Does medical privacy matter anymore?

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
Bruce Willis has aphasia. Jada Pinkett Smith has alopecia. Michael J. Fox keeps reminding us he has Parkinson’s Disease. People reveal their illnesses in GoFundMe pleas to pay their medical bills. Many people reveal their COVID history or vaccination status.

Is medical privacy obsolete? What is medical privacy supposed to protect, anyway? Do you just want people to not think “icky” thoughts about you if they know you have a certain disease? Are you trying to hide a preexisting condition from insurance companies when health care reform is largely eliminating that factor?

Whatever your concerns, is it worth it to burden the taxpayer-funded legal system with medical privacy litigation?

not when it comes to the smaller, less intrusive (R) gov'ment getting into a womans reproductive system.

Get ready for a prison uniform...

until this finally gets passed.

Another Texas GOP lawmaker is attempting to make abortion punishable by the death penalty

Similar bills filed in the Texas Legislature in previous years have failed.

BY SHANNON NAJMABADI MARCH 9, 20212 PM CENTRAL

A Texas lawmaker has filed a bill that would abolish and criminalize abortions, leaving women and physicians who perform the procedure to face criminal charges that could carry the death penalty.

The legislation, filed Tuesday by state Rep. Bryan Slaton, does not include exceptions for rape or incest. It does exempt ectopic pregnancies that seriously threaten the life of the woman “when a reasonable alternative to save the lives of both the mother and the unborn child is unavailable.
Another Texas GOP lawmaker is attempting to make abortion punishable by the death penalty

Bruce Willis has aphasia. Jada Pinkett Smith has alopecia. Michael J. Fox keeps reminding us he has Parkinson’s Disease. People reveal their illnesses in GoFundMe pleas to pay their medical bills. Many people reveal their COVID history or vaccination status.

Is medical privacy obsolete? What is medical privacy supposed to protect, anyway? Do you just want people to not think “icky” thoughts about you if they know you have a certain disease? Are you trying to hide a preexisting condition from insurance companies when health care reform is largely eliminating that factor?

Whatever your concerns, is it worth it to burden the taxpayer-funded legal system with medical privacy litigation?

Privacy is always "worth it", because my life will ALWAYS be none of your damned business, unless and until I decide to tell you something.

It mattered to the woman I recently got fired for violating the HIPAA rights of patients in her care.

Exactly. I work for a health care management company contracted to the VA, and I can't even wrap my brain around the notion of medical privacy "not being important". If the veterans want to let people know what's going on with them, that's their decision. And it's ONLY THEIRS. Not for me to decide what's "okay" for other people to know about them.

Perhaps I should have framed the question as “Why are more people sharing their medical issues?” In a society that values victimhood, people can claim victim status if they can show they are a “victim” of illness, particularly if that affliction disproportionately affects that ethnic group.

Better still, they can depict themselves as “heroes” struggling against their illness even if that illness was brought on by their own reckless behavior or lifestyle.

Finally, another bonus in revealing one’s illness Is the opportunity to join a community of other sufferers of the same condition, thus creating a new circle of “friends” where few may have existed before.

Perhaps I should have framed the question as “Why are more people sharing their medical issues?” In a society that values victimhood, people can claim victim status if they can show they are a “victim” of illness, particularly if that affliction disproportionately affects that ethnic group.

Better still, they can depict themselves as “heroes” struggling against their illness even if that illness was brought on by their own reckless behavior or lifestyle.

Finally, another bonus in revealing one’s illness Is the opportunity to join a community of other sufferers of the same condition, thus creating a new circle of “friends” where few may have existed before.

I will admit that people don't seem to value their privacy at all any more. It's just one of many things that people have lost their understanding of, and therefore stopped valuing.

Your final point is very, very valid. Victimhood "clubs" are a real thing in this day and age. Pretty sad to define oneself by the name of an affliction. I think this type of mentality, of identifying oneself as a sufferer, tends to make one even more vulnerable to the messages of pHARMaceutical advertising. Method to their madness?

Some celebrities going public with their conditions isn't a problem. This bullshit about having to disclose whether or not you are keeping up with the ineffectual and dangerous Covid jabs is the problem.

Medical privacy prevents discrimination.

You don't seem to understand the difference between an individual volunteering his medical information and the releasing of medical information by a third party without permission

Obviously the problem comes from the fact that the American colonies came mostly from fanatic religious groups like the Puritans, who were insanely against normal things like sex.
The US likely is the single most insanely puritanical country in the world.
The Protestants made some political advancements, but were incredibly regressive when it came to individual sexual freedom.

And that is why medical privacy is so important.
Normal sex requires some medical involvement, so then if there was no medical privacy, everyone would know about your personal sex life.
And because this society is so anti-sex, that would be a huge problem.

Forum List

Back