Does Hawaii Little League have an advantage in their recruiting region?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I've been watching the LLWS and Hawaii is just rolling over everyone they play. They have power hitters and power pitchers galore. I can't find any stats but given the historical success of Hawaii and this team in particular I have to wonder. It's more than coaching, they are just physically superior to the other teams. I coached Little League all stars and there was a pretty big variance in the size of the districts in Arizona. My guess is Hawaii has much bigger districts, but it's only a guess. Does anyone know?

I've been watching the LLWS and Hawaii is just rolling over everyone they play. They have power hitters and power pitchers galore. I can't find any stats but given the historical success of Hawaii and this team in particular I have to wonder. It's more than coaching, they are just physically superior to the other teams. I coached Little League all stars and there was a pretty big variance in the size of the districts in Arizona. My guess is Hawaii has much bigger districts, but it's only a guess. Does anyone know?
Not sure but they may try players out from a much larger base than some of the other US teams. A LLWS coach I knew from Michigan took top players from their local league, not sure how many players were in that league. I am sure some of the International teams choose from quite a large draw of players. Hawaii is very talented.

Not sure but they may try players out from a much larger base than some of the other US teams.
Yes that's what I mean. I used to see it when I was coaching club ball on my son's team and we'd play a California team. All of a sudden the kids were 6 inches taller and could throw 10 mph faster than anyone we had because they were drawing off of such a large population base.

Mainland Hawaiians are pretty stocky. That came from hundreds of years of paddling those outrigger canoes from one island to another, shinnying up trees to get coconuts, and having wars with other tribes.

Mainland Hawaiians are pretty stocky. That came from hundreds of years of paddling those outrigger canoes from one island to another, shinnying up trees to get coconuts, and having wars with other tribes.
I heard it came from generations of deprivation on small Pacific islands, which lead to migrations, the survivors being those who could put on weight quickly in times of plenty. Now that kind of deprivation isn’t usually encountered and some can get really huge. Ever notice the number of Samoans in the NFL?

Little League limits the size of the organization (number of eligible players, not population or geography).

Our local section has just a little over the max, and had to form two teams, and also had to document to LL HQ that our system of dividing the two teams was talent-neutral. We used even and odd Julian birthdates.

They have seen all sorts of cheating over the years, and have systems in place to prevent it, absent outright fraud (fake birth certificates, players not really living in the district, etc.).

When I see a kid throwing over 65mph, it's almost always a ringer.

Little League limits the size of the organization (number of eligible players, not population or geography).

Our local section has just a little over the max, and had to form two teams, and also had to document to LL HQ that our system of dividing the two teams was talent-neutral. We used even and odd Julian birthdates.

They have seen all sorts of cheating over the years, and have systems in place to prevent it, absent outright fraud (fake birth certificates, players not really living in the district, etc.).

When I see a kid throwing over 65mph, it's almost always a ringer.
Is that true in Hawaii as well? Hawaii has at least 5 guys that throw over 65 mph. And they hit 6 home runs today. That is a really stacked team, just wondering.

I heard it came from generations of deprivation on small Pacific islands, which lead to migrations, the survivors being those who could put on weight quickly in times of plenty. Now that kind of deprivation isn’t usually encountered and some can get really huge. Ever notice the number of Samoans in the NFL?
The Samoan women given birth must really be stretched.

The world has many cultures. It is reasonable to believe that maturity can be slightly different with an age range requirement that is stringent.

Forum List

Back