CDZ Do you think that when this crisis is over we will see a change in our societies ?

It is a certainty that the world will change in some fundamental ways as a result of this crisis. It is also a certainty that it will be a mixed bag. The aftermath of this thing will be a golden age for political opportunists. It is my sincere hope that the honorable crusaders for justice will get more traction than the wannabe Hitlers.
hitler was ok--he just went a little too far
He went a lot too far. The thing about political opportunists is that they are hardly ever competent leaders. They get people all worked up with their big ideas but their gigantic egos get in the way of everything. Their inability to share glory makes them reject the brilliant people needed for great works. Their moral certitude makes them callous. Their inability to accept blame makes them surround themselves with yes-men. Their lack of humility makes them ignorant of their limitations. They hardly ever get to live to see anything of value their shenanigans produce.
....we are just lucky we have someone like Mr Trump who is not your standard politician who is more worried about votes than doing what is right
..and my original post is satire
hahahahhhahahaa

We can hope for lasting, positive change. It is entirely possible. People may appreciate more deeply where value comes from and what we need to cultivate. Materialism and its relativity may be better understood.

It is a certainty that the world will change in some fundamental ways as a result of this crisis. It is also a certainty that it will be a mixed bag. The aftermath of this thing will be a golden age for political opportunists. It is my sincere hope that the honorable crusaders for justice will get more traction than the wannabe Hitlers.
hitler was ok--he just went a little too far
He went a lot too far. The thing about political opportunists is that they are hardly ever competent leaders. They get people all worked up with their big ideas but their gigantic egos get in the way of everything. Their inability to share glory makes them reject the brilliant people needed for great works. Their moral certitude makes them callous. Their inability to accept blame makes them surround themselves with yes-men. Their lack of humility makes them ignorant of their limitations. They hardly ever get to live to see anything of value their shenanigans produce.
....we are just lucky we have someone like Mr Trump who is not your standard politician who is more worried about votes than doing what is right
..and my original post is satire
hahahahhhahahaa
Interesting. I was about talking about why Hitler was a terribly flawed leader and you thought I was talking about Trump.

In terms of governments taking this stuff more seriously and increasing research and readiness, yes. Much like some of the changes made after the Meltdown. Hopefully these changes will be effective and efficient over time.

In terms of human nature and behavior, no. This time has demonstrated that we still have plenty of evolving to do.

In my spot in the world, I think short term, in no particular order:

1. Families might realize the value of slowing down finally. Quarantine life isn't always a bed of roses, sure, but it has had some upsides, like not living in your minivan running your kids constantly everywhere. This is a necessary cultural reset from my POV

2. A removed, more impersonal society as far as personal contact. No shaking hands, high fiving, or even fist bumping anymore. More like Japan and other Asian cultures.

3. The backlogs at any health care facilities, and the fallout from that, is going to have repercussions for years. No one is getting cancer screenings, check ups, dental exams right now. Those are put off. Some of these are not a big deal, but some are. Some people will die because of it.

Maybe in attitudes or even in statute form ?

I am not confident that much will change but if I could wave a wand -

I would like to see the whole disaster analyzed and best practice adopted for future problems. Some countries have done really well but some of us have not.

I would like to see our government be mandated to hold a certain level of ppe in readiness.

I would like to see this audited every year by the NAO and the results published.

I would like to see a minister for disaster created and task them with sorting out protocols for lockdowns and supply issues.

I would like people to have more appreciation for our frontline workers, the ones who are keeping the country going.

I would like to see more companies adopt home working for staff.

Im sure there are a lot more things that could and should happen.

I think those changes that involve people finding that something is more convenient and comfortable than what they used to do will last. Everything else will eventually work its way back to same old, same old.
It killed over 500 people here today. There have to be changes.

500 killed in Wales? Really?

There once was swine flu. Then the Ebola hysteria swept the country. The Obama administration, lessons learned, drew up a pandemic preparedness plan, and put it on a shelf for subsequent administrations to follow. The plan included such useful things to follow through for a time when there was information on a disaster looming on the horizon as to stockpile protective gear.

