Does anyone actually use insane credit cards?

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
By "insane" - I mean the high limit "prestigious" cards.
I have one, not because I want one... but when I ran the business for 8 years I used a CC for a number of purchases that I paid off in less than 30 days.
It was nothing for me to purchase $10-$15k a month.
That was then.
Over the years I received "upgrades" for no apparent reasons. I virtually never carry a balance. I have a number of things tied to the card, and pay the balance before interest accrues.
ANYWAY - I received my new card as the old one was running out.
The upgraded me again to an absurd $25,000 limit.
Who the hell spends that??

I have one, not because I want one... but when I ran the business for 8 years I used a CC for a number of purchases that I paid off in less than 30 days.
That was then.
Over the years I received "upgrades" for no apparent reasons. I virtually never carry a balance. I have a number of things tied to the card, and pay the balance before interest accrues.

I have one with a $20K limit and one with a $14K limit. I don't carry any balances on them currently. I know some people who put everything on their cards and then pay them off every month for the cash back rewards. To me that is just one more thing I would have to deal with so I pass.

That was then.
Send the card to me, I'll spend it for you....... :D

That was then.
I damn sure would not I keep the limit low

That was then.

My AMEX has no limit, but it has to be paid in full at the end of the billing cycle.

That was then.
I have a Chase unlimited that I use when my business needs charter aircraft. I never use it for anything else though.

That was then.
I have a high limit card, but it is through a credit union and has a (variable) rate of 8.15% I have used it for some large impulse purchases and for vacations, then i pay it off quickly.

I have one card with a $35k limit. It stays in my wallet for emergencies. I use another one, issued by my credit union, for any purchases I need a card for. But I very rarely use credit cards. Either cash or a debit card works best.

I have one card with a $35k limit. It stays in my wallet for emergencies. I use another one, issued by my credit union, for any purchases I need a card for. But I very rarely use credit cards. Either cash or a debit card works best.
If you are the type of person that likes to go to auctions, or who flips classic cars, etc., it's a useful tool. Personally, I don't want to liquidate investments and move money around every time I *might* want to make a $20,000 purchase. I always have the option of just pulling the trigger and moving money later. I just call the card center and explain that I am going to make a large purchase that day. I can't do that on the weekends with my debit card, which has a daily limit. And I can't get cashier's checks on the weekend.

I wouldn't classify our Visa card with $20,000 limit as anything prestigious. No annual fee and a flat 2% cash back on all purchases is nice though. Seldom does the balance get more than a $1,500 as I zero it out twice a month (typically on the 5th and 20th) just because I care to check the balance while our spending is fresh to me and it is simple enough to transfer funds from a checking account that is paying diddly-squat in interest. Neither wife nor I carry much cash, which we mostly use for tips and an occasional stop at a restaurant's drive-thru.

Last edited:
That was then.
My personal cards have $15K limits that I very rarely go anywhere near maxing out....Zero-interest balance transfers being the lone exception.

My business lines are $30K & $50K, and very rarely even use them at all.

Insane would be running those cards up with no strategy to aggressively pay them down.

I wouldn't classify our Visa card with $20,000 limit as anything prestigious. No annual fee and a flat 2% cash back on all purchases is nice though. Seldom does the balance get more than a $1,500 as I zero it out twice a month (typically on the 5th and 20th) just because I care to check the balance while our spending is fresh to me and it is simple enough to transfer funds from a checking account that is paying diddly-squat in interest. Neither wife nor I carry much cash, which we mostly use for tips and an occasional stop at a restaurant's drive-thru.
I beat ya... :lol:
2.5% Cash back w/o any limits.
No annual Fee
The Card looks fancy though... nice and shiny and textured. I put a suit on when I use it. I feel underdressed otherwise.

I always pay with a card for anything over a few hundred bucks and just pay it off monthly.
I normally dont carry any more than a $100 bucks in my wallet.
If I had to guess my biggest purchase on a card was around 15K for a new TV ,surround sound setup and stereo when we bought our new house.
Had a couple of vacations that went that high but we used cashiers checks as well as a card.

My personal cards have $15K limits that I very rarely go anywhere near maxing out....Zero-interest balance transfers being the lone exception.

My business lines are $30K & $50K, and very rarely even use them at all.

Insane would be running those cards up with no strategy to aggressively pay them down.

Yup. My business card has a limit of 2.5 million. I used to have to make large purchases overseas, but I haven't come close to touching that in over a decade.

My personal ones are around 25k each, and I have never come close on those either.

Forum List

Back