Does anyone notice this? (spell check)

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
Not just here but most other places. It seems like the spell checkers have gone full retard, everywhere, and somebody did it. For example, I just typo'd the word "be" spelling it "ne". The spell checker wants to change it to NE or en or Ne. And with the word "or" typo'd as "ot", it wants to change it to "OT", "to" or "it". Now I realized the typos are my fault but it used to be the spell checkers worked a lot better. So, how many two letter words end with "e"? Here they are according to one website.

1623522617399.png

And how many two letter words end with "r"? According this site there are four, and the retard spell checker cannot figure that out. Any one else notice this?

1623522649143.png

Sheesh!

• Banned
She frowned and called him Mr.
Because in sport he kr.
And so in spite
That very night
This Mr. kr. sr.

Not just here but most other places. It seems like the spell checkers have gone full retard, everywhere, and somebody did it. For example, I just typo'd the word "be" spelling it "ne". The spell checker wants to change it to NE or en or Ne. And with the word "or" typo'd as "ot", it wants to change it to "OT", "to" or "it". Now I realized the typos are my fault but it used to be the spell checkers worked a lot better. So, how many two letter words end with "e"? Here they are according to one website.

View attachment 500487

And how many two letter words end with "r"? According this site there are four, and the retard spell checker cannot figure that out. Any one else notice this?

View attachment 500488

Sheesh!

I keep complaining about the spellchecker here but so far no one has fixed it. For me, it doesn't even recognize typos and misspelled words and you have to play games with it, usually posting then reopening the post (edit) 3-4 times to catch all the typos! One time it flags whole lines or paragraphs as "typos" when nothing is wrong then slowly, it begins to find bad words each time you reopen it.

When I was in school, I actually had teachers that taught, and I actually learned.
That being said, I have my "spell checkers" turned off on my pc and my phone.
I only use them when needed for words I'm unsure of, or that are complicated to spell.

But yes..........I have a friend whose spell correct/checker on his phone has gone completely psycho.
He will text me something like "I had to go to the store", and what I get is "I had to bliff the dore".

Even though I have my spell checks and correctors turned OFF on my phone, they still fuck up my texts, and Im having to constantly delete and retype!!!

View attachment 500487

View attachment 500488

Sheesh!
Spell checks capability is that it can take "established" words in the English language and correct an individuals misspelling of that established English word. What it can't do is to properly correct words that don't exist in the English language, such as "ne," as it will scan its database and fail to be able to find the correct word. HOWEVER, in the case of the letters, ne, it probably saw the way our states are abbreviated and subsequently determined that you were trying to enter the abbreviation for Nebraska (NE or Ne).
No "spellcheck" system can anticipate what humans intend to type onto a page and no "spellcheck" is perfect, just as people aren't perfect.

View attachment 500487

View attachment 500488

Sheesh!
I will call that hand Miketx and raise you 20 bits:) Not only are phone and computer spell checkers often invalid (my phone could drive me nuts if I allowed it to do so with useless microphone feature unable to understand plain English) but notice how basic English rules are no longer applicable.

National networks (most of them, most likely) are airing movies/series/live coverage with almost everyone using the word 'me' for I, and 'him' for he...etc. This is going to lead to changes in grammar, as has happened with using "sus" for suspicious and various abbreviated words because it's easier...lazier....you see my point.

A common example is saying "Me and him" instead of he and I, and I guess for those who attempt to politely place the other person first say "Him and me" lol this is the new standard of informal English and it's all over the place.

Spellcheckers are the bane of our internet universe. We just have to suffer.

• Banned
Spell checks capability is that it can take "established" words in the English language and correct an individuals misspelling of that established English word. What it can't do is to properly correct words that don't exist in the English language, such as "ne," as it will scan its database and fail to be able to find the correct word. HOWEVER, in the case of the letters, ne, it probably saw the way our states are abbreviated and subsequently determined that you were trying to enter the abbreviation for Nebraska (NE or Ne).
No "spellcheck" system can anticipate what humans intend to type onto a page and no "spellcheck" is perfect, just as people aren't perfect.
What about the knights that say ne?

