Does the GOP Need Univision?

Angelhair

Aug 22, 2009
Just a decade ago, any political candidate who wanted Latinos to pay attention had to get someone else's attention first: Univision.

The largest Spanish-language network in the U.S. was the dominant player in the Latino market – and how they covered a story influenced how Hispanics viewed a political candidate or issue. The network had the power to elevate or sink a candidate.

But Marco’s Rubio’s ongoing saga with Univision underscores how its near stranglehold on the Latino market is weakening as a growing number of networks are now paying attention to the growing political influence of Latinos in the United States.

The rift between Senator Rubio, the Florida senator, and Univision burst into the open over Univision's in-depth story on the conviction of Orlando Cicilia, Rubio's brother-in-law, during the federal-led "Operation Cobra," in the 1980s. According to a report by the The Miami Herald, the Senator's staff felt that the network tried to use the investigation as leverage to strong-arm Rubio into an interview.

Univision, the paper said, offered to soften or even kill the story about the senator’s brother-in-law if he agreed to appear on Al Punto, a weekly news show, to discuss his views on immigration. Sources told Fox News Latino that when Rubio declined to be interviewed by Jorge Ramos, the host of the show, Univision canceled an interview the senator had previously scheduled with a reporter from the network’s Miami affiliate.

Univision has strongly denied the allegation that it made any such offer to Rubio.

“With respect to Senator Rubio, Univision covered the story in the same objective, fair manner we cover every significant story,” the network said in a statement. “Univision did not offer to soften or spike a story...we would not make such an offer to any other subject of a news story and did not offer it in this case."

“There’s obviously a serious disagreement between the Rubio staff and the Univision staff,” said Ana Navarro, a Republican strategist. “Univision has been the dominant political platform to reach Hispanics, but now this will make political candidates take notice of other alternatives out there.”

The GOP has called for a boycott of Univision, and so far several presidential contenders -- Texas Governor Rick Perry, businessman Herman Cain, former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann and former Utah Governor Jon Huntsman -- have said they would boycott Univision's proposed January 29th debate over the flap.

And some candidates are using as leverage the fact that Univision is not the only network where they can go.

"With NBC and Telemundo (Univision's much smaller Spanish-language competitor) also hosting a debate the same weekend in January 2012, we will have ample opportunity to engage with Spanish-speaking Americans," Perry's communication director, Ray Sullivan, wrote in a letter to Univision CEO Randy Falco.

Does the GOP Need Univision? | Fox News Latino

Hell no it does not need Univision!! Univision is the most anti-republican channel in this country!! They are so darn biased in their political reporting it boggles the mind. I often wonder where is the FCC when it comes to this unprofessional 'news' channel. Surely the GOP has people on their staff who track this channel to see and know this.

I don't know whether they are biased or anti Republican or not Angelhair especially since Jorge Ramos was pretty pro Bush during both elections and wrote a book on it in fact. I think that all the Hispanic networks should carry the candidates willing to participate in their forum.

Extortion is illegal in this country.
Univision threatened Rubio with a decades old story about his brother in law unless he came on their show.

Peach can he prove it? If he can then he should go forward with pressing charges against the person who did that.

I don't think he cares, it was so long ago.
It's just the idea that Univison said we will not run this story if you come on our show.
Who does Univison think they are for heaves sake. Trying to force someone to come on their show, because Rubio said no to them.

Last edited:
I don't know whether they are biased or anti Republican or not Angelhair especially since Jorge Ramos was pretty pro Bush during both elections and wrote a book on it in fact. I think that all the Hispanic networks should carry the candidates willing to participate in their forum.

That proves nothing Xchel. Fox has a lot of democrats working on Fox also. Univision NEVER gives the opposing side on any issue. They have to strive to be a lot more professional. Jorge Ramos should step down and just be the reporter on 'Al Punto'. It is not the choice of Univision not to carry the debates - the GOP candidates are boycotting it. They will appear on Telemundo.

Why precisely should Jorge Ramos step down?

Because as far as I'm concerned, he has overstayed his welcome. He is a poor excuse for a journalist. That is mho - but I imagine he is there for the duration - unfortunately.

your opinion doesn't mean squat especially when he is considered the number 1 Hispanic journalist and has a way of moving the Hispanic vote. He has won an Emmy for his journalism.

your opinion doesn't mean squat especially when he is considered the number 1 Hispanic journalist and has a way of moving the Hispanic vote. He has won an Emmy for his journalism.

And contrary to you - you ARE entitled to YOUR opinion - which I guess in your eyes means a lot. I stand by what I said - Jorge Ramos is useless and I don't care how many Emmy's he has won. He came to this country because in his, he was not given the opportunties that he enjoys here yet he strives to encourage people to disrespect immigration laws. If he has stooped to the level of that which he is being accused of, that is enough to be replaced. I suspect that his hands are not clean regarding this issue. Besides, it's time for Univision to change their anti-republican, anti-USA tactics, and biased reporting. They would better serve the latino community if they did. It's time for them to stop adding fuel to the fires that are out there - it only serves to divide.

actually he has never encouraged people to violate immigration laws EVER so if you are going to discuss someone else please make sure that you do not outright lie about that other person, because that is what you are doing.

In Mexico, people are given plenty of opportunities in journalism and music. He was working for a radio station in Mexico. He left because his report was censored in Mexico..meaning he left because he disagreed with being censored..not because there were no opportunities. He never came to the US illegally so not sure what your beef is with his coming to the US. He came with a student visa in 1983 which means he has always been a legal immigrant. In 1986 he became the youngest national anchorman in history at the age of 28. The man is a good journalist and you don't like the fact he is Hispanic and an immigrant that is your real problem with him.

actually he has never encouraged people to violate immigration laws EVER so if you are going to discuss someone else please make sure that you do not outright lie about that other person, because that is what you are doing.

In Mexico, people are given plenty of opportunities in journalism and music. He was working for a radio station in Mexico. He left because his report was censored in Mexico..meaning he left because he disagreed with being censored..not because there were no opportunities. He never came to the US illegally so not sure what your beef is with his coming to the US. He came with a student visa in 1983 which means he has always been a legal immigrant. In 1986 he became the youngest national anchorman in history at the age of 28. The man is a good journalist and you don't like the fact he is Hispanic and an immigrant that is your real problem with him.

It's tiresome to constantly have to deal with people pulling the race card. The fact that he is hispanic is not the issue. He is simply not a good journalist. I would say he is a mediocre journalist. The rest matters little.

Oh that is your issue you are blatantly transparent on what your issue with him is....had you had proof he has ever supported someone violating laws in this country you would have came forward with it...instead you shift tactics...you deliberately tried to smear his character with a lie and that is wrong.

Forum List

Back