Does The Bible Condone Slavery?

The answer is complex
The Pyramids along the Nile weren't built by slaves as Herodotus wrote. Herodotus was Greek and lived 2000 years later.

The answer is complex
Remember when Jerusalem was under siege by Nebuchadnezzar and Zedekiah released the slaves and gave them their freedom and then made up some lame excuse to put them back under bondage; and the prophet Jeremiah condemn him for that.
Another example was when Moses got the Hebrews their freedom he had them take all the jewelry from the Egyptians as pmt for back wages.
Perhaps another example. would be God must condon slavery to a certain extent or He wouldn't have put Israel under bondage for their sins.
Remember when Paul told Philemon he needed to return to his former owner. That was sorta odd.
In a modernistic society as we have today I don't think He condones slavery in the least including the American slavery of negro's in the past

Which bible are you talking about? There are about 400 different versions in the USA alone.
Probably about 4000 worldwide.

But in a general reference to slavery, I think they all condone it, since many of the rulers back then are known for having slaves, not staff.

The answer is complex
The Pyramids along the Nile weren't built by slaves as Herodotus wrote. Herodotus was Greek and lived 2000 years later.

The Bible, most conveniently, seems to say whatever people want it to say.

People who hate gay people because the Bible makes some reference to gay sex being looked down upon in the Old Testament then go and elect a president who committed an offence the Old Testament says should result in STONING TO DEATH, and he did it THREE TIMES.

The answer is complex
No, and the answer isn't all that complex. The Bible is a personal guide for each human. In one's own mind a person has spiritual slaves and a person can make themself a slave to their own sin.

The answer is complex
Yes. The Bible addresses what the people were already doing in ancient times.

We should also address what people were doing in the United States at the time of the Civil War. There were 19 free States; 15 slave States, so less than half the States condoned slavery. In the Slave states less than 20% of people owned slaves, or to present the data as families (instead of individuals) then less than 25% of families were slave owners. This means that even in slave States three-quarters of the population did not own slaves.

It is also noted that in these States , three thousand Black people were credited with owning 20,000 slaves. HOWEVER, before we make too big of an issue of this keep in mind that some State laws had Black people including spouses and children as slaves. So, yes, some Blacks owned slaves, but let's not jump to 20,000 as the number.

Today, there are eight million slaves in India, nearly four million in China, and the next in line Is North Korea.

Makes you wonder why DC is yelling at us today when in even in slave states just over 75% of our ancestors never owned slaves, and that 75% greatly expands when adding the populations of the nineteen free states, not to mention the 16 territories yet to become States.

The answer is complex

People who hate gay people because the Bible makes some reference to gay sex being looked down upon in the Old Testament then go and elect a president who committed an offence the Old Testament says should result in STONING TO DEATH, and he did it THREE TIMES.
One must be honest. For a Christian, we are presently living in the AGE of GRACE. This began with the Resurrection of JESUS or PENTECOST (take your pick). While CHRIST didn't do away with the LAW (of Moses), HE certainly fulfilled every jot and tiddle of that LAW. As a result, we have salvation through CHRIST (who did fulfill the LAW) when we accept HIS gift. If a man commits adultery, he is certainly guilty of sin and worthy of condemnation. But in reality this individual isn't celebrating his act of transgression. In fact, most CHRISTIANS are not at all happy when a divorce occurs. And deservedly, such an individual has NOTHING to be PROUD of. Unfortunately, the very same can no longer be applied socially regarding homosexual behavior practices. As a CHRISTIAN, I can tell you that I neither HATE people who fornicate nor people who participate in homosexual activity. I will say that I have no respect for either ACT and find both detrimental to society at large.

As for slavery, I believe you will find that biblical slavery allowed for the possibility of the slave to regain his freedom and that contractual slavery allowed someone the opportunity to get out of debt, etc... It wasn't about buying men, women, and children who were stolen from another country for the sole purpose of enslavement.

The answer is complex

One must be honest. For a Christian, we are presently living in the AGE of GRACE. This began with the Resurrection of JESUS or PENTECOST (take your pick). While CHRIST didn't do away with the LAW (of Moses), HE certainly fulfilled every jot and tiddle of that LAW. As a result, we have salvation through CHRIST (who did fulfill the LAW) when we accept HIS gift. If a man commits adultery, he is certainly guilty of sin and worthy of condemnation. But in reality this individual isn't celebrating his act of transgression. In fact, most CHRISTIANS are not at all happy when a divorce occurs. And deservedly, such an individual has NOTHING to be PROUD of. Unfortunately, the very same can no longer be applied socially regarding homosexual behavior practices. As a CHRISTIAN, I can tell you that I neither HATE people who fornicate nor people who participate in homosexual activity. I will say that I have no respect for either ACT and find both detrimental to society at large.

As for slavery, I believe you will find that biblical slavery allowed for the possibility of the slave to regain his freedom and that contractual slavery allowed someone the opportunity to get out of debt, etc... It wasn't about buying men, women, and children who were stolen from another country for the sole purpose of enslavement.

The biggest problem is a book written a long, long time ago that dealt with how to live 2,000 years ago. It's out of date, something new would be better.

The answer is complex

Yes it was about buying men ,women and children stolen from other countries.

The answer is complex

The biggest problem is a book written a long, long time ago that dealt with how to live 2,000 years ago. It's out of date, something new would be better.
The Bible is a living book! Have you really ever read it through? Attitudes, feelings, good & bad, sound advise don't change. The song is as relevant today as it was yesterday and in King Solomon's day.

Last edited:

The answer is complex

The Bible is a living book! Have you really ever read it through? Attitudes, feelings, good & bad, sound advise don't change. The song is as relevant today as it was yesterday and in King Solomon's day.

The Bible is only a "living book" when people take massive liberties with its meanings.

Forum List

Back