Does voting for a president based on race constitute as racism?

No gray areas here it is simple black and white.
If the reason you voted for a person was simply because of their race.
Yes it is racist.

Yes it is racist.

It's a bit more complicated than that in my opinion. If you vote for someone because they are, say, hispanic, then this isn't actually racism. It could be defined as race 'favouritism', but not strictly racism. However, if you decide not to vote for someone simply because they are hispanic, then this would be considered race discrimination, or racism.

The difference might seem subtle, but it is there.

Last edited:
I think any decision based on race, either for or against, is racism. Same for sexism, or any other discrimination - age, weight, height, religion, ethnicity, any kind of handicap, what have you.

Hmm. You actually have made me think a bit differently about this. You brought up a good point. Favouring a man over a woman for a job is considered sexism, so the same logic could quite possibly apply when it comes to race.

Sex favouritism/race favouritism

Sex discrimination (sexism)/race discrimination (racism)

Yes it is racist.

It's a bit more complicated than that in my opinion. If you vote for someone because they are, say, hispanic, then this isn't actually racism. It could be defined as race 'favouritism', but not strictly racism. However, if you decide not to vote for someone simply because they are hispanic, then this would be considered race discrimination, or racism.

I know Irish is not a race but back in the day, when so many irish americans voted for Kennedy, were they wrong for it?

What about mormons. When they voted for Romney based on his religious background, were they wrong?

When so many many whites DIDNT vote for Obama because he is black, were they wrong?

When people who hate left handed people did vote for Obama, were they wrong?

You vote for whoever the fuck you want to for whatever reason you want to . That is what is great about being an American.

Dont like it, bitch and complain, just dont leave. We need you here for 2016.

I agree. If your reason for voting for whomever is because they share your pigmentation then yes, racism is involved.

Funny, where does that leave me? I am neither republican or democrat yet I am a black man who voted for Romney? "Reverse Racism" - I think not. I merely voted for the man that I believe could lead the country out of this horrible mess that the democrats (to include the president) have brought to us.

I truly believe that the vast amount of black voters voted for the man (twice) out of a sense of "now we can get OUR guy in there". However, there was one overriding problem with that thinking. Blacks are no better off now, than they were before his first election, so, basically, for the black community - it was a vote for nothing BUT skin color.

Would you consider someone a bigot if they voted for a president base on religion?

Yes. You are a bigot and should not be voting if you are going to be pulling that lever because of a particular religion when you are voting for the POTUS of a secular nation.

As for the racism, it is equally true. If you vote for BO because he is black you are, by definition, being racist. You should have clicked on the dictionary link instead of disregarding the poster:
**a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Your inclusion of 'hate' as a factor is incorrect. You do not need to hate to be a racist. You simply need to believe that race is an inherent factor in the qualifications or abilities of an individual. In the case of voting, you are voting for the 'best' man (or woman) for the job. If that decision boils down to the race of the individual then you have just made a racist decision and need to do some serious self reflection.

Now, if you connect this with OB election, I don't think it is a stretch to claim that racism defiantly helped him because of the initial reaction to the demographics but I am not sure if that is actually true. The real evidence is in the CHANGE of voters not the snapshot of that particular election. IOW, if 95% of blacks voted for Obama BUT 95% (or something close) voted for Carry then the argument falls flat on its face. I actually believe this is somewhat true. Hispanics were the larger swing and I am not sure that you can root that in race.

One good point to make here is that the voters deserve us consider their intentions as good and not racist. IOW, if you are going to claim that race was a large factor in Obama's victory then you had better get some damn strong evidence that is the case. A graph that says X percent voted one way is simply not sufficient. I for one, will not accuse the electorate as a whole of being racist.

Actually citizens have a right to vote base on whatever preferences they see fit. You can vote for Obama base on skin tone and not be racist. For example, I can vote for Obama on the basis that I have more in common with Obama as an African-American, and because I have that same black experience relationship with Obama and because Obama's presence represents what I stand for, I could logically vote for a president like him on the basis of his ethnicity.

Actually citizens have a right to vote base on whatever preferences they see fit. You can vote for Obama base on skin tone and not be racist.
Just to be clear:
You are than saying that citizens have a right to vote base on whatever preferences they see fit. You can vote against Obama base on skin tone and not be racist.
Correct?

