Do you play an instrument? Or sing?

I play the chello and dabble with the violin.

For true?

Oh my, I would kill for that oh don't give up on either.

I used to dabble with violin, aiming at the Cape Breton thing and playing with a Scottish ensemble. Then I went to Festival International in Lafayette (a festival I try not to miss every year) and saw several adolescent girls from the Maritimes doing things with the instrument that humans just should not be able to do. At that point I hung it up.

Shortly later the jug band came recruiting, knowing that I owned, but did not play, a violin. Apparently that was exactly the sound they were looking for. And so we went. It was a gas.

the Rankins harmonies were beautiful. Don't mock them please dear hearts at large. They have just endured two deaths.

Last edited:
For true?

Oh my, I would kill for that oh don't give up on either.

I used to dabble with violin, aiming at the Cape Breton thing and playing with a Scottish ensemble. Then I went to Festival International in Lafayette (a festival I try not to miss every year) and saw several adolescent girls from the Maritimes doing things with the instrument that humans just should not be able to do. At that point I hung it up.

Shortly later the jug band came recruiting, knowing that I owned, but did not play, a violin. Apparently that was exactly the sound they were looking for. And so we went. It was a gas.

the Rankins harmonies were beautiful. Don't mock them please dear hearts at large. They have just endured two deaths.

Rakins? I never mentioned the Rankins :confused: Them's pop music.
By Cape Breton music I mean more like this...
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvW8kUuiujo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvW8kUuiujo[/ame]

-- usually one violin with a piano but this is the feel. The real deal.

I started out playing drums when I was young, but then switched to guitar. I was a singer/songwriter in New York City for 20 years, and then went back to painting, which was my first love. Sometimes when I walk the streets of New York City people still recognize me, and my kids think that this is hilarious.

I am teaching myself how to play guitar. I picked up a pretty nice used Ibanez acoustic

AW40.jpg

I also want to learn to play the harmonica.

I just make people famous. Well in the old days. My perfect past. What a funny thread to fall in to.

This could be fun. Because I am for real.

go pass out, you drunken fuckwit.

:lmao:

what have you ever done in your life del?

Sorry as I can be, but I really do have a juno award for eddie's tune, and mega awards for showdown.

Bite me.

You don't like it? Top me. It was my day job. And I loved my rock and roll.

I am teaching myself how to play guitar. I picked up a pretty nice used Ibanez acoustic

AW40.jpg

There is one player out there called Lance. Puts everyone to death. I can't find him. My ex can't find him. He played for free on my husbands album. This man was gold.

We've been looking for him for years..One day I pray we find him again because you have never ever ever never heard soul like this. He's a player beyond.

I am a master when it comes to playing the Jew's Harp. Was first chair Jew's Harp player in the Ogle County All Farmer's Dance Band. I sing in the shower. I sound just like Elvis.

AW40.jpg

Learn the Blues first, everything else and your own style will follow naturally. Not just I-IV-V either, go back and listen to all the great acoustic blues masters from the 30's 40's and 50's and even the 60's.

Rev. Gary Davis
Lightnin' Hopkins
Elizabeth Cotten
Mississippi John Hurt
Mance Lipscombe

And of course Robert Johnson!

Whatta you play? And what kind of music do you attempt on it?

I normally play finger style on a James Goodall guitar.

My lady and I like to play together. She usually does the singing. Here's a politically inspired piece we wrote and recorded over a weekend:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cz2nBGovHs]Less is In - YouTube[/ame]

AW40.jpg

Learn the Blues first, everything else and your own style will follow naturally. Not just I-IV-V either, go back and listen to all the great acoustic blues masters from the 30's 40's and 50's and even the 60's.

Rev. Gary Davis
Lightnin' Hopkins
Elizabeth Cotten
Mississippi John Hurt
Mance Lipscombe

And of course Robert Johnson!

That's why I bought the guitar.

I love blues especially blues harp.

Add some drums and you got Fusion. :D
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2XbRK6a2ew]Jean-Luc Ponty - New Country - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

<snip>

Add some drums and you got Fusion. :D
<snip>

Yeah, sort of. I get that he's doing kind of a faux-Celtic but Ponty's usually associated more with jazz.

Many of the Canadian Celtic artists I like succumb to what I call "Canadian disease" -- insisting on putting the violin in front of drums and electric bass, which to my ear does nothing but get in the way. It's a mix like oil and water. This is the most primal soulful music I know of that doesn't come from Africa, so I like to feel it stripped down to its raw humanity.

One of my favourite violinists is guilty of Canadian disease in her recent career, but you have to wonder why it's necessary when you see her in acoustic mode -- this is Dominique Dupuis, from Miramichi in northern New Brunswick... when I first saw here she was fourteen and literally made me just hang up the instrument in awe:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg0zjlHmWXM]Dominique Dupuis - Festival Interceltique de Lorient 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

New Topics

Forum List

Back