Does the Bible speak about cults?

Does the Bible speak about cults? Most cults kill their subjects if they go to church, and there is a set of cults that embrace the Bible but lectured all in upside down interpretations.

The Bible speaks a lot of human decisions and what decisions you should make, for good outcomes.

But what happens when the power of making decisions is taken away from you and everything that you do is the decisions of a cult?

Is the Bible and God capable of advising on that?

Mainstream Bible readers put these cult victims into hell. But is it this simple, to be predestined for hell with no chance of slowing down, or is there more to it, for the minds of people who are not allowed to control themselves?
All religions are cults to some degree
The use of the word cult has taken on a new and more derogatory meaning than its original meaning and use.

Augustine of Hippo echoes Cicero's formulation when he declares, "religion is nothing other than the cultus of God." The term "cult" first appeared in English in 1617, derived from the French culte, meaning "worship" which in turn originated from the Latin word cultus meaning "care, cultivation, worship".

like I said all religions are cults
Yes. But probably not in the sense you think they are.

you have no clue what I think.

Cults like everything else in this world exist on a continuum and you'll notice I said "All religions are cults to some degree".
You are right, I don't, but I am not sure you have proven me wrong just yet. By saying that all religions are cults to some degree seems to imply you see cults as a bad thing. The reality is that by definition ALL religions are cults and that is not a bad thing. At least not if one goes by the original meaning as in to cultivate and to worship.
No that's you making value judgments where I made none.

I merely stated a fact.

Does the Bible speak about cults? Most cults kill their subjects if they go to church, and there is a set of cults that embrace the Bible but lectured all in upside down interpretations.

The Bible speaks a lot of human decisions and what decisions you should make, for good outcomes.

But what happens when the power of making decisions is taken away from you and everything that you do is the decisions of a cult?

Mainstream Bible readers put these cult victims into hell. But is it this simple, to be predestined for hell with no chance of slowing down, or is there more to it, for the minds of people who are not allowed to control themselves?
The use of the word cult has taken on a new and more derogatory meaning than its original meaning and use.

Augustine of Hippo echoes Cicero's formulation when he declares, "religion is nothing other than the cultus of God." The term "cult" first appeared in English in 1617, derived from the French culte, meaning "worship" which in turn originated from the Latin word cultus meaning "care, cultivation, worship".

Cults like everything else in this world exist on a continuum and you'll notice I said "All religions are cults to some degree".
You are right, I don't, but I am not sure you have proven me wrong just yet. By saying that all religions are cults to some degree seems to imply you see cults as a bad thing. The reality is that by definition ALL religions are cults and that is not a bad thing. At least not if one goes by the original meaning as in to cultivate and to worship.

I merely stated a fact.
Well your fact is wrong as by definition ALL religions are cults and you have still yet to define by what you mean as cults.

I merely stated a fact.
Well your fact is wrong as by definition ALL religions are cults and you have still yet to define by what you mean as cults.

you just agreed with me that all religions are cults.

And you can look up the definition of the word can't you?

I don't make up definitions.

I merely stated a fact.

You didn't say ALL religions are cults. I did.

I can look up definitions. I can't read your mind. So for all I know you think cults are Jim Jones types.

Of course you could settle all of this by just saying what you think a cult means.

a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

I think the Bible says much about cults, or what the Israelites considered unorthodox (false gods, the secret arts, etc.).

In the New Testament, as Jews began to forsake Moses and turn to Jesus, they began to regard their temple cult just as unprofitable as any foreign cult. Their new faith, Christianity, was the least cult-like of all.

I merely stated a fact.

I can look up definitions. I can't read your mind. So for all I know you think cults are Jim Jones types.

Of course you could settle all of this by just saying what you think a cult means.
I said all religions are cults to some degree.
Stop lying.

Last edited:

I merely stated a fact.

I linked to the definition of cults that I use. I do not make up definitions for words I use.

The bible is the most successful cult book of all time.
That's generally how militant atheists such as yourself see it.
All they want is to control you and to take your money in a steady flow.
Darwin says otherwise, dummy.
Darwin talks about the bible? Got a link?

I think the Bible says much about cults, or what the Israelites considered unorthodox (false gods, the secret arts, etc.).

In the New Testament, as Jews began to forsake Moses and turn to Jesus, they began to regard their temple cult just as unprofitable as any foreign cult. Their new faith, Christianity, was the least cult-like of all.
But the one god religion was also considered unorthodox until it became popular

A cult can be described as an insular religious or political practice that seeks to become your only support structure supplanting your family and the wider community. Would you turn your back on family if they didn't want to be part of your belief system? That's how you know someone is in a cult.

We have seen many threads on this where it comes to ones politics. Families falling apart over politics.
Absolutely. I have certain relatives who bought into Trumpism in a big way. They were already annoyingly hyper-christian so it was not a stretch. I don't miss them at all and I don't feel bad that they quit talking to me and retreated into their own little world where they get their political opinions from the pulpit.

