Do you think this is wise

to let kids mutilate themselves at such an early age without their parents consent. I dont doubt there are other reasons for this too,,,like if they can do this why cant they vote....
Vermont opens door for gender-affirming surgery for transgender youth
It doesn't allow them to do it without their parents consent.
yeah misread that one...good catch but question remains...….life altering decision with no way to reverse at a time they are still undeveloped mentally.

to let kids mutilate themselves at such an early age without their parents consent. I dont doubt there are other reasons for this too,,,like if they can do this why cant they vote....
yeah misread that one...good catch but question remains...….life altering decision with no way to reverse at a time they are still undeveloped mentally.
That is where the parental consent comes in.

I think the issue is that there is nothing more life altering and irreversible than suicide, which doesn't require parental consent.

I can't make a judgement on it as I have never been close to it.

I think the issue is that there is nothing more life altering and irreversible than suicide, which doesn't require parental consent.

I have yet I never consented to any life changing alterations until they were emancipated at 18..After that I don't have a say...

That tactic is probably employed, consent or I'll kill myself.....is it right for the state to put parents in that position?

That tactic is probably employed, consent or I'll kill myself.....is it right for the state to put parents in that position?
At least it gives the parents an option. Someone is advocating for this legislation for it to become law. Or do you think the State of Vermont just has it out for parents of teenage kids?

Kids kill themselves. It is the second leading cause of death among 15 to 24 year old's.

At least it gives the parents an option. Someone is advocating for this legislation for it to become law. Or do you think the State of Vermont just has it out for parents of teenage kids?

Kids kill themselves. It is the second leading cause of death among 15 to 24 year old's.
What option do you have when a gun is held to your head?

No one is pointing a gun at anyone, except at potentially themselves.

You dont think a threat of suicide is analogous....I do.....what choice does a parent have when that threat is leveled

You dont think a threat of suicide is analogous....I do.....what choice does a parent have when that threat is leveled
No I don't think it analogous. I suppose the choices would be dependent on the situation. In that situation the kid is at least open about what he/she is going through. After that it would be dependent on personalities, relationships and mental states. No two scenarios are going to be exactly alike, so why pretend like they are and make blanket judgments. What is your experience with this situation?

No I don't think it analogous. I suppose the choices would be dependent on the situation. In that situation the kid is at least open about what he/she is going through. After that it would be dependent on personalities, relationships and mental states. No two scenarios are going to be exactly alike, so why pretend like they are and make blanket judgments. What is your experience with this situation?
Mental states..….one can assume unbalanced when suicide threat is issued......yeah no threat at all just usual casual convo.....

Mental states..….one can assume unbalanced when suicide threat is issued......yeah no threat at all just usual casual convo.....
You said the threat was employed as a tactic, not me.

I believe that's very likely.....unavoidable that it wont be used.....why not....

I believe that's very likely.....unavoidable that it wont be used.....why not....
I'm not saying it wouldn't be tried. But it brings mental state into the equation. You scoffed at it.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be tried. But it brings mental state into the equation. You scoffed at it.
No scoffing at all.....dont know how you reached that.....unless you think most requests for this would be made from sane perspective

No scoffing at all.....dont know how you reached that.....unless you think most requests for this would be made from sane perspective
I think an astute parent would be able to discern whether the threat given is real or a tactic.

I've given my opinion. Give someone else a try.

I think an astute parent would be able to discern whether the threat given is real or a tactic.

I've given my opinion. Give someone else a try.
Of course..this all very normal,,nothing to see here.....Slouching Toward Gomorrah

Forum List

Back