"Does voting for a president based on race constitute as racism?"

Absolutely.

I agree. If your reason for voting for whomever is because they share your pigmentation then yes, racism is involved.

Funny, where does that leave me? I am neither republican or democrat yet I am a black man who voted for Romney? "Reverse Racism" - I think not. I merely voted for the man that I believe could lead the country out of this horrible mess that the democrats (to include the president) have brought to us.

I truly believe that the vast amount of black voters voted for the man (twice) out of a sense of "now we can get OUR guy in there". However, there was one overriding problem with that thinking. Blacks are no better off now, than they were before his first election, so, basically, for the black community - it was a vote for nothing BUT skin color.

Would you consider someone a bigot if they voted for a president base on religion?

In no way did I refer to anyone who votes for a particular individual because of the color of their skin a "bigot". I said that "racism is involved". Every human on the face of the earth is guilty of a form of "racism". The vast majority of those do so not as a means of "bigotry", but instead use it as group think. Members of like minded groups tend to gravitate toward each other. It is nature. The majority of the time there is no harm to anyone intended by either the individual or the group as a whole. Unfortunately, there are always exceptions to the rule, I.e., the black panthers, the KKK, the aryans, the Nazis, etc.

Would I consider someone a bigot if they voted for a president based on religion?

I remember when John F Kennedy ran for president. At first, a large portion of the populace was incensed that a Catholic was nominated. No bigotry. fear. A Catholic had never held that office and people's fear was that he would only answer to the Pope, rather than the American people.

So, were those people who did NOT vote for Kennedy bigots? No. They were afraid of the unknown. Much like those who voted against Obama because he is bi-racial. Again, it had never happened before. Unfortunately, ignorance plays a much bigger role than bigotry.

I voted for Romney in spite of his religion. I voted to hire the man best qualified for the job of Chief Executive of this country and nothing more. I voted against Obama, in spite of his "color" because I feel that he is the most unqualified person that has EVER held the office.

No bigotry. Just common sense.

Actually citizens have a right to vote base on whatever preferences they see fit. You can vote for Obama base on skin tone and not be racist.
Just to be clear:
You are than saying that citizens have a right to vote base on whatever preferences they see fit. You can vote against Obama base on skin tone and not be racist.
Correct?

Yes its called prejudice

Just to be clear:
Correct?

Yes its called prejudice
It's called freedom, and it's better than not being able to vote at all.

Yes it is racist.

I know Irish is not a race but back in the day, when so many irish americans voted for Kennedy, were they wrong for it?

What about mormons. When they voted for Romney based on his religious background, were they wrong?

When so many many whites DIDNT vote for Obama because he is black, were they wrong?

When people who hate left handed people did vote for Obama, were they wrong?

You vote for whoever the fuck you want to for whatever reason you want to . That is what is great about being an American.

Dont like it, bitch and complain, just dont leave. We need you here for 2016.

Goes a little deeper than that. If a person votes for somebody like themselves thinking that person will further their interests or the best interests of the country, that's not wrong. Or if a person votes against somebody not like themselves because they believe that person is opposed to their interests or the best interests of the country, nothing wrong with that either.

But if a person arbitrarily votes for or against somebody based on a discriminating factor without regard to their interests or the country's interests, that is a prejudice that is wrong.

I'm not sure what the point here is? Many voted against Obama because of race. I think it is a great mistake to consider Obama the lesser of two evils, there is nothing evil in either man but there are policies and values that do matter.

true dat...

Obama's not an evil dude, but his policies and values suck... that's why I voted against him...

I don't give a flying fuck about what shade of skin Obama has...

and, btw... I also don't give a flying fuck about where he mighta been born...

he's simply, fundamentally not fit to be president...

and, btw... I also don't give a flying fuck about where he mighta been born...

This is where we disagree. It is important where he was born simply because the
Constitution lists three requirements for any individual wishing to become president of the United States. They are:

1. be a native-born U.S. citizens.
2. be at least 35 years of age.
3. have lived in the United States for at least 14 years to be president.

Pretty Simple requirements.

Forum List

Back