Do you want to be a trillionaire ?

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Just dig a hole , a 100 miles deep...

'Quadrillion tons of diamond' may be buried 100 miles under Earth's surface

Quadrillion tons of diamond' may be buried 100 miles under Earth's surface

There might be a quadrillion tons of diamond hiding deep underneath Earth's surface, according to a new study. But it will be a while until diamonds are every girl's best friend: the lavish gems are located so deep, no drill in existence can reach them.

Located over 100 miles below Earth's tectonic plates are ancient, hard rocks called "cratonic roots" that potentially consist of one to two percent diamond — totaling a quadrillion tons. Researchers at Massachusetts Institute of Technology and other universities studied sound waves that rumble through Earth's surface after a natural disaster or explosion, called seismic data, to uncover the type of rocks concealed beneath.

“This shows that diamond is not perhaps this exotic mineral, but on the [geological] scale of things, it’s relatively common,” Ulrich Faul, a research scientist in MIT’s Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences, said in astatement. “We can’t get at them, but still, there is much more diamond there than we have ever thought before.”

There might be a quadrillion tons of diamond hiding deep underneath Earth's surface, according to a new study. But it will be a while until diamonds are every girl's best friend: the lavish gems are located so deep, no drill in existence can reach them.

Located over 100 miles below Earth's tectonic plates are ancient, hard rocks called "cratonic roots" that potentially consist of one to two percent diamond — totaling a quadrillion tons. Researchers at Massachusetts Institute of Technology and other universities studied sound waves that rumble through Earth's surface after a natural disaster or explosion, called seismic data, to uncover the type of rocks concealed beneath.

“This shows that diamond is not perhaps this exotic mineral, but on the [geological] scale of things, it’s relatively common,” Ulrich Faul, a research scientist in MIT’s Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences, said in astatement. “We can’t get at them, but still, there is much more diamond there than we have ever thought before.”

Then diamonds would have no value.

^ He meant "have", but I get it.

They're always good for drill and saw blade coatings, though. So there's value in that. :)

^ He meant "have", but I get it.

They're always good for drill and saw blade coatings, though. So there's value in that. :)

What's the difference, I used diamond coated drills before..I thought it was all pretty much the same , but lower quality.

Then diamonds would have no value.

Exactly what I was thinking, if you have a portfolio of diamonds I would sell it now.

Forum List

Back