Does the bible promote incest?

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
I was just reading another thread here about the Song of Solomon. I haven't read it for a while but when I did I noticed the groom repeatedly referred to his bride as his sister and in relatively (for the time period) explicit sexual ways.

Shut up, retardi. You shouldn't comment on things you don't understand.

I was just reading another thread here about the Song of Solomon. I haven't read it for a while but when I did I noticed the groom repeatedly referred to his bride as his sister and in relatively (for the time period) explicit sexual ways.

Are you talking about Solomon 4:9 Ravi?

They referred to each other as brother or sister those days.

Not so sure about Solomon, But Abraham married his sister Sarah and freely admitted it in Genesis 20:12

And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.

I don't think there can be much doubt about incest here, and not much doubt God condoned it.

Not so sure about Solomon, But Abraham married his sister Sarah and freely admitted it in Genesis 20:12

And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.

I don't think there can be much doubt about incest here, and not much doubt God condoned it.
It seems odd though because it was my understanding that incest (to Christians at least) is both immoral and a sin.

Ravi, this speaks of the spiritual relationship with Jesus Christ who is the Bridegroom in Solomon's Song. ( The Believers - who are the church - the body of Christ - are His Bride)

When He says, Open to me my sister, my love, my dove, my perfect one...... in Solomon's Song 5: 2 - He uses the word sister in reference to a spiritual relationship - He is the firstborn among many brethren. When he says, my love - he is speaking to the object of His heart's devotion, when he uses the words, my dove - He is speaking to the one who has been endued with many gifts and graces of the Holy Spirit - the Holy Spirit is represented by the dove, when he speaks calling her my perfect one - He is speaking of the born again Believer who is washed, renewed and cleansed by His precious Blood at the cross.

My husband, who married me, is my brother in Christ as he is a born again Christian. Is he blood related to me? No. I hope that answers your question and part 5 and 6 will be coming up later so keep reading the thread for the conclusion of the Book.

Ravi, this speaks of the spiritual relationship with Jesus Christ who is the Bridegroom in Solomon's Song. ( The Believers - who are the church - the body of Christ - are His Bride)

When He says, Open to me my sister, my love, my dove, my perfect one...... in Solomon's Song 5: 2 - He uses the word sister in reference to a spiritual relationship - He is the firstborn among many brethren. When he says, my love - he is speaking to the object of His heart's devotion, when he uses the words, my dove - He is speaking to the one who has been endued with many gifts and graces of the Holy Spirit - the Holy Spirit is represented by the dove, when he speaks calling her my perfect one - He is speaking of the born again Believer who is washed, renewed and cleansed by His precious Blood at the cross.

My husband, who married me, is my brother in Christ as he is a born again Christian. Is he blood related to me? No. I hope that answers your question and part 5 and 6 will be coming up later so keep reading the thread for the conclusion of the Book.
Why then was the bride seeking the groom at night on her bed?

Your translation doesn't actually make sense.

That's one of them. There are others as well.

"Sister" is the best term of endearment he could give his new wife. And I questioned this passage as well with a big "hello what the heck did I just read there?" and almost stroked out. :lol: There are more than a few passages studying the OT that give you a white knuckle moment.

This explanation is excellent.

"Solomon had not married his actual sister, so we can dispense with that theory right away.

Rather, the term sister was a common expression of closeness and love. In ancient Egyptian love songs, “my sister” was a customary name for a female lover.

It was term of endearment that emphasized the permanence of the relationship (a sister never stops being a sister).

In giving his bride a double title, he shows her double honor: he loves her with the passion of a spouse and with the purity of a sibling.

Blood is thicker than water, and the bridegroom wants their relationship to be showcase of the permanence of a blood relation.

Why does Solomon refer to his wife as his sister Song of Solomon 4 9

Why then was the bride seeking the groom at night on her bed?

Your translation doesn't actually make sense.

You must be born again, Ravi. The Holy Spirit is the author and the revealer of the Scriptures. How can you possibly understand things of the Spirit when you are not born of the Spirit? (yet)

It seems odd though because it was my understanding that incest (to Christians at least) is both immoral and a sin.

You don't have to be a Christian to believe incest is immoral. Christians, and every other religion for that matter, like to assign religious justification for their personal beliefs because they think their individual beliefs are so well thought out that no reasonable deity could possibly disagree with them. Then they search their Bible or Koran, or what ever holy book they chose for anything that might remotely justify their own beliefs. It doesn't matter if they have to take scriptures out of context as long as it seems to justify their original beliefs.

"Sister" is the best term of endearment he could give his new wife. And I questioned this passage as well with a big "hello what the heck did I just read there?" and almost stroked out. :lol: There are more than a few passages studying the OT that give you a white knuckle moment.

"Solomon had not married his actual sister, so we can dispense with that theory right away.

Rather, the term sister was a common expression of closeness and love. In ancient Egyptian love songs, “my sister” was a customary name for a female lover.

It was term of endearment that emphasized the permanence of the relationship (a sister never stops being a sister).

In giving his bride a double title, he shows her double honor: he loves her with the passion of a spouse and with the purity of a sibling.

Blood is thicker than water, and the bridegroom wants their relationship to be showcase of the permanence of a blood relation.

Abraham didn't call Sarah his sister as only a term of endearment, or respect. He plainly says that she is the daughter of his father, but of another mother. Don't try to say he meant that in terms of us all being Gods children, because that is clearly not the case. She was his half sister, and God condoned the marriage. Can you explain that away?

But we're talking the Old Testament here. You know. The "prequel" to the NT. :)

The world changes with the coming of Jesus. It's really that simple. That's why we aren't "Part Deux" of "Old Testament Believers; the sequel" or OT II people.

That was a better explanation than Jeri's but I don't know if I buy it. It sounds like a rationalization.

But we're talking the Old Testament here. You know. The "prequel" to the NT. :)

The world changes with the coming of Jesus. It's really that simple. That's why we aren't "Part Deux" of "Old Testament Believers; the sequel" or OT II people.
Did Jesus ever say anything forbidding incest?

Abraham didn't call Sarah his sister as only a term of endearment, or respect. He plainly says that she is the daughter of his father, but of another mother. Don't try to say he meant that in terms of us all being Gods children, because that is clearly not the case. She was his half sister, and God condoned the marriage. Can you explain that away?

I was referring strictly to the passage Solomon 4:9.

And yes Abraham married his half sister. It's the Old Testament. I have no problem with this because it is just a historical record of our past relationships with Jehovah.

There was some pretty funky stuff going down.

New Topics

Forum List

Back