Does Romney need Bachmann?

elvis

Rookie
Sep 15, 2008
You've gotta think if Bachmann drops out, the overwhelming majority of her supporters would go to Perry.

Its a wide open race, especially if Palin jumps in, and then Ryan jumps in. Romney is above it all. When the real primaries start, Mitt will prove himself. Perry is a gaffe machine ala Joe Biden and Donald Trump. They can think about 2016...with Jeb and Christie

You've gotta think if Bachmann drops out, the overwhelming majority of her supporters would go to Perry.

my question would be, why does Romney need to split the conservative base to win?

Maybe because everyone knows he isn't a conservative?

I don't think it will be an issue, Bachmann is going to fade fast in the next few weeks. She's fading already. Ames was the high-point of her run.

The Establishment and Wall Street Types will get behind Romney. The TEA Party, Christian Conservatives and Main street types will get behind Perry.

I guess we'll see who really runs the party then, won't we?

Its a wide open race, especially if Palin jumps in, and then Ryan jumps in. Romney is above it all. When the real primaries start, Mitt will prove himself. Perry is a gaffe machine ala Joe Biden and Donald Trump. They can think about 2016...with Jeb and Christie

Prove himself to be what?

Did all you Romney Supporters just forget 2008, where the guy spent 70 million dollars (about half of it his own money earned putting working people out of jobs) running and losing nearly all the primaries he was in before he conceded to McCain on the hope of getting a VP pick that never came?

Seriously, what's changed between now and then that makes this guy a beter candidate?

I think half or more would shift to Ron Paul... She pulls a Tea Party vote and so does Ron Paul. I think if she dropped out it would be devastating for Mitt/Perry IMO. In fact I think if Cain drops out Paul will get a good bost as well, not all the votes but alot more than people who hate RP would like.

Did all you Romney Supporters just forget 2008, where the guy spent 70 million dollars (about half of it his own money earned putting working people out of jobs) running and losing nearly all the primaries he was in before he conceded to McCain on the hope of getting a VP pick that never came?

Seriously, what's changed between now and then that makes this guy a better candidate?

You just don't get the concept of "competence". Idealists have no common sense, they just rely on their liberal teachings. Pragmatists do things differently, they do what needs to be done to make things work.
Mitt is a "doer". Mitt always did good jobs, while everything the dems touch turns to shit.

The only exception was Clinton, who left with a surplus of other peoples' money, but a surplus nonetheless. Bring back the Clinton tax rates, and kick the freeloaders off Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security. IMHO the simplest way out of this mess is fiscal "tough love".

Romney needs Bachmann to stay the hell away from him

Seriously, what's changed between now and then that makes this guy a better candidate?

You just don't get the concept of "competence". Idealists have no common sense, they just rely on their liberal teachings. Pragmatists do things differently, they do what needs to be done to make things work.
Mitt is a "doer". Mitt always did good jobs, while everything the dems touch turns to shit.

The only exception was Clinton, who left with a surplus of other peoples' money, but a surplus nonetheless. Bring back the Clinton tax rates, and kick the freeloaders off Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security. IMHO the simplest way out of this mess is fiscal "tough love".

What does that have to do with my point.

My point was Romney was an awful candidate in 2008, he's not really impressing anyone in 2011...

Romney did not do a good job with Damon Medical, which was fined a record penalty while being run by Bain for trying to defraud Medicare.

Romney was on the board of directors of Damon Corporation, a medical testing company later found guilty of defrauding the government; Bain Capital tripled its investment before selling off the company, with the fraud being discovered by the new owners

Mitt Romney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and there's more...

As Bain slashed jobs, Romney stayed on sidelines - The Boston Globe

In 1996, another Bain company, Dade International, a maker of medical diagnostic equipment, bought a similar unit of E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Co., of Wilmington, Del. Dade soon shut down two plants and cut more than 700 jobs, according to government filings. The next year, Dade merged with Behring Diagnostics, a German company, to form Dade Behring Inc. Dade Behring shut three US plants, affecting more than 1,000 workers, some of whom were offered transfers to other facilities.

Creditors forced Ampad into bankruptcy in early 2000, and hundreds of workers lost jobs during Ampad's decline. Bain Capital and its investors, however, had already taken more than $100 million out of the company, in debt-financed dividends, management fees, and proceeds from selling shares on public stock exchanges.

By the time Ampad failed, Randy Johnson, the former union official in Marion, Ind., had moved on with his life. After the Indiana plant shut down, he worked nearly six months to help the workers find new jobs. He later took a job at the United Paperworkers union.

"What I remember the most," said Johnson, "were the guys in their 50s, breaking down and crying."

Jesus, do they want to make it easy for Obama?

Yeah. They sure as shit aren't going to Romney.

Is this a hypothetical, btw? Last I heard, Bachmann was full steam ahead, but after Ames I decided it was pointless to pay too much attention to the ordeal this early.

Is this a hypothetical, btw? Last I heard, Bachmann was full steam ahead, but after Ames I decided it was pointless to pay too much attention to the ordeal this early.

To me, Ames doesn't mean much. Romney didn't participate in it and Perry hadn't announced his candidacy at that point.
As far as I know, Bachmann has no intention of dropping out right now.

bachmann will run out of gas, I think more quickly than some folks realize, she will not take part in the fla. straw-poll ( or any straw polls) she has announced. This gives romney and perry a chance to test their draw.

why? shes a congresscritter with no national record...and it appears to me she knows her Iowa gig was a hometown win and may not be replicated, so she dancing. She'll get more careless to hold on to what sppt. she has , but I think the hand writing will appear on the wall, especially since I don't personally think the rep field has ran its course, there will be other(s).

Last edited:
Romney needs Bachmann to stay in the race to secure the GOP nomination. Romney will need a social conservative in order to appease the base.

I think half or more would shift to Ron Paul... She pulls a Tea Party vote and so does Ron Paul. I think if she dropped out it would be devastating for Mitt/Perry IMO. In fact I think if Cain drops out Paul will get a good bost as well, not all the votes but alot more than people who hate RP would like.

:lol: No they won't. Pure fantasy.

Romney needs Bachmann to stay in the race to secure the GOP nomination. Romney will need a social conservative in order to appease the base.

The social conservatives will not support Romney no matter what he does.

First, most of them are evangelicals, who will not support a Mormon.

Second, Romney's flip-flops make him suspicious to them...

This will come down to a fight between the social cons, religious right and TEA party supporting Perry, and the Establishment, K-Street and Wall Street Republicans getting behind Romney.

This will come down to a fight between the social cons, religious right and TEA party supporting Perry, and the Establishment, K-Street and Wall Street Republicans getting behind Romney.
hell of a war to come out of going into the general election.

To me, Ames doesn't mean much. Romney didn't participate in it and Perry hadn't announced his candidacy at that point.
As far as I know, Bachmann has no intention of dropping out right now.

The fact that Romney didn't participate in Ames, which he won the last go around, shows just how worthless Ames is.

As a DEM, I hope Romney wins. Though I know he stands the best chance in the general, the prospect that it might be Bachmann or Perry, who then have a chance to go on and win, is scary enough for me to wish him well.

Or Wall Street backing both.

Recall the video that came out this week with Rick Perry and Bank of America.

hell of a war to come out of going into the general election.

55 million people voted for MAC DADDY. who ever ends up with the nod will be fine.

Forum List

Back