Do you know what is in your pet food?

JustAnotherNut

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2015
Apparently some pet (dog) food brands have trace amounts of Pentobarbitol, a drug used to euthanize dogs, cats, and some horses. Federal law prohibits any amounts of this drug into the food supply, yet the FDA and the manufacturers have been lax on testing for &/or stopping it from happening. The manufacturer's have been using suppliers that are unregistered/unapproved by the FDA.....and of course everyone is pointing fingers at the other for blame.

FDA to investigate after ABC7 exposes euthanasia drug in dog food

Evanger's brand of canned/wet dog food made 4 dogs sick, with one dying from it. Further testing of dog food brands resulted in Gravy Train canned/wet dog food as repeatedly testing positive for the drug in small amounts.......not enough to be harmful BUT by law should be 0%.

There is a dog food recall on other brands for the same reasons, all made by Big Heart Brands that is owned by Smuckers.(yes the jam people)

This list is from another story taken from the one above...Popular Dog Food Brands Recalled After Repeatedly Testing Positive for Euthanasia Drug

Gravy Train 22 oz. with Beef Chunks (UPC: 7910051647)

Kibbles ‘N Bits canned/wet dog food

• Kibbles N Bits 13.2 oz. Burger Bacon Cheese and Turkey Bacon Vegetable Variety 12-Pack (UPC: 7910010377; 7910010378)

• Kibbles N Bits 13.2 oz. Beef, Chicken, Vegetable, Meatball Pasta and Turkey Bacon Vegetable Variety Pack (UPC: 7910010382; 7910048367; 7910010378)

• Kibbles N Bits 13.2 oz. Beef, Chicken, Vegetable, Burger Bacon Cheese and Beef Vegetable Variety Pack (UPC: 7910010380; 7910010377; 7910010375)

• Kibbles N Bits 13.2 oz. Wet Variety Pack (UPC: 791001037; 7910048367)

• Kibbles N Bits 13.2 oz. Chef’s Choice Bistro Tender Cuts with Real Beef & Vegetable in Gravy (UPC: 7910010375)

• Kibbles N Bits 13.2 oz. Chef’s Choice Bistro Tender Cuts with Real Turkey, Bacon & Vegetable in Gravy (UPC: 7910010378)

• Kibbles N Bits 13.2 oz. Chef’s Choice Homestyle Tender Slices with Real Beef, Chicken & Vegetables in Gravy (UPC: 7910010380)

Skippy canned/wet dog food

• Skippy 13.2 oz. Premium Select Cuts in Gravy with Beef & Bone Marrow (UPC: 7910071860)

• Skippy 13.2 oz. Premium Select Cuts with Burgers & Cheese Bits (UPC: 7910050243)

• Skippy 13.2 oz. Premium Chunks in Gravy with Smoky Turkey & Bacon (UPC: 7910050246)

• Skippy 13.2 oz. Premium Chunks in Gravy with Beef & Chicken (UPC: 7910050247)

• Skippy 13.2 oz. Premium Chunks in Gravy 3 in 1 Chicken, Beef & Liver (UPC: 7910050248)

• Skippy 13.2 oz. Premium Chunks in Gravy Chunky Stew (UPC: 7910050249)

• Skippy 13.2 oz. Premium Strips in Gravy with Chicken (UPC: 7910050244)

• Skippy 13.2 oz. Premium Chunks in Gravy with Beef (UPC: 7910050250)

• Skippy 13.2 oz. Premium Strips in Gravy with Beef (UPC: 7910050245)

Big Heart Brands is also the maker of Meow Mix, Milk Bone, Kibbles’n Bits, 9 Lives, Natural Balance, Pup-Peroni, Gravy Train, Nature’s Recipe, Canine Carry Outs, Milo’s Kitchen, Alley Cat, Jerky Treats, Meaty Bone, Pounce and Snausages......not all of these brands are on recall or part of the drug findings, but are worth mentioning since they are all made by the same company. So you may want to rethink your kibble and maybe even your jam.

