Dog Culture

As a retired bastard, I find that more and more of my friends and acquaintances are having their lives impacted (and enriched?) by their family dogs. I've thought about getting a dog myself, but when they made the rule about having to pick up the dog's Schidt, I pretty much dropped the thought.

Get a liberal dog, they eat their own shit.

As a retired bastard, I find that more and more of my friends and acquaintances are having their lives impacted (and enriched?) by their family dogs. I've thought about getting a dog myself, but when they made the rule about having to pick up the dog's Schidt, I pretty much dropped the thought.

The other day, two friends who are choir members told me that they had to miss choir practice because they were watching their "grand-dog," who requires a lot of personal attention. This is a choir that, in the Covid Era, has only a dozen or so members, so missing the two of them was significant. And the dog is too sensitive to remain in a cage for two hours?

Other friends literally never go on vacation because it's such a hassle finding a place that will accept their dog(s), and putting them in a kennel is so expensive. They leave social events early because the dogs will be tearing up the house if they are out too long (true).

Often the dogs are totally untrained, so that people don't visit the households because they don't want to be pestered constantly by the dogs. And I'm really not interested in tales of funny things the dogs have gotten into. (I am not MUCH interested in stories about the grand-kids, much less the dogs).

Dogs can be a significant expense, especially when they get older. Dog food is generally cheap, but veterinarians have to make a living, eh? Cancer treatments, shots for diabetes, regular visits...they add up.

I see more of my neighbors when they are walking their dogs than at any other time. For most of the dog-walkers, I'd bet that they have no other hobby or avocation that takes up as much time as their 2 or three-a-day dog walks - which are not cancelled when the weather gets bad.

Then of course when the dogs die, they are devastated for months - much more so than when a close relative dies.

I think it's perverse. I understand that there are times when having a dog enriches one's life, but the trade-offs make no sense to me.
Replace ‘dog’ with ‘child’ or ‘elderly parent’. Most say the burdens are worth the payoff. My wife and have had Goldens for 4 decades but have none now just for the convenience issues you’ve stated. But a day doesn’t go by where I don’t miss my dogs. One day God willing we’ll get another Goldie.

When the Man waked up he said, 'What is Wild Dog doing here?'

And the Woman said, 'His name is not Wild Dog any more, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always.'
- Rudyard Kipling

Get a cat. When you want to give them attention they ignore you, when you're too busy for them they want attention............ Oh and cats think they own their human.

Forum List

Back