Do I care that the post office put a sticker on my mail boz, "Managed Service Point?"

Beachboy

Irritated Indy Voter
Apr 8, 2013
Pacific Palisades, CA & Albuquerque, NM
checkpoint-label.jpg

The "Managed Service Point" sticker showed up on my mail box yesterday without any explanation. It says MSP, has my zip code, and zip plus that is not my address. I found the following on the internet from the Postal Carriers Handbook.

SERVICE TALK: MANAGED SERVICE POINT (MSP)
The purpose of MSP is to provide our customers with a consistent and timely delivery of mail. One of the major complaints of our customers is that they are not getting their mail at the same time every day. This is not an unreasonable expectation. By implementing MSP, we are better able to analyze and document our delivery performance and address those areas that need improvement.
As a carrier, your efforts are instrumental in the effective usage of this program. Several key elements need your attention such as:
•
Carriers are required to scan all barcodes on your route and any portion of another route(Pivoting) that you may be assigned.
•
Carriers are prohibited from manually keying in the barcode number.
•
Carriers are required to scan all barcodes at the address where it was placed, whether you have mail for that address or not. This scan must be made at the actual time of delivery.
•
If you are missing a barcode label at a designated service point, it is important that you inform your supervisor upon return to the office.
Missed scans diminish the effectiveness of MSP. All carriers must know the
locations of barcode labels on a route. If you are new to the route, ask your supervisor for the list.
It is important to remember that when you do a pivot on another route, you are required to scan the barcode on that route. Ask you supervisor for the barcode location list prior to departing for the route.
FAX:
- 2 -
These scans and the information they provide, are official records of the United States Postal Service. It is a serious violation to falsify any of these scans and alter any of these records. It is also a serious violation to have any copies or duplicates of your MSP barcodes and to scan them in order tocircumvent the program. MSP is being monitored extensively. Any indications of duplicate or copied barcodes and manually keying in of barcode numbers will be investigated and the appropriate corrective action will be taken if there is proof of these violations. In some offices, termination actions have been taken against employees committing these violations.
The following excerpts from the ELM and M‐41 pertain to your role in
ensuring that the labels are scanned correctly and that duplicate or copied
labels are not scanned and the barcode numbers are not manually keyed
in.
ELM 661.3c: Employees must avoid, whether or not specifically prohibited
by the Code, which might result in or create the appearance of impeding
Postal Service efficiency and economy.
ELM 61.1: Employyes are expected to discharge their assigned duties
conscientiously and effectively.
ELM 661.51: Employees must obey the instructions of their supervisors.
Please ensure that you understand the importance of correctly scanning
your labels and the seriousness of scanning any duplicate or copied labels.
If you have any questions about MSP or proper set up of scanners and
actual scanning, please contact your supervisor.
- 3 -
Your cooperation in making MSP an effective program to ensure consistent delivery to our customers is appreciated.

I asked my postman about it, and he was not too happy about it. He said this is a program the USPS has been developing for several years to scan how far along a carrier is in covering their route. The scanner is also a flip cellular telephone. There are quite a few complaints on the internet about USPS not asking about the sticker. Apparently, they do not have to. Looks to me like a way to can lazy postal carriers.

I checked on the internet, a postal carrier delivering mail on the street makes between $52,220 and $57,700. Is this government getting "more bang for their buck," or is this "Big Brother?" For some reason the term "Patriot Act" is running through my mind right now.

patriot_act.jpg

Last edited:
checkpoint-label.jpg

The "Managed Service Point" sticker showed up on my mail box yesterday without any explanation. It says MSP, has my zip code, and zip plus that is not my address. I found the following on the internet from the Postal Carriers Handbook.

