take him everywhere, they used to have a yard. The dog is used to a lot more room than this confined space.

They found him on the side of the road, can you believe it!? They RESCUED him! They think he's about two years old, as he was pretty young when they found him. He's the best dog they ever had, they say. : (

Anyway, they are going to think about it. I offered them $300, left my name and number. He is neutered, hallelujah. They said he is a very good dog, loves other dogs, not a fighter. Not sure about cats, he tries to chase them when outside. I said so do my dogs. : ) Their own cats they don't bother, but outside it's different.

This is kind of poignant, because I know if they sell him they will be doing it for him...so he can have a yard, etc., not for the money. I told them my address and suggested they drive by and look at the yard. I even told them they can come in the house to check it out. They are a nice young couple, have a little girl, probably about two years old.

If they decide not to sell him to me, I will not feel as bad as I would if I hadn't met them and talked to them. I think they might see through my "I used to have a dog like that" yarn and realize I am really concerned for the dog. I talked quite a bit about how my home is "all about dogs." They're so nice I can even see keeping in touch with them, maybe even borrow him for an outing once in a while. Maybe my visit will make them more aware of his needs.

What am I doing, I'm a crazy person. I just can't stand to see an animal suffer! Because the bottom line is that dog is spending waaaaay too much time by himself out on that balcony.

Maybe if they come over to my house they will see how the dogs actually live inside the house, part of the family. I think they think he's SUPPOSED to be kept outside. Of course, the apartment is so tiny...

Well, tonight maybe I'll get some sleep. At least I know they're not monsters.

Oh...his name is Beau. : )

So what do I do?

My daughter experienced the same (neighbor kids only taking the dog out of the garage to torment it, man! was she pissed). She called it in.

I finally got up the courage and knocked on their door tonight. The big surprise was how nice they were. I was rehearsing my speech all day. They were really bemused that someone wanted to buy the dog. Said he didn't have any papers, etc. why would anyone want to buy him. I said, well, I can't just come here and ask you to just give me the dog, now can I? We all laughed. Apparently, they are only planning to stay in the apartment for a year, at which time they hope to buy a house. The woman acknowledged that is a long time for him to be on that little balcony. At this point I didn't ask about shelter in the winter, that sort of thing. One step at a time.

They asked me if I wanted to see the dog, and got him off the balcony for me. He is such a sweet dog! Big, taller than my Dobies, but quite thin. Also dirty, from the balcony, no doubt, and shedding a lot (never gets brushed). He came right up to me and laid his head against my leg.

The man took the dog out to go potty while I was there, and I was glad to see that he does get those breaks from the balcony. The guy is working odd shifts, can't really spend much time with the dog. He said he used to take him everywhere, they used to have a yard. The dog is used to a lot more room than this confined space.

They found him on the side of the road, can you believe it!? They RESCUED him! They think he's about two years old, as he was pretty young when they found him. He's the best dog they ever had, they say. : (

Anyway, they are going to think about it. I offered them $300, left my name and number. He is neutered, hallelujah. They said he is a very good dog, loves other dogs, not a fighter. Not sure about cats, he tries to chase them when outside. I said so do my dogs. : ) Their own cats they don't bother, but outside it's different.

This is kind of poignant, because I know if they sell him they will be doing it for him...so he can have a yard, etc., not for the money. I told them my address and suggested they drive by and look at the yard. I even told them they can come in the house to check it out. They are a nice young couple, have a little girl, probably about two years old.

If they decide not to sell him to me, I will not feel as bad as I would if I hadn't met them and talked to them. I think they might see through my "I used to have a dog like that" yarn and realize I am really concerned for the dog. I talked quite a bit about how my home is "all about dogs." They're so nice I can even see keeping in touch with them, maybe even borrow him for an outing once in a while. Maybe my visit will make them more aware of his needs.

What am I doing, I'm a crazy person. I just can't stand to see an animal suffer! Because the bottom line is that dog is spending waaaaay too much time by himself out on that balcony.

Maybe if they come over to my house they will see how the dogs actually live inside the house, part of the family. I think they think he's SUPPOSED to be kept outside. Of course, the apartment is so tiny...

Well, tonight maybe I'll get some sleep. At least I know they're not monsters.

Oh...his name is Beau. : )

That's not a crazy person description. That's an "I have a big heart, and I genuinely care about animals" description.

You rock.

New Topics

Forum List

Back