Yes ...

fargo-wood-chipper.gif

This thread was intended to be informative for anyone that wasn't aware of the recall and/or the questionability of the food they may or may not be feeding their pets AND the crossover of brands made by the same companies.

But some putz's around here choose to make it a joke :slap::cheeky-smiley-018:

This thread was intended to be informative for anyone that wasn't aware of the recall and/or the questionability of the food they may or may not be feeding their pets AND the crossover of brands made by the same companies.

Sorry sweetheart...just havin a bit of fun.

Pet owners are sooooo cute.

View attachment 177851

Now that's just gross, but it's true dogs do eat their excrement and puke.......usually there is something missing from their diet
Is that why they do that? I am not a pet owner but I have seen many do it...it is utterly repulsive when it happens.

Actually I guess there are several reasons why dogs eat poop, both their own & other dogs or animals.

Why Dogs Eat Poop – The 5 Primary Causes

And nutrition &/or health issues is one of them.

Why You Should Take Your Poop Eating Dog to the Vet
If your dog eats poop, you should make sure it’s not because of a health issue. Some dogs will start eating poop when they aren’t absorbing enough nutrients, they have parasites, or they have issues with their pancreas. All coprophagic dogs should be examined by a veterinarian. Please read my other post on coprophagia and dog health.

Thankfully neither of our dogs eat their poop...........but they have eaten puke when they've been sick, but that has been a rarity

Sorry sweetheart...just havin a bit of fun.

Yeah.....and that's why I only called ya a putz & included smiley's.

If I thought you were being more serious, I'da not been so nice

I hope they find the assholes that are putting these chemicals in pet food and put them out of business for good. There seems to be a story like this about products coming out of China once every two years or so.

I hope they find the assholes that are putting these chemicals in pet food and put them out of business for good. There seems to be a story like this about products coming out of China once every two years or so.

True, but this isn't from China

"The question still remains how the drug made its way into the food, since it is often only found in the systems of cats, horses and dogs put down by the drug. Some worry this means these animals are being put into pet food,"

In the movie Soylent Green they go to the exchange with the records from the Soylent corporation. On the cover the dates are 2015-2019. We have arrived. They aren't using people yet, but they're getting close.

Tin foilers feel free to run around the house at your liesure.

"The question still remains how the drug made its way into the food, since it is often only found in the systems of cats, horses and dogs put down by the drug. Some worry this means these animals are being put into pet food,"

In the movie Soylent Green they go to the exchange with the records from the Soylent corporation. On the cover the dates are 2015-2019. We have arrived. They aren't using people yet, but they're getting close.

I've not seen Soylent Green & confess I didn't watch the video, mainly cause I figured it had to do with such atrocities.

There is no other way for the drug to have gotten into the food, if it wasn't from processing other dead animals. I think in one of the links in the OP, it stated that it was common practice to use dead animals &/or parts of them from places like slaughter houses, animal shelters, etc.

Don't forget, that was also how Mad Cow disease had spread. It isn't a contagious virus, but from feeding diseased cows to healthy ones.

I've not seen Soylent Green & confess I didn't watch the video, mainly cause I figured it had to do with such atrocities.

There is no other way for the drug to have gotten into the food, if it wasn't from processing other dead animals. I think in one of the links in the OP, it stated that it was common practice to use dead animals &/or parts of them from places like slaughter houses, animal shelters, etc.

Don't forget, that was also how Mad Cow disease had spread. It isn't a contagious virus, but from feeding diseased cows to healthy ones.

You haven't seen Soylent Green? Get thee to a, well there aren't video stores anymore, stream it tonight then! You'll understand real quick.

There is no level of debauchery the human race will not go to make money. None.

Last edited:

You haven't seen Soylent Green? Get thee to a, well there aren't video stores anymore, steam it tonight then! You'll understand real quick.