The attachment and manipulations involved with cults are a combination of
1. Coveting control
2. Demonic influences or curses from the past (see Scriptures on sins of the fathers passed down to the fourth or fifth generations)
3. The sin of unforgiveness that allows 1 and 2 to attach themselves and bias the mindset in negative imbalanced ways

The key to undoing unhealthy attachments is forgiveness and committing relations to restorative justice in Christ Jesus and spiritual healing by receiving the Holy Spirit

Any unforgiven issues, ill will, conflicts or attachments to past conditions will block the process of liberating people from the influence of demonic oppression or extreme cult and abusive or addictive relations.

Www.christianhealingmin.org

It was never cult-like. At least, not biblicly speaking. Christianity has no central authority, no taxing authority, no temple or shrine. No one makes any pilgrimages in their practice of it. It has no ritual mandates or guidelines, no code book or by-laws. It is not insulated from the world; its adherents are not separated from their families.

Christianity exhibits no cult-like character at all, really. Liberals and atheists may call out Jesus as a cult leader, but he certainly is not one in any traditional sense. Christians don't worship a living person; they worship a living God.

It was never cult-like. At least, not biblicly speaking. Christianity has no central authority, no taxing authority, no temple or shrine. No one makes any pilgrimages in their practice of it. It has no ritual mandates or guidelines, no code book or by-laws. It is not insulated from the world; its adherents are not separated from their families.

Christianity exhibits no cult-like character at all, really. Liberals and atheists may call out Jesus as a cult leader, but he certainly is not one in any traditional sense. Christians don't worship a living person; they worship a living God.

There is no requirement for any of those in the definition of a cult.

And Jesus was a man on earth and played the role of the charismatic figure and his believers are certainly devoted to him even after his death and alleged resurrection.

And you have to admit that most people who follow the Christian religion do belong to a parish and those parishes have shrines that are called churches.

There is very little difference between the Christian shines ( churches) and the shrines dedicated to the many Pagan gods.

And Jesus was a man on earth and played the role of the charismatic figure and his believers are certainly devoted to him even after his death and alleged resurrection.

And you have to admit that most people who follow the Christian religion do belong to a parish and those parishes have shrines that are called churches.

There is very little difference between the Christian shines ( churches) and the shrines dedicated to the many Pagan gods.
Parishes and churches are not Christian shrines. The Pope is not Christianity's leader; he's Catholicism's leader. The Southern Baptist Convention and the Presbyterian Church are not Christian temples; they're denominations.

I said that, biblically-speaking, Christianity exhibits few if any cult-like characteristics; traditionally-speaking, you may have something of a point.

Parishes and churches are not Christian shrines. The Pope is not Christianity's leader; he's Catholicism's leader. The Southern Baptist Convention and the Presbyterian Church are not Christian temples; they're denominations.

I said that, biblically-speaking, Christianity exhibits few if any cult-like characteristics; traditionally-speaking, you may have something of a point.

I never mentioned the pope.

And of course churches are shrines.

The imagery is there, the rituals, the priests or whatever you call them.

It's no different than a shrine to Apollo or Artemis from the days of Ancient Greece. Have you ever been to St Paul's in NYC or to Notre Dame ?

It's no different than a shrine to Apollo or Artemis from the days of Ancient Greece. Have you ever been to St Paul's in NYC or to Notre Dame ?
You insist on arguing from a traditional point of view, not from a biblical point of view, as I initially posted. We're not on the same page. But if we were, the Christian "shrine" bears little resemblance to cults; they may be central to their denominations, but not to Christianity. You're not really feeling me.

You insist on arguing from a traditional point of view, not from a biblical point of view, as I initially posted. We're not on the same page. But if we were, the Christian "shrine" bears little resemblance to cults; they may be central to their denominations, but not to Christianity. You're not really feeling me.

I am working from the definition of cult I linked to.

I am working from the definition of cult I linked to.
You didn't mention that to me. In my initial post, on the other hand, I said I was referring to the Bible.

The New Testament makes no denominational distinctions. It asks very little of Christ's followers - no dues or taxes, no schedule or ritual, nothing that I've already mentioned that cults typically do. It asks only that they revere only their one God and advance His kingdom. How they do that may vary, as the Bible sets no guidelines for it. And it certainly varies; African Christians differ in their cultures and worship from Asian Christians, who differ from American Christians, etc.

I merely stated a fact.

I said all religions are cults to some degree.
Stop lying.
There is no some degree. That's called a caveat. There's no caveat. There is no limitation using the original meaning. Now if you mean to say that cults are sinister, then that is an entirely different discussion which would be untrue of all religions to some degree.

It all come down to your use of the word. Are you using cult in a derogatory fashion or it's original meaning which was not derogatory?

New Topics

Forum List

Back