Does Romney need Bachmann?

The social conservatives will not support Romney no matter what he does.

First, most of them are evangelicals, who will not support a Mormon.

Second, Romney's flip-flops make him suspicious to them...

This will come down to a fight between the social cons, religious right and TEA party supporting Perry, and the Establishment, K-Street and Wall Street Republicans getting behind Romney.
hell of a war to come out of going into the general election.

55 million people voted for MAC DADDY. who ever ends up with the nod will be fine.

and 55 million wasn't enough.

This will come down to a fight between the social cons, religious right and TEA party supporting Perry, and the Establishment, K-Street and Wall Street Republicans getting behind Romney.

55 million people voted for MAC DADDY. who ever ends up with the nod will be fine.

I voted for McCain, but I'll vote for Obama if you guys nominate Romney.

I would vote for Perry, though.

and 55 million wasn't enough.

The actual count was 59,597,520 for McCain vs. 69,297,997 for the Community Organizer. So to win, the GOP has to get about 5 million who voted for Obama to vote for their guy while losing no one who voted for McCain.

Feasible? Yes. But only with the right candidate.

Romney is not that guy. First, as I've pointed out many times, about 22% of the population will not vote for an LDS candidate. this includes 18% of Republicans.

Second, he gives away most of the best arguing points a GOP candidate can use against Obama. Jobs? Romney made his money doing the exact kind of downsizing that has prolonged this recession. ObamaCare. Romney came up with the Beta Version in Massachusetts.

Third, he's just an awful, wooden candidate. Come on, did you all just develop a brain tumor about 2008, and forget how awful Romney was and how he miscalculated one primary after another?

Perry could pull it off for a number of reasons.

First, while he's pretty religious, his religion is actually pretty mainstream, interfaith pancake breakfast type.

Second, he can point to a real jobs record.

Third, he's dynamic in the way Reagan was dynamic.

I voted for McCain, but I'll vote for Obama if you guys nominate Romney.

I would vote for Perry, though.

interesting. why?

I have a personal, deep seated bias against the LDS.

But beyond that, everything about Romney just rubs me the wrong way. His fakeness, his lack of principles, his unethical business practices.

Romney needs Bachmann to stay in the race to secure the GOP nomination. Romney will need a social conservative in order to appease the base.

Actually, I don't think so.

Now, if Perry were a guy like Huckabee, who scared the crap out of the establishment by being a populist, yeah, you might have a point.

You see, I see the GOP as being two parties. The Religious party and the business party. The religous party has little common ground with the business party, but they do provide the votes. I think, though, they are pretty tired of having to take the back seat.

The Business party would LOVE to have Romney, but they probably know they'll have a hard time selling him. The message they keep repeating is "electability", which is laughable because Romney is actually less electable for the reasons I've detailed.

But they can live with Perry, because they did business with Perry in Texas.

bachmann will run out of gas, I think more quickly than some folks realize, she will not take part in the fla. straw-poll ( or any straw polls) she has announced. This gives romney and perry a chance to test their draw.

why? shes a congresscritter with no national record...and it appears to me she knows her Iowa gig was a hometown win and may not be replicated, so she dancing. She'll get more careless to hold on to what sppt. she has , but I think the hand writing will appear on the wall, especially since I don't personally think the rep field has ran its course, there will be other(s).

I think what we are seeing with Bachmann is the same thing that Democrats saw with Howard Dean in 2004. Her unvarnished idealogy really appeals to the furthest right wing, but at some point, they have to go with someone more mainstream. These people are more likely to go with Perry than Romney, absolutely.

The Rasmussen poll is telling. When Perry announced, he jumped from 18% to 29%, while Bachmann declined from 16% to 9%...

Forum List

Back