At first I thought "oh, so these pet food manufacturers are just somehow getting trace amounts of chemicals in the food". But now it appears no, they are grinding up dead euthanized animals possibly.

There is no level of debauchery the human race will not go to make money. None.

The Almighty Greed is prevalent everywhere and in this case (and probably others as well)......the FDA turns a blind eye to the very laws they've established.

I have heard some stories about human DNA in the food supply, but I can't/won't go into verifying that Pandora's Box because it's not just about the finished product or food item, but also in crop manipulation

Apparently some pet (dog) food brands have trace amounts of Pentobarbitol, a drug used to euthanize dogs, cats, and some horses. Federal law prohibits any amounts of this drug into the food supply, yet the FDA and the manufacturers have been lax on testing for &/or stopping it from happening. The manufacturer's have been using suppliers that are unregistered/unapproved by the FDA.....and of course everyone is pointing fingers at the other for blame.

Evanger's brand of canned/wet dog food made 4 dogs sick, with one dying from it. Further testing of dog food brands resulted in Gravy Train canned/wet dog food as repeatedly testing positive for the drug in small amounts.......not enough to be harmful BUT by law should be 0%.

There is a dog food recall on other brands for the same reasons, all made by Big Heart Brands that is owned by Smuckers.(yes the jam people)

This list is from another story taken from the one above...Popular Dog Food Brands Recalled After Repeatedly Testing Positive for Euthanasia Drug

• Kibbles N Bits 13.2 oz. Burger Bacon Cheese and Turkey Bacon Vegetable Variety 12-Pack (UPC: 7910010377; 7910010378)

• Kibbles N Bits 13.2 oz. Beef, Chicken, Vegetable, Meatball Pasta and Turkey Bacon Vegetable Variety Pack (UPC: 7910010382; 7910048367; 7910010378)

• Kibbles N Bits 13.2 oz. Beef, Chicken, Vegetable, Burger Bacon Cheese and Beef Vegetable Variety Pack (UPC: 7910010380; 7910010377; 7910010375)

• Kibbles N Bits 13.2 oz. Chef’s Choice Bistro Tender Cuts with Real Beef & Vegetable in Gravy (UPC: 7910010375)

• Kibbles N Bits 13.2 oz. Chef’s Choice Bistro Tender Cuts with Real Turkey, Bacon & Vegetable in Gravy (UPC: 7910010378)

• Kibbles N Bits 13.2 oz. Chef’s Choice Homestyle Tender Slices with Real Beef, Chicken & Vegetables in Gravy (UPC: 7910010380)

• Skippy 13.2 oz. Premium Select Cuts in Gravy with Beef & Bone Marrow (UPC: 7910071860)

• Skippy 13.2 oz. Premium Select Cuts with Burgers & Cheese Bits (UPC: 7910050243)

• Skippy 13.2 oz. Premium Chunks in Gravy with Smoky Turkey & Bacon (UPC: 7910050246)

• Skippy 13.2 oz. Premium Chunks in Gravy 3 in 1 Chicken, Beef & Liver (UPC: 7910050248)

Big Heart Brands is also the maker of Meow Mix, Milk Bone, Kibbles’n Bits, 9 Lives, Natural Balance, Pup-Peroni, Gravy Train, Nature’s Recipe, Canine Carry Outs, Milo’s Kitchen, Alley Cat, Jerky Treats, Meaty Bone, Pounce and Snausages......not all of these brands are on recall or part of the drug findings, but are worth mentioning since they are all made by the same company. So you may want to rethink your kibble and maybe even your jam.

I always read the label carefully before I select something to feed my little girl. Losing her would be about the worst thing in my life.

I always read the label carefully before I select something to feed my little girl. Losing her would be about the worst thing in my life.

Agreed....but labels won't tell you if previously euthanized animals were used to produce that food.

best bet would be to make your own, but that could be a bit overwhelming to say the least, to ensure they are getting the proper amounts of the right nutrients

Forum List

Back