Do you fear long gas lines/rationing?

Go electric..over a million people have, thus far:

If gas vehicle vs electric becomes political..will we see the Dems cruisn' in their electrics while Repubs languish in long lines?

My next car....https://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz/eqs

View attachment 445731

What happens when electricity is rationed?
What happens when it is not?

You mean like in California this summer?
Are you going to charge your car, when you return from work,
with a few hours of your own solar?
Well...I live in Idaho..so not an issue. However...that's not totally out of the question for some....in Cali. The power situation in California pertains to California and its fire issues. It is not a lack of power issue.

The power situation in California pertains to California and its fire issues. It is not a lack of power issue.

WHen California shuts down your power, it sure as hell is a lack of power issue.
The guy in California trying to charge his car has no power.

If gas vehicle vs electric becomes political..will we see the Dems cruisn' in their electrics while Repubs languish in long lines?

View attachment 445731

Well...I live in Idaho..so not an issue. However...that's not totally out of the question for some....in Cali. The power situation in California pertains to California and its fire issues. It is not a lack of power issue.

The power situation in California pertains to California and its fire issues. It is not a lack of power issue.

WHen California shuts down your power, it sure as hell is a lack of power issue.
Semantics..I'm pretty sure you know what I meant in the context--that fracking and coal had nothing to do with it...but no matter..truth is..electric IS the future..and one thing we agree upon, I think--gas prices are going up. So...makes sense to bail now..on the gas vehicles.

View attachment 445731

Semantics..I'm pretty sure you know what I meant in the context--that fracking and coal had nothing to do with it...but no matter..truth is..electric IS the future..and one thing we agree upon, I think--gas prices are going up. So...makes sense to bail now..on the gas vehicles.

Maybe, but I wouldn't be so sure. How about natural gas vehicles instead- a lot of gas is being produced in America?

The problem is that the nation's grease monkeys really haven't been trained on these new modalities- and poor people sure the hell can't afford to take their cars out to the dealer. Maybe its time to start teaching this is our high schools?

I enjoyed racing R/C cars- man them suckers were fast!

For 4 minutes-

We used to have an idiot Democrat in town here. He kept running for local offices but never won. He told me once that all of the cars and trucks in the country should be electric, and there could be wires embedded in the the roads so they'd get their power like slot cars.

:auiqs.jpg:

View attachment 445731

Maybe, but I wouldn't be so sure. How about natural gas vehicles instead- a lot of gas is being produced in America?

The problem is that the nation's grease monkeys really haven't been trained on these new modalities- and poor people sure the hell can't afford to take their cars out to the dealer. Maybe its time to start teaching this is our high schools?
Naw...natural gas does not have the bang for the buck--then there's the thought of 10's of millions of moving bombs--and the storage issues.

I totally agree that it is past time to develop a curriculum for electric..although most auto manufacturers have schools for techs. More that have the knowlege..the more that can find jobs in the field.

View attachment 445731

Naw...natural gas does not have the bang for the buck--then there's the thought of 10's of millions of moving bombs--and the storage issues.

I totally agree that it is past time to develop a curriculum for electric..although most auto manufacturers have schools for techs. More that have the knowlege..the more that can find jobs in the field.

Technology is constantly changing, there are a lot of gas vehicles out there already and it can improve.

As far as auto manufacturers having schools for tech, the poor people can't afford to take their rides to the dealer. They do it in their backyard, on the street or a local garage. Teaching government school teens how to fix cars would be a tremendous thing.

Interesting factoid related to the gas rationing of the 70's. I remember riding with my Dad over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and seeing oil tankers lined up as far as the eye could see, waiting to unload. It wasn't really a supply problem.

You motorized go-cart lovers should probably fear California-style rolling blackouts more. Thanks to the upcoming EPA regulations on fracking and coal, electricity will become unreliable and mucho expensive.

But then you could always make a dandy chicken coop out of those those fancy electric cars
LOL! let's see..oh yeah..Cali gets zero power from fracking/coal...the rolling blackouts were not due to a lack of power, but rather fear of starting fires..and is some cases actual fires.
There is no evidence, none, that rolling blackouts or rising power costs are going to result from FF shortages...all speculation and fear-mongering on your part.

