Do you hear what I hear?

flaja

Jan 19, 2006
The Christmas song “Do You Hear What I Hear” has a verse to the effect “A child shivers in the cold; let us bring him silver and gold”.

Isn’t this just the typical liberal solution to a social problem- throw money at it.

The Christmas song “Do You Hear What I Hear” has a verse to the effect “A child shivers in the cold; let us bring him silver and gold”.

Isn’t this just the typical liberal solution to a social problem- throw money at it.

You have very funny ways for a 'conservative' and a 'Christian.' I wonder if bushlover is a brother of yours?

You have very funny ways for a 'conservative' and a 'Christian.'

How on earth did you jump to this conclusion? I did not say this child should not be helped. But, throwing money at a social problem simply subsidizes it, and when you subsidize something you will perpetuate it and propagate it.

Charity is a private matter. Christians are commanded by God to look after the less fortunate; the government has no legitimate role in the matter. And even private charity should be performed in such a way so as to deal with the root of whatever problem you are trying to remedy. A helping hand is fine. A handout, in the liberal tradition, is simply a wasted effort- you know- that teach a man to fish thing.

How on earth did you jump to this conclusion? I did not say this child should not be helped. But, throwing money at a social problem simply subsidizes it, and when you subsidize something you will perpetuate it and propagate it.

Charity is a private matter. Christians are commanded by God to look after the less fortunate; the government has no legitimate role in the matter. And even private charity should be performed in such a way so as to deal with the root of whatever problem you are trying to remedy. A helping hand is fine. A handout, in the liberal tradition, is simply a wasted effort- you know- that teach a man to fish thing.

Where in the song does it state that the government should intervene? It seems that bringing the child silver and gold is a rather personal action. Shouldn't the song say, "Let us bring this to the attention of the government so that they can be helped," if it truly was some "evil" liberal assertion?

Uh huh. You have given to which private charities? You voted primarily how in the latest elections and before?

Seriously, I'm pretty sure many of us know you are a poseur, trying to 'show us too idiotic the way', in your superior version of the Socratic method. However, your questions, not too mention commentary are less than enlightening.

Uh huh. You have given to which private charities? You voted primarily how in the latest elections and before?

Seriously, I'm pretty sure many of us know you are a poseur, trying to 'show us too idiotic the way', in your superior version of the Socratic method. However, your questions, not too mention commentary are less than enlightening.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Kathianne again."

I owe ya' one.:D

Not that it is any of your business, but I once served as a volunteer tutor for the local public library’s adult literacy program. Two years ago I donated several hundred dollars worth of gormet food products to the local city rescue mission. I have also donated toys to a local children’s home on numerous occasions. I currently visit an elderly neighbor who has been put in a nursing home against her will and has no local family who will visit her. Furthermore, I am in the process of looking for a church, school or college to which I can donate a $40,000 inheritance. So don’t lecture me with your liberalese regarding charity.

When I turned 18 I registered to vote as the 1st Republican in my family. However, I changed my registration status to “no party” when 10 GOP senators voted to acquit Clinton in 1999. I voted for GWB in 2000 and 2004- but only because I feared the Democrat alternative even more than I did GWB. Both times I have regretted my vote. I did not vote in the 2006 election because I no longer fear the Democrats enough to vote Republican and I will never vote for a Republican again.

Now maybe you'd like to tell us about your personal charitible and political activities.

So, let's read the verse to find what they were talkng about... and who was asking the question...
Said the shepherd boy to the mighty king, do you know what I know In your palace warm, mighty king, do you know what I know A child, a child shivers in the cold, let us bring him silver and gold Let us bring him silver and gold

It's the shepard boy talking to the mighty king...

Hmmm... It begins to sound like a reference to those who brought gifts as written in that story rather than any idea that the government should fix this particular problem... I can't "hear" what you hear here, it seems far more like it was a suggestion that they visit the birthplace that they heard about earlier...

Not that it is any of your business, but I once served as a volunteer tutor for the local public library’s adult literacy program. Two years ago I donated several hundred dollars worth of gormet food products to the local city rescue mission.
Wow. Literacy program. I've done such for the past 10 years, you did once? May it be that it's very slow and tedious? Yet very rewarding? As for the gourmet foods, your condescension is showing, to both those that are 'neo cons' and those on the receiving end of your 'largesse'.
I have also donated toys to a local children’s home on numerous occasions. I currently visit an elderly neighbor who has been put in a nursing home against her will and has no local family who will visit her.
Well damit to hell. You've given toys! What 2nd grader hasn't? You da man, just ask you. As for your neighbor, you know, the elderly one, what have you done to make her life better in the home? Or getting out of the home? Which is better?
Furthermore, I am in the process of looking for a church, school or college to which I can donate a $40,000 inheritance. So don’t lecture me with your liberalese regarding charity.
Cool, you have 40k to give, on what basis do you decide? The rhetoric or the results? I wish I could do so.
When I turned 18 I registered to vote as the 1st Republican in my family. However, I changed my registration status to “no party” when 10 GOP senators voted to acquit Clinton in 1999. I voted for GWB in 2000 and 2004- but only because I feared the Democrat alternative even more than I did GWB. Both times I have regretted my vote. I did not vote in the 2006 election because I no longer fear the Democrats enough to vote Republican and I will never vote for a Republican again.
uh huh. Loser.

Now maybe you'd like to tell us about your personal charitible and political activities.[/QUOTE]

This song has been going through my head all afternoon. One of the really good Christmas tunes, IMO. :)

Since when is the Lord Jesus Christ a social problem? Its a song to tribute His birth. The Birth of the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords. I suggest you give him the honor He deserves.

I have also donated toys to a local children’s home on numerous occasions. I currently visit an elderly neighbor who has been put in a nursing home against her will and has no local family who will visit her.
Well damit to hell. You've given toys! What 2nd grader hasn't? You da man,

You gripe when I complain about the government being charitable with my money and demand to know what charity I do on my own and then you gripe more because my charity doesn’t meet with your liberal satisfaction? Go to Hell.

Since when is the Lord Jesus Christ a social problem? Its a song to tribute His birth. The Birth of the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords. I suggest you give him the honor He deserves.

How have I done otherwise?

How have I done otherwise?

Your opening post. You know the one I quoted when i responded?

Why is it you always seem to want to pretend you didnt say something when we freakin quite you saying it?

Forum List

Back