Does anyone know what wild flower this is.

Persistence Of Memory

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2019
Someone gave me some seeds and said these were great for fence lines. Planted some and they are.

Can't find this anywhere. Skinny plants that grow 3 to 4 feet. Small flowers blooming in late summer/spring.

Anyone know the name? Thanks.

DSCN1407.JPG
DSCN1408.JPG

I'm not familiar with it. I suggest using one of the plant ID apps for smartphones. Bascially, you take a good photo of it, send it, and they'll tell you what it is.

Common wildflower mixes tend to be a risk. They include a lot of foreign plants, some of which are invasive. They never claim to be "native wildflowers".

I went through my Florida Plant I.D. books .I didn't find any thing close to that plants description. What part of the world you are in.?
The plant close to the ground looks like Lantana.

I'm not familiar with it. I suggest using one of the plant ID apps for smartphones. Bascially, you take a good photo of it, send it, and they'll tell you what it is.

Common wildflower mixes tend to be a risk. They include a lot of foreign plants, some of which are invasive. They never claim to be "native wildflowers".

Second that. You don't want to be the guy who brought Kudzu.

What did the seeds look like?

I went through my Florida Plant I.D. books .I didn't find any thing close to that plants description. What part of the world you are in.?
The plant close to the ground looks like Lantana.

It is a sedum. Autumn joy is probably the variety. The blooms are similar to Lantana but the foliage is a lot different. It is more like a tall succulent.

Someone gave me some seeds and said these were great for fence lines. Planted some and they are.

Can't find this anywhere. Skinny plants that grow 3 to 4 feet. Small flowers blooming in late summer/spring.

View attachment 413894View attachment 413896

The taller ones by the fence are cosmos. The shorter pink ones are zinnia and then shorty is a merigold.
Thank you so much, that is it. Perfect for a fence line. Lol. That marigold actually stuck to that one when I transplanted the Cosmos. That Marigold was actually a hitch hiker. Those Marigolds highlight that skinny tall dude. Lol.
Some people here said it could be some dangerous invasive weed. Lol. Glad they did not choose Botany as a career.

Can you identify that evasive weed in my back yard on my other thread here? Every one is volunteering for free to come over and eradicate it. Never realized a weed would interest so many. Catch the neighborhood teens plucking and grooming them every time I go back there.

The taller ones by the fence are cosmos. The shorter pink ones are zinnia and then shorty is a merigold.
Thank you so much, that is it. Perfect for a fence line. Lol. That marigold actually stuck to that one when I transplanted the Cosmos. That Marigold was actually a hitch hiker. Those Marigolds highlight that skinny tall dude. Lol.
Some people here said it could be some dangerous invasive weed. Lol. Glad they did not choose Botany as a career.

Can you identify that evasive weed in my back yard on my other thread here? Every one is volunteering for free to come over and eradicate it. Never realized a weed would interest so many. Catch the neighborhood teens plucking and grooming them every time I go back there.

Both the marigolds and the cosmos can self-seed, but I prefer to wait until the blooms start to dry and then pull them off, dry them completely and place in bags to respread in the spring rather than rely on self-seeding. I have gotten slack about it though with those ones so they more or less have disappeared from my garden in the last couple years. Zinnias, however, self seed like a champion. I save some but mostly let them do all the work themselves.

As for your marijuana thread, I have no idea what plant that is.

Both the marigolds and the cosmos can self-seed, but I prefer to wait until the blooms start to dry and then pull them off, dry them completely and place in bags to respread in the spring rather than rely on self-seeding. I have gotten slack about it though with those ones so they more or less have disappeared from my garden in the last couple years. Zinnias, however, self seed like a champion. I save some but mostly let them do all the work themselves.

I have a Marigold garden around a big oak tree in my back yard. I just took all the dried seeds and spread them with half inch of topsoil. Then in spring I'll throw the other half with another half inch dirt. Marigolds everywhere. But I can't wait to line that fence up with those Cosmos. Thanks so much.

You are correct. These are considered invasive in the SE part of the country. Very good call. Frost wipes them out.

I'll be derned.

I have a Marigold garden around a big oak tree in my back yard. I just took all the dried seeds and spread them with half inch of topsoil. Then in spring I'll throw the other half with another half inch dirt. Marigolds everywhere. But I can't wait to line that fence up with those Cosmos. Thanks so much.

I used to do marigolds all the time around one of my veg patches that has now more or less become a flower bed because the zinnias and mexican sunflowers self-seeding took it over. I am considering solarizing the bed next growing season to reclaim it from all the feral flowers. That is just a fancy way of saying covering it with black plastic for a few months and letting the sun cook anything, including seeds in it, to death.

Better off to buy NEW Cosmos plants in the spring, than to reseed because you might have a hybrid variety that produces inferior seeds. Then you know what you have from the start.

Forum List

Back