The purpose of MSP is to provide our customers with a consistent and timely delivery of mail. One of the major complaints of our customers is that they are not getting their mail at the same time every day. This is not an unreasonable expectation. By implementing MSP, we are better able to analyze and document our delivery performance and address those areas that need improvement.
As a carrier, your efforts are instrumental in the effective usage of this program. Several key elements need your attention such as:
•
Carriers are required to scan all barcodes on your route and any portion of another route(Pivoting) that you may be assigned.
•
•
Carriers are required to scan all barcodes at the address where it was placed, whether you have mail for that address or not. This scan must be made at the actual time of delivery.
•
If you are missing a barcode label at a designated service point, it is important that you inform your supervisor upon return to the office.
locations of barcode labels on a route. If you are new to the route, ask your supervisor for the list.
It is important to remember that when you do a pivot on another route, you are required to scan the barcode on that route. Ask you supervisor for the barcode location list prior to departing for the route.
FAX:
- 2 -
These scans and the information they provide, are official records of the United States Postal Service. It is a serious violation to falsify any of these scans and alter any of these records. It is also a serious violation to have any copies or duplicates of your MSP barcodes and to scan them in order tocircumvent the program. MSP is being monitored extensively. Any indications of duplicate or copied barcodes and manually keying in of barcode numbers will be investigated and the appropriate corrective action will be taken if there is proof of these violations. In some offices, termination actions have been taken against employees committing these violations.
in.
- 3 -
Your cooperation in making MSP an effective program to ensure consistent delivery to our customers is appreciated.

I asked my postman about it, and he was not too happy about it. He said this is a program the USPS has been developing for several years to scan how far along a carrier is in covering their route. The scanner is also a flip cellular telephone. There are quite a few complaints on the internet about USPS not asking about the sticker. Apparently, they do not have to. Looks to me like a way to can lazy postal carriers.

I checked on the internet, a postal carrier delivering mail on the street makes between $52,220 and $57,700. Is this government getting "more bang for their buck," or is this "Big Brother?" For some reason the term "Patriot Act" is running through my mind right now.

patriot_act.jpg

Yes you care, otherwise you would not had started his herald about it.

I see a lot of points in favor and against this MSPs. I think the American people have long questioned the efficiency of government employees. At the same time if I were a postal carrier it would seem like a lot of the freedom and enjoyment of working outdoors would be gone.

I understand from conversations with mail carriers that many veterans do this work, and stay off the welfare roles. Our carrier of the last ten years is a vet, who has some serious post-traumatic stress problems. Our neighbors tuned us in, and frequently we deliver mail to each other's homes. We see it as a chance to say "hi."

Our postal carrier misses work a day or two a week, and others run his route which adds to the chaos of mail delivery. Some years ago we opened a mail box to assure receipt of our mail. There was a lot of returned mail.

With MSP on his route, I think our mail carrier is not long for his employment. I hate to see that. I consider getting a mail box a small inconvenience for helping an American war vet.

Postal%20Cuts_Hutc.jpg

checkpoint-label.jpg

•
•
•
•
FAX:
- 2 -
in.
- 3 -

patriot_act.jpg

It started out of curiosity about MSP sticker on my mail box, but as I though about it, I realized it is a good topic for a thread. It effects almost everyone, there are issues from government employee efficiency to Patriot Act which is all over the news on privacy issues. It also does not demand a lot of research to understand. But, in the end, EVERYONE complains about GOVERNMENT EFFICIENCY, we taxpayers should be happy, but I am not. Something about this just does not feel right to me, and I do not know what it is - yet.

checkpoint-label.jpg

•
•
•
•
FAX:
- 2 -
in.
- 3 -

patriot_act.jpg

It started out of curiosity about MSP sticker on my mail box, but as I though about it, I realized it is a good topic for a thread. It effects almost everyone, there are issues from government employee efficiency to Patriot Act which is all over the news on privacy issues. It also does not demand a lot of research to understand. But, in the end, EVERYONE complains about GOVERNMENT EFFICIENCY, we taxpayers should be happy, but I am not. Something about this just does not feel right to me, and I do not know what it is - yet.

Beach....i delivered Mail for 33 years....those stickers have absolutely nothing to do with what you read at their site....all it is, is a way to keep an eye on the carrier....if you have a regular carrier who knows how to do his job you usually get your mail around the same time every day.....or you should anyway.....so them saying it helps them help you with the time is bullshit....if you dont want it in your box rip it off .....and if they put another there take it off....if they say something....tell them you dont want the thing in your box.....they will just stick it in your neighbors box.....tell him the same thing i told you...its your box they cant force you to have it in the box......us Carriers thought it was bullshit and they know it.....it had nothing to do with delivering the mail or the problems the PO is facing.....

There must be more to worry about these days than a sticker on your mail box. I can't say enough good things about our rural mail carrier. She comes up the driveway when we have a package too big for the mailbox and beeps the horn or gets out of the car and puts the package on the porch. I don't know when the mail gets in the box. Sometimes I don't check it for a day or two.

