Do liberals find it easier to buy into overpopulation because they often live in overcrowded cities?

Pedro de San Patricio

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2015
California
I was thinking about it and I guess it would make sense. People tend to base their opinions around their own personal experiences. Of course someone would think there are too many people and would consequently be okay with cutting back on that number if they spent their lives exclusively hopping between large coastal cities and ignored the sparsely inhabited "flyover country" every time they traveled. That would just be compounded by the facts that most of their teachers would have bought into it and probably pushed it, the local political party has curbing it as one of their goals, leftist thought has accepted it wholesale for a couple of hundred years and been uncontroversially okay with solving it through eugenics and forcible sterilization no longer popular in the West (though it did take the more liberal parts of Europe the more liberal parts of the US most admire until the 70s to stop that shit), much of their social circle would be reinforcing their views... I can totally see how somebody who was born and lived all their lives in San Francisco would think there are too many homeless poor people and be more inclined to believe it when they're told culling some of that number is the most compassionate thing to do.

Last edited:
I was thinking about it and I guess it would make sense..

As someone who grew up in the country, but now lives in San Francisco- what the hell are you talking about?

We have tons of room in the United States- vast unpopulated areas. We have however limited resources to support them. In the United States our growth has come almost to a stop- most of our population growth now is from immigrants.

In other parts of the world- Africa, Asia- rapid population growth is making development very difficult. What we have seen is a natural inclination to lower population growth once a society feels secure about food and living.

Overpopulation was a hot topic back in the 70's and 80's. The rapid decline in birth rates outside of Africa has pretty much put it to rest though. Now it's more about resource depletion, which may fizzle out the same way, who knows. It's better to prepare for disaster then pretend nothing is wrong IMO.

Forum List

Back