Does Anybody Actually Even Bathe Their Cat?

I just went to get my allergies tested yesterday and I have a minor cat allergy. Minor one tell you and she started blowing things WAY out of proportion. She told me that I should brush my indoor cat outside and give her baths. I told her first of all my cat is strictly indoors because I don't want her going out and accidentally getting hit by a car or something and she doesn't need to go out like a dog. Second of all, she would completely tear me and any of us to pieces if we were to bathe her. Now I realize that sometimes cats need to have baths for certain reasons, but just to bathe a cat just to bathe a cat is a tad bit ridiculous to me. Especially when I'm not even all that allergic to her. :rolleyes:
You can bathe a cat, but you gotta know what you're in for and act accordingly.

Some of my "victims"...

WetDusty.jpg

Dusty

WetSierra.jpg

Sierra

WetTahoe.jpg

Tahoe

Only once when I had a cat that hated car rides.
It was so bad the cat crapped all over in the carrier and slid around in it the rest of the drive.
I almost puked in the car it was so bad.
Cat wasn't happy about the bath and neither was I.

Last edited:
You are probably not allergic to your cat. You are allergic to cat dander. Brush your cat regularly, use cat bath wipes from the pet store and vacuum, vacuum, vacuum, floors, furniture, beds. Especially your bed. Change sheets more frequently.
From a former Pet Groomer

I just went to get my allergies tested yesterday and I have a minor cat allergy. Minor one tell you and she started blowing things WAY out of proportion. She told me that I should brush my indoor cat outside and give her baths. I told her first of all my cat is strictly indoors because I don't want her going out and accidentally getting hit by a car or something and she doesn't need to go out like a dog. Second of all, she would completely tear me and any of us to pieces if we were to bathe her. Now I realize that sometimes cats need to have baths for certain reasons, but just to bathe a cat just to bathe a cat is a tad bit ridiculous to me. Especially when I'm not even all that allergic to her. :rolleyes:
I did once when my cat got sprayed by a skunk. My grandmother advised me that the best way to get rid of the smell was to give him a bath in tomato juice. It was a really scrappy big tomcat. I duck tapped the cuffs my leather gloves to the cuffs of my jacket, put on my welding mask so he couldn't claw my eyeballs out, shoved him into a washing machine tub out in the garage, dumped tomato juice all over him and scrubbed him down from head to tail with a brush.

Of course he vigorously fought against this treatment, especially when I was scrubbing his ears and nether regions. He was so pissed-off and mad that he sounded like some demon in a sci-fi horror movie or something.

But it worked. Grandma was right. That bath in tomato juice got rid of the skunk spray smell and he was allowed back into our home again.

Only once when I had a cat that hated car rides.
It was so bad the cat crapped all over in the carrier and slid around in it the rest of the drive.
I almost puked in the car it was so bad.
Cat wasn't happy about the bath and neither was I.

Depends.
I rescued a cat in another state 700 miles away once and had never seen the cat before.
He never made a peep and never messed in the car during the 9 hour ride back but was gentle and I could hold him. Ended up keeping him and he's with us today.

People that think all cats are identical are very low information.

double the f no!

Read my previous comment. Hmmm, I must have missed my coffee that day. LMAO!!!!

Some cats DO actually like baths. Some cats actually love water. You just have to find out what tolerance level your cat has for being wet.

They sell an organic calming herb at pet stores. I think the brand I used was Pet Calm. This was years ago, so they may make them in chewable treats now.
If you give one to your cat 30 minutes beforehand, it can help. Although, like catnip, it does not affect all cats.

The best first "bath", is to have them in the kitchen sink and just use a plastic cup to run warm water over them and see how they react.
Use cat shampoo or baby shampoo. Remember, they lick their fur, you don't want soap residues on their fur by using dish soap or something with perfumes and dyes in it.

Be sure and wrap kitty in a towel as soon as your done. A lot of cats really wont mind a bath.......what they don't like is being cold. And as soon as water hits their fur, they get cold real fast.

There's also all sorts of pet wipes you can use now, along with brushing gloves and such.

My cat had long fur and she would get dirty regardless of being inside or outside. Short hairs aren't so bad, as you can just keep them brushed and use a damp cloth on them. Long hairs need to be bathed. They can get dirt and dead skin buildup, as well as bugs and mites can get in there. They can get skin infections and rashes from this. Brushing a longhair once a week and giving it a "blow out" with a COOL hair dryer can help as well, but I'd do that in the garage or outside in the warm weather.

flatten;crop;matte=ffffff=center;webp=auto;jpeg_quality=60.jpg

Pet-Dog-Cat-Grooming-Cleaning-Brush-Gloves-Effective-Deshedding-Back-Massage-Animal-Bathing-Hair-Removal-Gloves.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

25af5bff-62ea-4aef-968a-85495d3e061a.83c8dea28bc2996adaa33a93f08f0566.jpeg

burts-bees-dander-wipes.jpg

I swear to God it was an accident ... and the cat was perfectly fine afterward ... so it's okay to laugh about it ... right? ...

Cats baths happen, and I took my time and was careful ... and I always thoroughly dried the poor things after ... it was Barnard's turn with the usual struggles in the suds ... working his backend I noticed he had quit struggling ... seems his head was underwater ...

I gently pull him up and he looked at me with eyes that said "please don't kill me papa, please please please, don't kill me" ... the whole rest of the bath was completely smooth not a twitch, he just complied with even the gentlest of nudges ... he just looked at me with eyes that said "please don't kill me, please don't kill me, please don't kill me" ...

I am NOT suggesting a method to control your cat while you bathe them ...

New Topics

Forum List

Back