Mail carriers are not performing a favor for the people they deliver to. They are not delivering mail for their personal enjoyment. It is a job. Too many carriers have misused their employment. They become lazy. These stickers are a way to keep tabs on carriers. It's like having someone looking over their shoulder. Too bad there's no way to make sure they just don't throw the mail away so they don't have to deliver it at all.

Mail carriers are not performing a favor for the people they deliver to. They are not delivering mail for their personal enjoyment. It is a job. Too many carriers have misused their employment. They become lazy. These stickers are a way to keep tabs on carriers. It's like having someone looking over their shoulder. Too bad there's no way to make sure they just don't throw the mail away so they don't have to deliver it at all.
Mail carriers are not performing a favor for the people they deliver to.
so how do you know?.....i did lots of favors for the people on my route as do many other carriers......

Too many carriers have misused their employment.

how?.....

Just take it off. And if they put another take that one off too. Fuck em.

I read on the internet where a fellow did just that. Apparently, the next day his mail carrier was at his door replacing it. As you can see from the section of the OP out of the Mail Carrier's Handbook the USPS is very serious about this program. It is probably a hassle I would lose anyway.

original

What I am wondering is some letters I receive have bar coding on them, supposedly to facilitate automated sorting by the USPS. Could this lead to the USPS not only recording the delivery, but EACH LETTER I get? Not that I have anything to hide, but we still get junk mail for the people who lived here ten years ago.

If someone was out to damage me, what is to prevent them from sending me mail from some group like the American Nazi Party? I don't want my name associated in any way, especially with being on their mailing list.

american_swastika_small.gif

As it is now, we are receiving Sports Illustrated which we did not subscribe to. I wrote them and told them to stop, and they did not. Is Sports Illustrated going to show up in a year with a bill, and be able to verify delivery through the USPS?

Last edited:

Beach....i delivered Mail for 33 years....those stickers have absolutely nothing to do with what you read at their site....all it is, is a way to keep an eye on the carrier....if you have a regular carrier who knows how to do his job you usually get your mail around the same time every day.....or you should anyway.....so them saying it helps them help you with the time is bullshit....if you dont want it in your box rip it off .....and if they put another there take it off....if they say something....tell them you dont want the thing in your box.....they will just stick it in your neighbors box.....tell him the same thing i told you...its your box they cant force you to have it in the box......us Carriers thought it was bullshit and they know it.....it had nothing to do with delivering the mail or the problems the PO is facing.....

Thank you for the inside perspective. Our neighborhood has had the same carrier for at least ten years. Neighbors informed us when we moved in that our carrier should probably be on disability as he has PTSD from military service. Mail gets in the wrong box so frequently, that we took a PO Box. Our carrier misses at least a day of work a week, and has disappeared for months at a time. We get a lot of temporary carriers, and mail can come as late as 7pm, and sometimes not at all. We really do not mind the inconvenience for a war veteran.

Now, I believe some bureaucrat in the post office will fire our mail carrier rather soon. Who knows, I may send a letter complimenting his service. I will not create any kind of a problem for our carrier. Religionwise, I am kind of an Agnostic, but I do believe in the Golden Rule, and I think the Old Testament shares some worthwhile lessons about punishment for our misdeeds. It is not what we do at church on Sunday that matters, it is what we practice in our everyday activities that speaks to our character.

tumblr_inline_mgogj3mYtf1qdaglq.jpg

Last edited:
There must be more to worry about these days than a sticker on your mail box. I can't say enough good things about our rural mail carrier. She comes up the driveway when we have a package too big for the mailbox and beeps the horn or gets out of the car and puts the package on the porch. I don't know when the mail gets in the box. Sometimes I don't check it for a day or two.

We had a temporary mail carrier for about a month. I learned that he had served three times in Iraq, and was considering going back. One day we got into a conversation about politics that lasted a half hour. I encouraged him to run for public office.

Now, that half hour was on the USPS clock, and only happened one time. Isn't community involvement part of the job? It has to be more than running from one mail box to another.

When your postal carrier brings those big boxes to your porch it takes maybe five or ten minutes. When some pencil pusher in Washington reads your carrier's time report will she be penalized for slowing down delivery. We all just read whatUSMBs retired postal carrier of 33 years, Harry Dresdan had to say.

Norman-Rockwell-Mailman.jpg

Feels like another piece of Americana is just fading away, (Saturday Evening Post, 1922)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back