Does anybody else occasionally deal with insomnia?

I have found that one of the perversities of life is that you don't need as much sleep when you are "older" as you do when you are a healthy working adult. So in my case I had to count on it. I stay up a little later and get up earlier than I think I "should," because it is pointless to stay in bed when you are not really sleepy.

Work hard, stay active, never take a nap.

And take two Advil-PM before you go to bed. I ALWAYS read a book in bed (now, a Kindle), and continue reading until the words don't make sense any more.

That's what works for me.

yes, I do.

So what do you do. I generally just whine and complain, but that doesn't work as well as you might hope.
Beer and wine don't work just dehydrate you for the next day. Typically two reason for it racing mind or pain. Sometimes stress over unsolved problem. Pain night time Tylenol. Then read something boring. Mind racing meditation. I use the breathing method count time between breaths and measure depth of breath. Only thing I allow on my mind. When I did computer programming I would get it bad the only way to go to sleep was to solve the issue I was working on. I no longer do that for a living. It was going to kill me. I would go some times 3 or 4 days no sleep.

Get a part time job where you work into the night. When you get home you will sleep easy.

I just spent the last 3 1/2 hours laying down with the words to Piano Man repeating in my head. I'm beginning to hate Billy Joel. A couple of beers or a shot of rum used to solve that problem, but that doesn't seem to have much effect either.
Read a book when in bed... It's the only thing outside of what you are talking about that will shut my brain up enough to sleep.

yes, I do.

So what do you do. I generally just whine and complain, but that doesn't work as well as you might hope.

I joined 24 hour fitness and if I could not sleep(which was regularly), I would go there and work out until I was exhausted, and would then go home and have a cup of herbal tea, which helped.

Of course when the pandemic happened and gyms shut down, I was back to square one. Now I average about 2 hours of sleep a day. Usually in the afternoon.

I'm not at all surprised you have trouble sleeping. A lot of sociopaths and deviants do. It's your chronic mental instability keeping you awake. Try to turn your life around and do productive stuff, do volunteer work, even though that's extremely unpleasant for commies and deviants, you can get used to it over time. You will have to change your group of 'friends', if any, as well.
Thank you for your kind suggestions. As always, I will give your thoughts all the consideration they deserve.

Well, I was going to recommend getting laid once in a while, but then I realized that can never happen in your case, at least not with a consenting adult; I'm respectful of other people's emotional and social capabilities.

My answer??? Spend less time online and more time doing physical labor type activities, preferrably outside. Mow the yard, gardening, building project, lift weights, whatever gets you moving..

I just spent the last 3 1/2 hours laying down with the words to Piano Man repeating in my head. I'm beginning to hate Billy Joel. A couple of beers or a shot of rum used to solve that problem, but that doesn't seem to have much effect either.
They call it "ruminations"...Yes, I have had it since I was a kid and I used to deal with it by working twenty hours a day but now that I am old weed takes care of it.

Last edited:
Occasionally?
Or regularly. You have any thoughts on the problem?
try smoking a bowl of pot.....nice and relaxing.....
You dope head!
you said you would keep that to yourself.....by the way, got any?......
Oh hell yeah, I live in a state that let's you buy it.
so do i brother.....and tomorrow the local dispensary will be having a few nice promotions....

Occasionally?
You dope head!
so do i brother.....and tomorrow the local dispensary will be having a few nice promotions....
I am addicted to Moonrocks now.

Occasionally?
You dope head!
I am addicted to Moonrocks now.
moonrocks?....

I deal with it frequently. I think it's hereditary. My mother gets it all the time; my sister deals with it.

Forum List

Back