Does the Bible speak about cults?

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
Does the Bible speak about cults? Most cults kill their subjects if they go to church, and there is a set of cults that embrace the Bible but lectured all in upside down interpretations.

The Bible speaks a lot of human decisions and what decisions you should make, for good outcomes.

But what happens when the power of making decisions is taken away from you and everything that you do is the decisions of a cult?

Is the Bible and God capable of advising on that?

Mainstream Bible readers put these cult victims into hell. But is it this simple, to be predestined for hell with no chance of slowing down, or is there more to it, for the minds of people who are not allowed to control themselves?

A cult can be described as an insular religious or political practice that seeks to become your only support structure supplanting your family and the wider community. Would you turn your back on family if they didn't want to be part of your belief system? That's how you know someone is in a cult.

A cult can be described as an insular religious or political practice that seeks to become your only support structure supplanting your family and the wider community. Would you turn your back on family if they didn't want to be part of your belief system? That's how you know someone is in a cult.

We have seen many threads on this where it comes to ones politics. Families falling apart over politics.

Does the Bible speak about cults? Most cults kill their subjects if they go to church, and there is a set of cults that embrace the Bible but lectured all in upside down interpretations.

The Bible speaks a lot of human decisions and what decisions you should make, for good outcomes.

But what happens when the power of making decisions is taken away from you and everything that you do is the decisions of a cult?

Mainstream Bible readers put these cult victims into hell. But is it this simple, to be predestined for hell with no chance of slowing down, or is there more to it, for the minds of people who are not allowed to control themselves?
Here's my $0.02 on cults:
A cult is an offshoot of an established religion with a charismatic leader at it's head and built around his teachings/interpretations. People generally choose to join cults and they may continue or disappear after the leaders death. A religion is an established organization with rules and beliefs. You are generally born into a religion. ALL religions begin as cults.​

We have seen many threads on this where it comes to ones politics. Families falling apart over politics.
Absolutely. I have certain relatives who bought into Trumpism in a big way. They were already annoyingly hyper-christian so it was not a stretch. I don't miss them at all and I don't feel bad that they quit talking to me and retreated into their own little world where they get their political opinions from the pulpit.

If we're discussing "cults" as those bodies centered on the teachings of a single individual ... Jim Jones, Charles Manson, David Koresh ... then, yes, the Bible is very strict on idolatry, we are to worship God and God alone, and most definitely no mortal man ... this is 1st Commandment stuff ...

From "blessed are the peacemakers" ... we have the corollary "condemned are the warmongers" ... usually an easy way to tell if we're dealing with a cult or not ...

All religions are cults to some degree

If we're discussing "cults" as those bodies centered on the teachings of a single individual ... Jim Jones, Charles Manson, David Koresh ... then, yes, the Bible is very strict on idolatry, we are to worship God and God alone, and most definitely no mortal man ... this is 1st Commandment stuff ...

From "blessed are the peacemakers" ... we have the corollary "condemned are the warmongers" ... usually an easy way to tell if we're dealing with a cult or not ...

And then there's this:

Luke 14:26 - Bible Gateway
https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Luke 14:26
One day when large groups of people were walking along with him, Jesus turned and told them, “Anyone who comes to me but refuses to let go of father, mother, spouse, children, brothers, sisters—yes, even one’s own self!—can’t be my disciple. Anyone who won’t shoulder his own cross and follow behind me can’t be my disciple.

And then there's this:

One day when large groups of people were walking along with him, Jesus turned and told them, “Anyone who comes to me but refuses to let go of father, mother, spouse, children, brothers, sisters—yes, even one’s own self!—can’t be my disciple. Anyone who won’t shoulder his own cross and follow behind me can’t be my disciple.

Do you often pull individual passages out-of-context? ... the lord prepared a great feast but the Rich and Middle Class were all too busy to attend ... so the lord invited "the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind" (14:21) who promptly filled the lord's hall ... with the punchline "So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple." (14:33) ...

One must set aside all of one's old life to take up the new life in Christ ... one doesn't adapted Christian lifestyle to fit one's own, we must throw away our lifestyle and take on a new completely ... as Paul says we shouldn't try and put new wine in an old wine skin, use a new wine skin ...

Absolutely nothing in that chapter about submitting our souls to a man most mortal, only surrender to the One True God ...

The use of the word cult has taken on a new and more derogatory meaning than its original meaning and use.

Augustine of Hippo echoes Cicero's formulation when he declares, "religion is nothing other than the cultus of God." The term "cult" first appeared in English in 1617, derived from the French culte, meaning "worship" which in turn originated from the Latin word cultus meaning "care, cultivation, worship".

The use of the word cult has taken on a new and more derogatory meaning than its original meaning and use.

Augustine of Hippo echoes Cicero's formulation when he declares, "religion is nothing other than the cultus of God." The term "cult" first appeared in English in 1617, derived from the French culte, meaning "worship" which in turn originated from the Latin word cultus meaning "care, cultivation, worship".

like I said all religions are cults

And then there's this:

Do you often pull individual passages out-of-context? ... the lord prepared a great feast but the Rich and Middle Class were all too busy to attend ... so the lord invited "the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind" (14:21) who promptly filled the lord's hall ... with the punchline "So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple." (14:33) ...

One must set aside all of one's old life to take up the new life in Christ ... one doesn't adapted Christian lifestyle to fit one's own, we must throw away our lifestyle and take on a new completely ... as Paul says we shouldn't try and put new wine in an old wine skin, use a new wine skin ...

Absolutely nothing in that chapter about submitting our souls to a man most mortal, only surrender to the One True God ...

Cults try to separate followers from friends and family... whether that is Scientology or Jim Jones.

Yes. But probably not in the sense you think they are.

The bible is the most successful cult book of all time.

That's generally how militant atheists such as yourself see it.

All they want is to control you and to take your money in a steady flow.

you have no clue what I think.

Cults like everything else in this world exist on a continuum and you'll notice I said "All religions are cults to some degree".

All they want is to control you and to take your money in a steady flow.
Darwin says otherwise, dummy.

you have no clue what I think.

Cults like everything else in this world exist on a continuum and you'll notice I said "All religions are cults to some degree".
You are right, I don't, but I am not sure you have proven me wrong just yet. By saying that all religions are cults to some degree seems to imply you see cults as a bad thing. The reality is that by definition ALL religions are cults and that is not a bad thing. At least not if one goes by the original meaning as in to cultivate and to worship.

Forum List

Back