Dog mourns at casket of fallen Navy SEAL

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Dog mourns at casket of fallen Navy SEAL - TODAY Pets & Animals - TODAY.com

Navy SEAL Jon Tumilson lay in a coffin, draped in an American flag, in front of a tearful audience mourning his death in Afghanistan. Soon an old friend appeared, and like a fellow soldier on a battlefield, his loyal dog refused to leave him behind.

Tumilson’s Labrador retriever, Hawkeye, was photographed lying by Tumilson’s casket in a heart-wrenching image taken at the funeral service in Tumilson’s hometown of Rockford, Iowa, earlier this week. Hawkeye walked up to the casket at the beginning of the service and then dropped down with a heaving sigh as about 1,500 mourners witnessed a dog accompanying his master until the end, reported CBS.

This is why we say dogs aren't just animals.

Gentlemen of the Jury: a man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens. If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies, and when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death."

Tribute to the Dog attributed to Senator Vest, 1869

There is an old Twilight Zone episode called "The Hunt" which tells the story of dog loyalty in a unique way. It can be found on YouTube or Hulu.

By the way.........did you guys know that dogs are telepathic?

Dogs are so in tune with us that they can read our minds, according to a new Learning & Behavior study that also determined canines are probably born with the ability.

Practice makes perfect, however, so the more a dog hangs around humans, the better he or she becomes at "canine telepathy," which actually relies upon hyperawareness of the senses.

Those of us who have owned or been around dogs for any period of time know how well they often "get" us, sensing tiredness, depression, headaches or other maladies before we consciously exhibit any major outward signs of distress. Dogs can even detect when a person has cancer. They also seem to sense our joy and good health.

Dogs Likely Born with 'Canine Telepathy' : Discovery News

But then again........anyone who has watched "The Dog Whisperer" already knew that.

• Banned
By the way.........did you guys know that dogs are telepathic?

Dogs are so in tune with us that they can read our minds, according to a new Learning & Behavior study that also determined canines are probably born with the ability.

Practice makes perfect, however, so the more a dog hangs around humans, the better he or she becomes at "canine telepathy," which actually relies upon hyperawareness of the senses.

Those of us who have owned or been around dogs for any period of time know how well they often "get" us, sensing tiredness, depression, headaches or other maladies before we consciously exhibit any major outward signs of distress. Dogs can even detect when a person has cancer. They also seem to sense our joy and good health.

Dogs Likely Born with 'Canine Telepathy' : Discovery News

But then again........anyone who has watched "The Dog Whisperer" already knew that.

Earlier tonight I spent some time with my best friend, who came bearing my fur niece, Mitzi.

In the months that followed me losing my girls (then 8 y/o Belle and 5 y/o Orli), I was heartbroken. I was on a day trip with said friend, and she had a hair appointment. I stayed in the car with Mitzi, and she gave me her paw, which I held while I cried. That hour in the car was quite cathartic. Mitzi would make a great therapy dog.

Forum List

Back