View attachment 500487

View attachment 500488

Sheesh!
Wat spel chek her?

I will call that hand Miketx and raise you 20 bits:) Not only are phone and computer spell checkers often invalid (my phone could drive me nuts if I allowed it to do so with useless microphone feature unable to understand plain English) but notice how basic English rules are no longer applicable.

National networks (most of them, most likely) are airing movies/series/live coverage with almost everyone using the word 'me' for I, and 'him' for he...etc. This is going to lead to changes in grammar, as has happened with using "sus" for suspicious and various abbreviated words because it's easier...lazier....you see my point.

A common example is saying "Me and him" instead of he and I, and I guess for those who attempt to politely place the other person first say "Him and me" lol this is the new standard of informal English and it's all over the place.
Someone mentioned something so greatly exaggerated that it was impossible, but preceded it with the word "literally." I went to copy the dictionary definition of "literally" and to show the person. I was surprised to learn that "literally" is now defined as figuratively! The dictionary had an added explanation box saying that words are defined by their common usage and since enough people use "literally" to mean figuratively, that literally is now defined as it's opposite (figuratively). 🤓

Last edited:
My phone ASSUMES the first letter I type is correct and goes from there. It never changes the first letter.

Someone mentioned something so greatly exaggerated that it was impossible, but preceded it with the word "literally." I went to copy the dictionary definition of "literally" and to show the person. I was surprised to learn that "literally" is now defined as figuratively! The dictionary had an added explanation box saying that words are defined by their common usage and since enough people use "literally" to mean figuratively, that literally is now defined as it's opposite (figuratively). 🤓
That is so bizarre, and yet a perfect example of what's happening with the Americanized English language. Especially when considering the number of fluent writers/speakers who use specific descriptors to better engage their listeners/readers, who continue to specify during their commentary "I mean figuratively speaking folks, not literally" and of course vice versa! Now they are the same word? 🤦‍♀️

Strange times in which we live, with political backing pushing for writing short-cuts and encouraging the easy way over personal effort. Like eliminating the requirement in public school for cursive writing. In order to read the US Constitution many students now need a printed version! All other historical documents in cursive must be revised in print to meet the lazy man's way of a fix. Languages originated and evolved by expanding on set definitions for effective communication and we're now going backwards.

This recent agenda (already overtly politicized) to expand verbal and written short-cuts whenever possible, to use abbreviations or if too lazy to respond they could just type a Y (for yawn ha). What could happen (corny joke alert) is the result of mere grunting and other such sound effects to talk to people. Is there really a political subset that longs for the cave dweller era? I know it sounds very exciting and all from a 3rd grade viewpoint, but adults making these determinations...slacker city it would appear. It's the lazy man's way of communicating, and I don't buy into the notion that "it's a time saver" lol It's just plain lazy and I refuse to play the game. Luckily, many Americans will refuse to imitate these tactics, while we'll continue to see media modeling abbreviated "skills" while supposedly using a professional news format. Not much professionalism going on there.

Just keep off-shoring software to Indian sweatshops operating out of abandoned containers in Mumbai to people who took English as their third language and watch it get worse. I see crap mis-spelled everywhere on those streaming string thingies across TV screens and nearly everywhere these days. Nobody educated enough to even proofread any more. The compnaies themselves are run by socially promoted morons.

Just keep off-shoring software to Indian sweatshops operating out of abandoned containers in Mumbai to people who took English as their third language and watch it get worse. I see crap mis-spelled everywhere on those streaming string thingies across TV screens and nearly everywhere these days. Nobody educated enough to even proofread any more. The compnaies themselves are run by socially promoted morons.
Talking about proofreading...you may want to try it sometime.

Talking about proofreading...you may want to try it sometime.

I don't do this for a living, not the same thing; if I were getting paid or publishing I would indeed worry about typos, not your opinions. This about spellcheck errors, and I don't use it. I know the difference between 'Marshall law' and 'martial law'.

View attachment 500487

View attachment 500488

Sheesh!
It's the spell checker that's operating in your web browser or smartphone.

Forum List

Back