CDZ Do you agree or disagree with Rent Strikes?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
AOC among others are now proposing legislation to suspend rent payments for the foreseeable future. How do you feel about that? I believe it is a terrible idea to put into law that defaulting on an agreed upon contract is fine. I get that many people find themselves suddenly unemployed but IMO they need to work out an agreement with their landlord on a case by case basis.

hard question..people can pay rent and eat with prices going up....evictions are gonna be non existent with courts closed...etc...rent reduction perhaps?

Tough one, lets hope landlords that can afford it will consider slow low or late payments, for the low income people, everyone has been told a trillion times you have to put money back for basic living expenses. but lots of people just starting out or beginning again, due to illness or job loss start at the hand to mouth level & saving is near impossible. if you have enough income & made the choice to spend it all, cant feel bad for you at all.

In some places, I heard that renters are asking Landlords to open their books and requesting that they don't have to provide proof of unemployment or anything that shows COVID put them in a bad place.

That's a bit much.

Any rent/loans/mortgage payments deferred at this point will have to be paid in the future. Better to scrape it up now then to need to scrape up 4-5 months worth of rent at one time in the future.

Well, when maybe 6 people own everything, private property rights will be meaningless to most people and will already be de facto non-existent anyway. No need to worry about it now. We're all going to get rich in the stock markets and stuff.

Other reasons to strike than simply financial. We deliberately self evicted when a new policy begun in January allowed overnight guests who could also share kitchen and bathroom. Strangers were coming and going at all hours, endangering the entire apartment house.

1592180578326.png

Why should this be the landlords problem?

Plenty of storage units available.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Well a measly $1200 will do nothing. It should have been 3 grand per person.

How about putting money in a savings for things like this. Think these day to day people didn't spend that $1200 the same day they got it? Work and save, forget the government tit. $5 a week adds up, makes a good emergency fund, they should try it.
I have a sister-in-law who is always in financial distress, borrowing money from her parents (she's nearly 50!). But she has a 4 or 5 dollar Starbucks coffee every day. And she never misses a beauty appointment to get her hair, nails, eyebrows and God knows what else done.

Forum List

Back