I look forward to my Mercedes 'chicken coop' in 2022~
They need to use sense. Forest management. A few nep power plants and some man made lakes used as resoirvors with pipes to move water to areas that need it. Use nature as you can and keep it is as good as it can be with the increased energy and water output. I do not live there. We have our own threats from hurricanes in Florida. But we have energy and water. And with prudent upgrades in infrastructure will improve in restoring power and water as time goes by.

The problem is that the nation's grease monkeys really haven't been trained on these new modalities
Back when I read newspapers, I read that *shade tree mechanics* were a problem that needed to be dealt with since they figured out ways to circumvent the emissions controls- (air pumps, etc) - at the time I couldn't conceive how "they" could do that- voila! computers and degree of difficulty in even getting to an engine- anecdote: I was a pretty fair "shade tree mechanic" and could fix just about anything, today I don't even like looking under a hood because you can't see the engine anyway. BUT, computer nerds sell computer programs to make the engines perform better :p- and thanks to computers and electronic timing and fuel injection, better materials for components and CNC machines, (oh, I might add, CNC machines are pretty much machinist robots) engines are much more efficient. Efficiency is also key to performance improvement-

I have a good buddy who is a professional "grease monkey" who has been in business for a long time (he's 54 years old) and makes a damn good living- his son (21 or so) doesn't like working on cars so the business will die when he hangs up his tools- anyway, he buys the tools he needs to work on new cars and subscribes to an internet service for hints and procedures for diagnosing and has a pretty nifty hand held scanner made by Snap-On-

My point(s) being; it ain't, nor will it be, all doom and gloom and there is opportunity for those who choose to use it- there will always be creative types and there will always be repairmen- creative types keep repairmen in business and keep rule writers in a job- sadly, (or not depending on perspective) rule writers never seem to learn there are people who actually enjoy bending or circumventing or ignoring rules- forget what their rules say, you know you win, when, you live life your own way

so they'd get their power like slot cars.
LOL- there is a saying- if the mind conceive it and the heart can believe it, it can be achieved- people have been trying to find a road substance that will last since foot trails- there's still a lot left to do before wires in run down roads will work efficiently- but, I wouldn't rule it out- slot cars are damn fast too- the good thing about slot cars and R/C cars; you don't get hurt when you wreck- of course the competitor you take out might change that dynamic a tad- o_O reminds me of my youngest son one night at an RC track we raced at- there was an older kid there who couldn't handle his truck (and it was pretty fast) who kept running over my son- after one of the heat races my son walked up to him and told him; if you run over me again I'm going to kick your butt- (the kid was bigger and a year or so older) - my son won the feature and the other kind didn't run over him, ever, again.

View attachment 445731

I'm pretty sure you know what I meant in the context--

I think I do know what you meant. Do you fear upcoming gas rationing?

What would you rather have in Florida, before a big hurricane hits, an EV or an old fashioned IC?

but no matter..truth is..electric IS the future..

Depends, are we going to have more cheap, reliable electricty to charge those cars, or
are we going to go the Germany and California route and have more expensive, intermittent
electricity for this new, huge area of demand?

View attachment 445731
Does

Not

Fix

the

Problem

On anything. It will jack up the price of energy everywhere. Electric is way less efficient.

I have not seen long gas lines and rationing since the 70s so no I don't fear it.
Sadly I am no stranger to them. They were here in east Tennessee back in the fall of 2008. Our gas price got as high as $5.00 a gallon which was the most expensive in the whole country.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Thankfully, gas was as low as $1.35 a gallon just before Christmas that year.

The market will take care of the power points. You will see a shift of power from big oil to smaller localised landowners. Malls,hospitals,schools and local municipal landowners will fill the void.

Just like backyard furnaces, where every citizen who wasn't otherwise occupied would be in the business of refining steel, was going to fuel the economy under China's Great Leap Forward.

Forum List

Back