Does the President have the power to legalize Marijuana with an Executive Order?

Can Trump or Biden legalize marijuana with an Executive Order or is that outside the scope of Executive Orders?
Interesting question so I had to check. Here is a good source and the short answer is not unless you're talking medicinal only, not recreational.

The following linked article goes into Sanders plan on how he said if elected he'd de-schedule it within 100 days with executive action. The study claims it's unlawful to do so.

The link said:
{...
“Legalization of the use of cannabis for non-medical purposes is inconsistent with . . . [International] Conventions because the Conventions oblige States parties to limit the use of narcotic drugs exclusively to medical and scientific purposes. . .”
...}

But this is clearly wrong because in no way is pot a narcotic.
There has to be a danger to be considered a narcotic, like the risk of over dosing.
And there is no such danger with pot,.
The UN just reclassified pot, removing it from the same category of drugs like Heroin.
The days of basing our policies on Reefer Madness are finally coming to an end.

Can Trump or Biden legalize marijuana with an Executive Order or is that outside the scope of Executive Orders?
Interesting question so I had to check. Here is a good source and the short answer is not unless you're talking medicinal only, not recreational.

The following linked article goes into Sanders plan on how he said if elected he'd de-schedule it within 100 days with executive action. The study claims it's unlawful to do so.

The link said:
{...
“Legalization of the use of cannabis for non-medical purposes is inconsistent with . . . [International] Conventions because the Conventions oblige States parties to limit the use of narcotic drugs exclusively to medical and scientific purposes. . .”
...}

There has to be a danger to be considered a narcotic, like the risk of over dosing.
The UN just reclassified pot, removing it from the same category of drugs like Heroin.
With our current knowledge about marijuana, how it helps millions of people dealing with chronic pain and debilitating diseases, type of glaucoma improved from use...the list goes on but texting from phone... it’s not even rational to classify pot as scheduled I. There are various entities that benefit financially by keeping pot as Schedule 1 drug that are continuing to waste our taxpayer money. Additionally, it’s big time waste of police service hours/ more tax money that should be dedicated to finding the real criminals like child molesters etc.

My question is how are harder drugs given the ability to be legalized?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Right me if I am wrong, but I recently heard it said that heroin and crystal meth are being legalized in the states of California and Oregon.

Here in Oregon heroin and other hard drugs are being decriminalized. Not exactly legal but they might as well be since they will now be treated like a minor traffic offence.

Welcome to the drugged out world of liberaland.

The link said:
{...
...}

With our current knowledge about marijuana, how it helps millions of people dealing with chronic pain and debilitating diseases, type of glaucoma improved from use...the list goes on but texting from phone... it’s not even rational to classify pot as scheduled I. There are various entities that benefit financially by keeping pot as Schedule 1 drug that are continuing to waste our taxpayer money. Additionally, it’s big time waste of police service hours/ more tax money that should be dedicated to finding the real criminals like child molesters etc.

And it stinks to high heaven.

The link said:
{...
...}

And it stinks to high heaven.
One thing that's very stinky/wrong is that by continuing to keep pot illegal in any state and without federal regulation updates, we're basically helping to keep Mexican drug cartels in business. Around 50% of their total US drug profit comes from black market marijuana sales alone. That's a lot of chump change. Take that 50% out of their profit margin and they'll be hurting and won't be able to pay for as many drug runners etc.

Per 2019 court records, Derek S. Maltz, who helped establish the Counter Narco-Terrorism Operations Center (CNTOC) before retiring from the DEA, testified in an Ohio court that, "Mexican drug cartels have utilized techniques which focus on mind manipulation and behavioral modification commonly utilized by organizations such as Al-Qaeda.” Maltz made a strong case to designate Mexican drug cartels as FTOs. FTO designation requires that an organization be foreign, engage in terrorist activity/terrorism or possess the capability and intent to do so, and pose a threat to U.S. nationals or U.S. national security. "Mexican drug cartels are inherently foreign, routinely commit criminal acts within the statutory definition of terrorism and arguably represent a more immediate and ongoing threat to U.S. national security than any of the currently-designated FTOs on the State Department list." Malz informed the panel that cartels “have major hubs in Southern California, Arizona, Chicago, Texas, New York and Atlanta” and have “expanded into South Florida.”

These drug cartels also engage routinely in human trafficking which has been discovered via border inspections but obviously not enough detection as these horrendous crimes are still running under the radar.

All levels of government need to up their game on this, and moving funding/manpower from pot cases to taking down these cartels is a logical way to target them more efficiently. Drug cartels will continue to fester into the US geography until we stop applying band-aids when full tourniquets are needed.

In any case, I don't believe a president can do much more than remove Federal punishments for marijuana. States Rights, and all that. Something Republicans used to pretend to support.
Is this your way of slinking away from an argument you lost while pretending you didn't post degrading and racist shit?

FUCK YOU
No, it was my way of not giving the moderators an excuse to ding me for not addressing the thread topic, to be honest.
Coward

FUCK THE TOPIC and own up to your fails
No fails on my part. Republicans have vilified Brown people since at least Reagan's terms. He was the one who used "Welfare Queens" as his dog whistle and launched his campaign in Philadelphia. Mississippi. Republicans were the ones who then turned on Reagan for granting amnesty to Brown people.

Own your history.

In any case, I don't believe a president can do much more than remove Federal punishments for marijuana. States Rights, and all that. Something Republicans used to pretend to support.
Is this your way of slinking away from an argument you lost while pretending you didn't post degrading and racist shit?

FUCK YOU
No, it was my way of not giving the moderators an excuse to ding me for not addressing the thread topic, to be honest.
Coward

No fails on my part. Republicans have vilified Brown people since at least Reagan's terms. He was the one who used "Welfare Queens" as his dog whistle and launched his campaign in Philadelphia. Mississippi. Republicans were the ones who then turned on Reagan for granting amnesty to Brown people.

Own your history.
I have no history to own. I am not responsible for your blatant racism. Thats on you.

Well sort of. What the President can do is pardon folks wholesale. Anyone arrested for Pot by the Feds could be pardoned before the Criminal Complaint is filled out. When the DEA and Prosecutors complain, start pardoning people who were arrested for Marijuana and other crimes like assaulting a Federal Agent. IN time, the Prosecutors will just stop filing charges against the Pot Smokers. Because the end result is going to be wasted time and effort. The DEA will move on to something else, like Imodium, and demand legislation banning it.

FUCK YOU
Coward

Own your history.
I have no history to own. I am not responsible for your blatant racism. Thats on you.
You're a Republican who votes for Republicans. It's your history. But I understand why you're ashamed.

FUCK YOU
Coward

Own your history.
You're a Republican who votes for Republicans. It's your history. But I understand why you're ashamed.
Just stop, you look like an idiot. YOU called them "brown people" not me. Nor have I ever called them that.
Own your racism & projection.

FUCK YOU
Coward

Own your history.
Just stop, you look like an idiot. YOU called them "brown people" not me. Nor have I ever called them that.
Own your racism & projection.
They are Brown people.
4i6Ckte.gif

Would you prefer 'People of Color'? How butthurt on behalf of Mexicans are you (pretending to be)?

Forum List

Back