Do you consider western europe as a extension of america?

Mortimer

Gold Member
I live in a western european country, and I think it is nearly the same as america, you will have halloween parties, you will have santa, coke, mcdonalds, sushi, and everything. Even a own local league of american football. Superbowl in the US is live on TV. And majority speak english. Maybe only very very old people dont as they learned french in school, now everyone speaks english under 60.

I live in a western european country, and I think it is nearly the same as america, you will have halloween parties, you will have santa, coke, mcdonalds, sushi, and everything. Even a own local league of american football. Superbowl in the US is live on TV. And majority speak english. Maybe only very very old people dont as they learned french in school, now everyone speaks english under 60.

Not no but hell no! America escaped that area in 1620. Western Europe still doesn't enjoy the freedoms America has.

Was always amazed how many people spoke English in western European countries, thank God. Heck Mort, i could introduce you to some born in the USA, you might have trouble understanding, speaking their own native tongue. Few people speak a foreign language here as a second language, though not unusual to see shop keepers in large European cities talking multiple customers fluently in multiple languages as natural a falling off a log and more easily understood than some of those here I spoke of. Haven't been over since the 90s but there was a lot of difference back then.

No I do not. There are pockets of America that still have a lot of European traditions held over from immigrants, so that is a 2-way street.

No, the U.S. took in so many Europeans I see the U.S. as an extension of Europe, the part that fled feudalism and the European culture wars. English only became a international language after WW II, with America the 'last man standing' re economics and military influence; even the Soviet and Red Chinese slave states didn't adopt their rulers' languages, while the U.S.'s de-colonisation agenda and creation of independent states and Britain's former colonies prospered along with our popularity. We're less popular today, but still a lot more popular than Russia and Red China, and Europe for that matter. Asia, India, and Europe are filled with anglophiles. Sometimes it looks like American culture, both good and bad aspects, are more popular overseas than it is in America itself.

I was personally amazed to find out a lot of our old crappy westerns were popular in places like Malaysia, for instance. I like quite a few westerns, don't get me wrong, some are very good, but they're also the worst and cheesiest written plots and acting ever seen on screen a lot more often than they're good. lol

No I do not. There are pockets of America that still have a lot of European traditions held over from immigrants, so that is a 2-way street.

I can't really think of any that are not European in origin or based on some European premise; our Establishment clause comes from English exiles in the Netherlands, to name a big one that people think is distinctive to the U.S., and our 2nd Amendment is a natural product of frontier realities and technological progression, and a common feature of other European settlers in other places as well.

Halloween is originally Celtic, not American.
Santa Claus originates in Turkey, not America
Sushi is Japanese, not American
American football originates from Rugby in England, not America
English is from England, not from America

Not no but hell no! America escaped that area in 1620. Western Europe still doesn't enjoy the freedoms America has.
Perzactly.

The western Europeans came here because that lifestyle is fucked up.

No, we dont.... Americans are too self centered to ever think such a thing... :)

Plus, we had a Revolutionary war, to make certain we were separate....

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
NO.

From what I hear of people who travel overseas to Western Europe, they all despise Americans...........but they ALL want what we have in America for some reason. So they are all hypocrites........which is an American trait.

One of my teachers in high school visited many European countries in her life. She told us that even though many Europeans can speak English, they expect visitors to their countries to speak enough of their language to order in a restaurant. She also told us that many visitors to European countries get treated extremely badly, are looked down on, and even harassed and attacked because they don't speak their language.

I would love to see some places in Europe, but I'm not taking any chance with it. I'm happy enough taking a "google tour" through where ever I want to visit.

• Funny
Reactions: cnm

Yeah, but we can't get beer in a McDonald's or Burger KIng. LOL

Well modern America was created by Europeans, so some cultural exchange is inevitable, but I wouldn't go as far as to say one is an "extension" of the other.

New Topics

Forum List

Back