Do you think the universe is an endless one? It’s infinite?

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
It’s hard to conceive anyway, but if there’s an end, what stops the universe?

1599862454138.png

Above - An all-sky plot of the 25000 brightest, whitest stars (B-V<0) shows how these stars are concentrated along the Milky Way. This map shows our limited, inside view of the Galaxy. The large, dark patch near the middle of the picture is due to nearby dark nebulae in the constellations of Aquila and Ophiuchus.

The Universe within 50000 Light Years - The Milky Way Galaxy
Give your opinion

I dont know either way

a bigger question for me is how long has the universe existed and where did it come from?

It’s hard to conceive anyway, but if there’s an end, what stops the universe?

View attachment 387432
Above - An all-sky plot of the 25000 brightest, whitest stars (B-V<0) shows how these stars are concentrated along the Milky Way. This map shows our limited, inside view of the Galaxy. The large, dark patch near the middle of the picture is due to nearby dark nebulae in the constellations of Aquila and Ophiuchus.

The Universe within 50000 Light Years - The Milky Way Galaxy
Give your opinion
The universe may not be infinite but common sense dictates that at some point infinity has to exist. What is beyond the universe if it has limits?

I dont know either way

a bigger question for me is how long has the universe existed and where did it come from?
It tells you where it came from in the first book of the Bible and it hasn't been wrong yet.
Ok, let me put it this way

I believe God exists

but where did He come from in order to create the universe?

Based on data released last year collected by the European Space Agency's Planck satellite, astronomers have argued the case that the Universe is actually curved and closed, like an inflating sphere.
Wild New Study Suggests The Universe Is a Closed Sphere ...
www.sciencealert.com/wild-new-study-suggests-the-unive…

But if it is a "closed sphere" then that mean that there is a boundry somewhere.
Even if it's a closed sphere what does that closed sphere exist within? In any case infinity cannot be denied. Furthermore the case for infinity can be made for the small as well as to time.

A "boundary" to the universe is an irrelevant concept. If you came to the "end" of the universe and took one more step, the universe would, by definition, expand by at least that much more.

As I understand it.

The Universe is defined by matter; as matter is continuing to expand, the end of the Universe is not a wall, it is the dark matter which is the space not occupied by matter.

Confused, me too:

Last edited:
I don't really believe in "infinite". But there is so vast it may as well be.

Thunk of an ant and the earth...to the ant, the earth is "infinite" (even though we know it's not). The ant will never walk all the way around the planet...so to the ant it is infinite.

The same comparison work with man & the universe.

As far as "the end" goes...it wouldn't have to be a wall...more like a boundary where "ALL" ceases to exist. Not even physical space exists in the nothingness that lies beyond the so-called "infinite".

HEYYYY That was pretty good! I should be an author! :D

I don't really believe in "infinite". But there is so vast it may as well be.

Thunk of an ant and the earth...to the ant, the earth is "infinite" (even though we know it's not). The ant will never walk all the way around the planet...so to the ant it is infinite.

The same comparison work with man & the universe.

As far as "the end" goes...it wouldn't have to be a wall...more like a boundary where "ALL" ceases to exist. Not even physical space exists in the nothingness that lies beyond the so-called "infinite".

HEYYYY That was pretty good! I should be an author! :D
Well then if the universe is not infinity large then what is the universe inside of? What is beyond the universe and what is beyond that? At some point the concept of infinity comes into play simply because it must logically be infinite.

Well then if the universe is not infinity large then what is the universe inside of? What is beyond the universe and what is beyond that? At some point the concept of infinity comes into play simply because it must logically be infinite.

That's what the ant thinks of the earth...and yet we know the earth is not infinite.

Maybe all of the universe is inside of God...And all that exists, exists within God.

Maybe there is a void outside the universe where nothing can exist.

Maybe both are correct...they are not mutually exclusive.

It brings me back to saying to my mom...if God knows EVERYTHING then God is incapable of coming up with a new idea.

She really didn't like that conundrum :)

At some point the concept of infinity comes into play simply because it must logically be infinite.

Or it may simply be something you/we haven't thought of yet.

I remember when I read an article of large chunks of sea salt taken off a high mountain...and I thought the ONLY explanation would be that the ocean had to be that high at some point to deposit that salt.

I hadn't considered (yet) that maybe at some point that mountain was under the ocean and was later thrust upward from an earthquake.

Forum List

Back