Dog Breeds

Beagles. I love beagles. I am a qualified AKC Field Trial Judge and qualified UBGF Beagle Show Judge. My wife and I raised, field trialed and showed beagles for over 18 years. My wife also assisted a fellow in writing a children's book about beagles. We had a big kennel and raised and sold beagle puppies for a long time. Had 45 adult beagles at one time and one year was being considered for Purnia's Field Trial Dog of the year. Had to close the kennel down 5 years ago but I sure do miss them. Only have two beagles at this time. Oh yeah - have had pictures of our beagles in the annual dog calendars for almost 20 years.

I've had German Shepherds all my life. If you get a good one you've got the best dog on the planet IMO
. Of course I'm biased.

I've done Shutzhund, Obedience and tried herding with my GSD's. Great in the Shutzhund and Obedience. The GSD herding is different from what you would do with a BC or an Aussie. They patrol around the sheep to keep them in one spot.

I've also had two Border Collies. Both of them were awesome herding dogs. Trialed them both. Lost my last one Jake, this year. He was a rescue. Some idiot just had to have a Border Collie. He spent the first ten months of his life in a pen out back. Assholes didn't need a dog. A cement lawn ornament would have worked just as well.

I ended up with Jake and he turned into one hell of a trial dog. He could work em from 30 or so feet back. Super eye and a hell of a dog. I still miss the old boy.

Border Collies are so smart and trainable that they scare you. Nothing you couldn't teach one to do. I did obedience and herding with Red my first BC. He was awesome at both disciplines and lived to work. Same with Jake.

Super dogs but not for everyone. No couch potatoes in the BC world.

German Shepherds were my first love, and I was involved in rescue with them for many years - they are indeed incredible dogs! I've done obedience, agility but never Shutzhund, and I've done herding with Cowboy with sheep and cattle, until his back got bad. He's a working bred dog and he loved it. I've read about herding with GSD's and that they are a a "tending" breed but it's hard to find places that do that type of herding. Most are set up for BC style work.

I love those herding breeds!

I've had German Shepherds all my life. If you get a good one you've got the best dog on the planet IMO
. Of course I'm biased.

I've done Shutzhund, Obedience and tried herding with my GSD's. Great in the Shutzhund and Obedience. The GSD herding is different from what you would do with a BC or an Aussie. They patrol around the sheep to keep them in one spot.

I've also had two Border Collies. Both of them were awesome herding dogs. Trialed them both. Lost my last one Jake, this year. He was a rescue. Some idiot just had to have a Border Collie. He spent the first ten months of his life in a pen out back. Assholes didn't need a dog. A cement lawn ornament would have worked just as well.

I ended up with Jake and he turned into one hell of a trial dog. He could work em from 30 or so feet back. Super eye and a hell of a dog. I still miss the old boy.

Border Collies are so smart and trainable that they scare you. Nothing you couldn't teach one to do. I did obedience and herding with Red my first BC. He was awesome at both disciplines and lived to work. Same with Jake.

German Shepherds were my first love, and I was involved in rescue with them for many years - they are indeed incredible dogs! I've done obedience, agility but never Shutzhund, and I've done herding with Cowboy with sheep and cattle, until his back got bad. He's a working bred dog and he loved it. I've read about herding with GSD's and that they are a a "tending" breed but it's hard to find places that do that type of herding. Most are set up for BC style work.

Gotta agree. The Herding breeds rock.

I think the only place you could find GSD herding would be at a specialty show. GSD only. Most herding trials are geared toward the BC, Aussie types.

I had loads of fun going to trial with my guys. The club I belonged to usually had three or four of us who were going to the same show. Just loads of fun.

Of course the dogs don't need you. They have all the instinct in the world and aren't to keen when you try to direct it. LOL Of course they live to work so you can usually get your way on the training.

Both my guys were great dogs with loads of eye and they had no trouble moving those less than intelligent sheep.

I never tried either on cattle. Jakes Mom and Dad were both cattle herders though and he was a McCallum BC. Anyone knowing BC's would take one look at him and say, Ah. A McCallum. Apparantly its a line out West and they work on cattle all the time.

Jake was a shorthaired BC and Red had the long coat. I miss both of them like crazy and will one day have another and go herding once again.

Right now I'm doing obedience with Abbey. She's a GSD mix. Went to our first show last Aug. Pre Novice. She got 191 ot of 200 points and first in her class. She's such a goof and a great dog.

Who the hell couldn't love a dog??

No doggie for me right now...but I get to baby sit my sister's terriers for a couple of weeks next month. They look like these two:

norwich-terrier.jpg

My passion is Australian Shepherds, but I've had a variety of dogs. My current pack is 2 Aussies, an aussie bc mix, a sheltie bc mix and an Akita mix (ok, she's the oddball).

This is one of my boys - he's got back problems now, but he still gets around - nothing gets him down :)

Cowboystandinginwater2.jpg

where did you get your doggy whell chair?

My passion is Australian Shepherds, but I've had a variety of dogs. My current pack is 2 Aussies, an aussie bc mix, a sheltie bc mix and an Akita mix (ok, she's the oddball).

This is one of my boys - he's got back problems now, but he still gets around - nothing gets him down :)

That is great Coyote. Give him a hug for me. What a great friend you are to your friend.

No doggie for me right now...but I get to baby sit my sister's terriers for a couple of weeks next month. They look like these two:

norwich-terrier.jpg

Sweet!

My sister has a Cairn Terrier. Very lovable. Very feisty. Norwich terrier right?

. Of course I'm biased.

Great dogs and I agree. Herding breeds are amazing.

where did you get your doggy whell chair?

It's made by a company called Walkin' Wheels but there are a variety of companies that make them. I like this one because it folds flat, is very adjustable and sturdy.

Hmmm, most of my dogs have been lab crosses. Best dog for kids and other dogs. Also, Golden Retrievers. Either of these two breeds are awesome as good family pets.

Boston Terriers-also really good with kids.

New Topics

Forum List

Back