Does Stand Your Ground apply to everybody?

It is very obvious to me that my niece was right on this issue. If she wasn't right, I wouldn't have seen so many angry, name calling, profane responses in this thread.
Thank you to the few people who responded in a respectful manner. We don't have to always agree with each other, but we should still be respectful to one another.
I will watch this thread for a few more days, but I don't plan to post here again.
Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Does it? My neice says "No", because the STAND YOUR GROUND law doesn't apply to Black men. She says Black men are not allowed to protect themselves the same way Whites are.
What do you gun lovers here think? Is STAND YOUR GROUND an equal opportunity law?
It depends on the circumstances

Do you have a real life example?

It is very obvious to me that my niece was right on this issue. If she wasn't right, I wouldn't have seen so many angry, name calling, profane responses in this thread.
Well that isn't the most obvious thing about "your niece saying" any of this
Thank you to the few people who responded in a respectful manner. We don't have to always have to agree with each other, but we should still be respectful to one another.
I am always wary/suspicious of this kind of thing? "where do you see yourself in terms of "responding respectfully"?

IDIOT, a gun is what most people would use isn't it?

I will watch this thread for a few more days, but I don't plan to post here again.
Have a nice day.
Well, not surprised by this decision but good luck and stop by anytime, if nothing else we outed Donald H

Last edited:
I say my niece is correct. Imagine if George Zimmerman has been a grown Black man who killed a White 17 year old Trevor Martin after following/harrassing him. The Black Mr Zimmerman has his day in court, with the exact same details as the other Zimmerman/Martin case. Does the Black Mr Zimmerman get found NOT GUILTY by the jury? Will the judge allow the Stand Your Ground defense to be used?
I believe the answer to both of these questions is: NO.
First Zimmerman wasn't HARRASSING Martin. He WAS following him earlier, but at eh time Martin ambushed Zimmerman, Martin had broken contact and was waiting in ambush. Second, under identical circumstances, you are damn straight a Black Zimmerman would have gotten off with a self-defense verdict. When the only witness, who by the way, didn't know either party, said Martin had Zimmerman helpless on the ground beating on him "MMA style" the prosecution didn't have a leg to stand upon.

Travon Martin was not armed
No he wasn't, but he attacked Zimmerman and had him down on the ground hitting him and bashing his head on the concrete sidewalk. That was an assault that could have resulted in Zimmerman's death. You may have forgotten, there was a witness to Martin beating Zimmerman.

Does it? My neice says "No", because the STAND YOUR GROUND law doesn't apply to Black men. She says Black men are not allowed to protect themselves the same way Whites are.
What do you gun lovers here think? Is STAND YOUR GROUND an equal opportunity law?
Don't care. It applies to ME....or anyone with a functioning brain

No he wasn't, but he attacked Zimmerman and had him down on the ground hitting him and bashing his head on the concrete sidewalk. That was an assault that could have resulted in Zimmerman's death. You may have forgotten, there was a witness to Martin beating Zimmerman.
Wasn’t unarmed Travon Martin standing his ground against an armed stalker?

Wasn’t unarmed Travon Martin standing his ground against an armed stalker?
No because Zimmerman was not stalking Martin or doing anything to provoke a hostile response. Zimmerman had as much or more right to be there on that dark and rainy night as Martin since Zimmerman was a legal resident and Martin was a visitor.

No because Zimmerman was not stalking Martin or doing anything to provoke a hostile response. Zimmerman had as much or more right to be there on that dark and rainy night as Martin since Zimmerman was a legal resident and Martin was a visitor.

Then why was he there?
He kept following Martin

Martin was minding his own business walking home
He noticed a dangerous stalker following him

Martin stood his ground against an armed assailant

Travon Martin was not armed
You don’t have to be armed to take someone’s life.

I‘m 5“3 and middle-aged. I expect a 17-year-old guy would have no trouble throwing me onto the cement and start banging my head onto the pavement. If I had a gun, I would be justified in using it to save my own life. Certainly you don’t disagree with THIS, do you?

Then why was he there?
He kept following Martin

No, Martin made an unprovoked attack against someone he didn’t know and had not threatened him in any way. Zimmerman was just a scary brown guy to use your example from earlier.

Then why was he there?
He kept following Martin

Martin had no idea Zimmerman was armed. Martin was a seventeen year old football player. Zimmerman was a pudgy middle-aged Latino. All Martin had to do was walk less than a hundred feet to his dad’s rented condo and call 911 if he felt threatened. Instead he chose to ambush and attack Zimmerman.

Then why was he there?
He kept following Martin

Nope…at the time Martin attacked Zimmerman, Zimmerman was going back to the parking lot to wait for the police….Martin had circled around and ambushed Zimmerman.

Martin had no idea Zimmerman was armed. Martin was a seventeen year old football player. Zimmerman was a pudgy middle-aged Latino. All Martin had to do was walk less than a hundred feet to his dad’s rented condo and call 911 if he felt threatened. Instead he chose to ambush and attack Zimmerman.

Zimmerman was an armed stalker
Martin was a kid walking home from a convenience store

All Zimmerman had to do was mind his business

Zimmerman was an armed stalker
Martin was a kid walking home from a convenience store

All Zimmerman had to do was mind his business
Martin was dressed in dark clothes, wearing a hoodie over his head walking around in the rain peering in people's windows in an area that was having a lot of burglaries. No, that's not suspicious behavior at all. When most people I know have to walk in the rain, they go from point A to point B as quickly as possible to minimize getting soaked. Even in Floridia's warm rains, most people don't enjoy getting wet.

Forum List

Back