Doc Severinsen on American Masters

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
Good biopic on Doc Severinsen on PBS. He's still going strong at his age.

Its hard to believe that the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson went off the air 29 years ago...

Holy shit, he is still alive? I honestly thought he was dead, that's amazing. There will never be anything as good as the Tonight Show was for late night talk shows.
That's exactly what I thought when I saw him the other night. Totally agree on the Tonight Show.

Yeah, it was one of those times when the final product was better than the sum of it's parts. The formula has been repeated dozens of times but the results have never been duplicated. I think Fallon may come as close as anyone ever has but he's a very distant second.

Not sure if you watched the documentary but Doc talks about the segment called "stump the band". I won't spoil it but the origin story of how they came up with that "skit" was one of the reasons I liked watching Carson.

Good biopic on Doc Severinsen on PBS. He's still going strong at his age.

Its hard to believe that the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson went off the air 29 years ago...
I always got the impression he was a "partier". when on the Tonight Show. To live that long maybe he is a "teetotaler".

Holy shit, he is still alive? I honestly thought he was dead, that's amazing. There will never be anything as good as the Tonight Show was for late night talk shows.
That's exactly what I thought when I saw him the other night. Totally agree on the Tonight Show.

Yeah, it was one of those times when the final product was better than the sum of it's parts. The formula has been repeated dozens of times but the results have never been duplicated. I think Fallon may come as close as anyone ever has but he's a very distant second.

Not sure if you watched the documentary but Doc talks about the segment called "stump the band". I won't spoil it but the origin story of how they came up with that "skit" was one of the reasons I liked watching Carson.

With Carson, he had his goofy moments, but there was an air of civility and respect not found on today's shows, if you wanted to duplicate that, you'd need to go back in time when actors had class, talent, and real acting chops, and find a host as skilled as Carson to interview them. Those days are long gone. Hollywood aint what it used to be.

With Carson, he had his goofy moments, but there was an air of civility and respect not found on today's shows, if you wanted to duplicate that, you'd need to go back in time when actors had class, talent, and real acting chops, and find a host as skilled as Carson to interview them. Those days are long gone. Hollywood aint what it used to be.

Not sure about all of that. The "interview" was often the guest doing his schtick or bit while seated. Rodney Dangerfield was never interviewed. I think Fallon, Leno, Letterman, Kimmel etc... are too civil to be honest. You're right about actors today though. There are some who are truly wonderful actors but most are like Chris Pratt or Jonah Hill.

Hollywood aint what it used to be...and our perception of Hollywood is sure different than it used to be.

Forum List

Back