Does Anyone Find 'A Woman Speaker' A Victory For All Women?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Hey, I'm all for everyone getting to the top of their profession, if they've earned it. Pelosi has done what she needed to in order to achieve her position. She deserves it. But how in the world is is a victory for 'all women?' It's not.

Now if she had kept all those democratic votes in line for all those years and then the old, white men had found a way to sideline her, one could cry foul! But it didn't happen and all it illustrates to me that the 'glass or marble ceiling' deal has been overstated for quite awhile.

I haven't doubted that a woman or black could be elected President for the past few election cycles. Colin Powell a couple back could have, but he chose for personal reasons not to run. Obama's supporters bring up race, which I see as a cover for his real liability, inexperience. It might work, I dunno, but if it does, many will not feel comfortable, and it won't be because he's black.

Yes, I think that women have proven themselves in so many venues that the feminist complaints today fall on deaf ears. I still think that men have more to offer in terms of true leadership, but I grant that occasionally a woman just has bigger balls.

Yes, I think that women have proven themselves in so many venues that the feminist complaints today fall on deaf ears. I still think that men have more to offer in terms of true leadership, but I grant that occasionally a woman just has bigger balls.

So Pelosi's projection of 'bigger balls' is a victory for 'all women'?

I haven't doubted that a woman or black could be elected President for the past few election cycles. .... Obama's supporters bring up race, which I see as a cover for his real liability, inexperience. ....

You are correct there. The NAACP and NOW are simply side shows that continue to exist to keep minorities and women voting Democrat.

Hey, I'm all for everyone getting to the top of their profession, if they've earned it. Pelosi has done what she needed to in order to achieve her position. She deserves it. But how in the world is is a victory for 'all women?' It's not.

Now if she had kept all those democratic votes in line for all those years and then the old, white men had found a way to sideline her, one could cry foul! But it didn't happen and all it illustrates to me that the 'glass or marble ceiling' deal has been overstated for quite awhile.

I haven't doubted that a woman or black could be elected President for the past few election cycles. Colin Powell a couple back could have, but he chose for personal reasons not to run. Obama's supporters bring up race, which I see as a cover for his real liability, inexperience. It might work, I dunno, but if it does, many will not feel comfortable, and it won't be because he's black.

Only 203 women have ever served in Congress since the body was founded. There are still people who actually think women are inherently less capable of holding their own in leadership positions. Frustrates the hell out of me. So obviously the playing field isn't exactly level, but it's getting there.

As far as Pelosi being made Speaker - I'm not doing cartwheels over it, but I believe it's about damn time. She's certainly no less competant than Dennis Hastert.

It's kind of like with black actors winning Oscars; the first time's a big deal, then subsequent times it gets to be less and less of a big deal until it just happens and no one thinks anything of it anymore.

Question for the class:

Why is the selection of a well known long term pol to the position of house speaker more newsworthy than the selection of the first black female to be national security advisor who then became the second woman (and first minority woman) to be secretary of state?

Question for the class:

Why is the selection of a well known long term pol to the position of house speaker more newsworthy than the selection of the first black female to be national security advisor who then became the second woman (and first minority woman) to be secretary of state?

Is it more newsworthy? I thought Condi got quite a lot of mention for that. She's been in the cabinet more than six years. It's not exactly breaking news anymore.

Only 203 women have ever served in Congress since the body was founded. There are still people who actually think women are inherently less capable of holding their own in leadership positions. Frustrates the hell out of me. So obviously the playing field isn't exactly level, but it's getting there.

As far as Pelosi being made Speaker - I'm not doing cartwheels over it, but I believe it's about damn time. She's certainly no less competant than Dennis Hastert.

It's kind of like with black actors winning Oscars; the first time's a big deal, then subsequent times it gets to be less and less of a big deal until it just happens and no one thinks anything of it anymore.

Can you make this more concise? Right now it's not more than an ineffectual rant.

Is it more newsworthy? I thought Condi got quite a lot of mention for that. She's been in the cabinet more than six years. It's not exactly breaking news anymore.

I'd say there's a world of difference and the current trends are not in Condi's favor. Which should make dems gleeful, since she was from a relatively lower background than the arugument goes...(Though real high for a black woman) LOL

Pelosi's actually a woman? I thought she was a ferret.:sad:

Can you make this more concise? Right now it's not more than an ineffectual rant.

The first section explains how the first female Speaker of the House actually is an historical milestone.

The second section addresses the question you ask in your thread title and explains my personal feelings on Pelosi being made Speaker.

The third section explains how subsequent female Speakers - or other female leaders - won't be considered as big a deal as the first, but that's a good thing and just means that people are adjusting to progress.

i think it is great that a woman is speaker....

i would ask this ... is she the best the dems have .... because the best should be speaker

Question for the class:

It's all about who is doing the reporting about whom, sir.

i think it is great that a woman is speaker....

i would ask this ... is she the best the dems have .... because the best should be speaker

I'm not sure how someone would qualify as the best. Especially in a body that large.
Was Hastert the best the Republicans had?

I'm not sure how someone would qualify as the best. Especially in a body that large.
Was Hastert the best the Republicans had?

so pelosi is the best the dems have?

also i just won $100 because i knew you would justify pelosi with a hassert dig...

and you're basing this on . . . ?

Ummm.....history? She's a sorry excuse for a human being and has been since she first entered the public arena. Her ultra-left stances on just about everything you can think of sucks, and prove she is brain-damaged and/or incvapable of rational thought.

Anything else you want to know?

New Topics

Forum List

Back