Does Nadal's relative lack of success outside Roland Garros compromise his claim to be GOAT?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

I myself am a tennis player and I don't understand how he can be so dominant at the French and so beatable (at the top level) everyplace else.

Even though he has all those trophies and has beaten the Joker (like a rented mule) in France, I can't go for him as GOAT.

I myself am a tennis player and I don't understand how he can be so dominant at the French and so beatable (at the top level) everyplace else.

Even though he has all those trophies and has beaten the Joker (like a rented mule) in France, I can't go for him as GOAT.
Yes it does to a degree
I have nadal as 3rd best ever
He has won 3 USO

It's all fixed like pro wrestling.

Nadal's greatness comes largely due to the clay at Roland Garros. To my way of thinking he is like a baseball team that only wins at home. His accomplishments outside of the French Open are impressive but hardly
the stuff of an all time best player.

The Head-to-Head comparison between Nadal and Federer are interesting, and seem to favor Rafa, though slightly, on ALL SURFACES. But they don't account for the slight generational difference; that is to say, when Roger and Rafa play, it is someone playing against a player who is five years older. As Federer moves into his late thirties, this is more and more relevant.

By analogy, compare Rafa's absolute dominance on clay with Nolan Ryan's strikeout numbers and Stephan Marbury's shooting prowess. We have a GREAT player who is almost super-human in one aspect of the game. How that impacts GOAT discussions is eminently debatable.

The Head-to-Head comparison between Nadal and Federer are interesting, and seem to favor Rafa, though slightly, on ALL SURFACES. But they don't account for the slight generational difference; that is to say, when Roger and Rafa play, it is someone playing against a player who is five years older. As Federer moves into his late thirties, this is more and more relevant.

By analogy, compare Rafa's absolute dominance on clay with Nolan Ryan's strikeout numbers and Stephan Marbury's shooting prowess. We have a GREAT player who is almost super-human in one aspect of the game. How that impacts GOAT discussions is eminently debatable.
I do not think there is a GOAT. We are truly lucky to be witnessing 3 greats of the game play in the same era.

Forum List

Back