Trump and his minions had better ideas - and the plan gathered dust on that shelf.

The problem with learning from history is, we don't. That most certainly applies to procedures and statutes. It applies tenfold to much-harder-to-change attitudes.

The precondition for learning from history and changing attitudes is a long memory, one that isn't overwhelmed by the chase for the latest shiny object dangled before our snouts. But, of course, that would require us to ignore, say, the latest FaceShit memes pushed out to capture our attention, and not just for now, but we reliably don't, and we reliably won't learn a darn thing.
When there was an actual war we had a government of national unity. that worked well. Any solutions should come out of a similar grouping. That would protect it somewhat from partisan politics.
Of course nothing is bomb proof if you get a lunatic holding the keys.

I would like to see the whole disaster analyzed and best practice adopted for future problems. Some countries have done really well but some of us have not.

I would like to see our government be mandated to hold a certain level of ppe in readiness.

I would like to see this audited every year by the NAO and the results published.

I would like to see a minister for disaster created and task them with sorting out protocols for lockdowns and supply issues.

I would like people to have more appreciation for our frontline workers, the ones who are keeping the country going.

The only thing that may take root long term is working from home. Less office space is a winner for businesses. Possible flexible shifts is a winner for workers. The technology exists for informational security to stay intact.
My eldest started a new job last week and has been working from home ever since. Its driving me crazy.

A start would be for the Chinese and Africans to stop eating anything that moves.

The only change I hope - is Americans now see the high cost of a low price.
That is, an economy based off of economic slave labor in foreign countries. We stopped making things.
The flip side is we need to move these countries out of poverty. There are no easy answers.
You can lead a horses ass to water. I live above a huge lake that is so full of fish that the depth finder looks pixelated. I don't know a single poor person who owns a fishing rod. No license required, no limits.

That is, an economy based off of economic slave labor in foreign countries. We stopped making things.
The flip side is we need to move these countries out of poverty. There are no easy answers.
You can lead a horses ass to water. I live above a huge lake that is so full of fish that the depth finder looks pixelated. I don't know a single poor person who owns a fishing rod. No license required, no limits.
Absolutely, even my generation (I am 55) has lost the ability to think that way. Millennials - it doesn't even occur to them.
How many people know how to plant and care for a garden anymore?

Our own poverty should be first.
As to foreign poverty - most of it is due to corrupt despots. You can't improve the lives of those people unless you are willing to remove the despots. If you aren't... you are throwing a cup of water on a forest fire just to make yourself feel better.

I think it will show that the free market is great for efficiency and generating wealth but not so good for dealing with a crisis. There is a reason that all militaries are organized like the USSR: a centrally planned, command economy where all long term plans are made at the top and everyone else follows orders. I love the free market but I don't think health care should be included in it and this crisis shows why. At very least, the military, the VA?, should have the mission and resources to respond to a health crisis like they respond to any other crisis.

Another thing I'd like to see is the government regulating the internet like any other utility. We could then upgrade the infrastructure so everyone in the US would have access to enough bandwidth to work from home and join the 21st century. Companies like Verizon and Comcast would still be able to create and sell content but they would not have a monopoly on the pipes. This would be akin to the US Rural Electrification program.

In short, no

People have short attention spans and even shorter memories

Anything that involves sacrifice of ease or profit margins is a non starter. I have checked though and I think that Eating out may change for some. I have saved so much money on not paying tips and buying overpriced drinks. Today I’m going to my favorite place and getting a lunch of bacon wrapped shrimp. No tip and no drink—Wgat would usually cost about 17 bucks will cost closer to $10

Our own poverty should be first.
As to foreign poverty - most of it is due to corrupt despots. You can't improve the lives of those people unless you are willing to remove the despots. If you aren't... you are throwing a cup of water on a forest fire just to make yourself feel better.
I think that over simplifies a complex issue. Its part of the problem but not the whole.

New Topics

Forum List

Back