Do countries with high suicide rates have strict gun control...well...yes....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Yes....I know....there is no causation here between implementing strict gun control laws and suicide.....however...it does show that guns aren't a factor in people committing suicide......this shows the suicide rates of countries around the world...the highest suicide rates..........note........countries with the strictest gun control...can also have higher suicide rates than the United States....South Korea, France, Canada......and a whole bunch of others....

World suicide rates by country

There are 17 countries with higher suicide rates than the U.S......and most of them have stricter gun control laws than the United States.....can we please stop using suicide numbers to push up gun death numbers in our debates?

Country Suicide rates per 100,000 people
Austria 13.8
Belgium 18.4
Britain 6
Canada 10.2
Czech Republic 12.7
Denmark 11.3
Finland 16.5
France 14.6

Germany 10.3
Greece 2.9
Hungary 21.0
Iceland 10.4
Italy 5.5
Japan 19.4
Luxembourg 9.5
Mexico 4.4
Netherlands 7.9
New Zealand 11.9
Norway 10.9
Poland 13.8
Portugal 8.7
Slovak Republic 10.9
South Korea 24.7
Spain 6.3
Sweden 11.1
United States 10.1

Notes: Data is for 2005.

Suicide rates: South Korea has the highest suicide rate among OECD countries. Greece has the lowest.

Gender gap: In Mexico, Poland and the Slovak Republic, for each female death there are at least five male deaths. By contrast, in Korea, the Netherlands and Norway there are two male suicides for each female death.

Age: Older people take their own lives more often than young people in Greece, Italy, Portugal and South Korea but the pattern is not general across the OECD.

SOURCE: Organization for Economic Cooperation and DevelopmentBy Dwuan June -- The Washington Post

E-Mail This Graphic

© 2015 The Washington Post Company

Yes....I know....there is no causation here between implementing strict gun control laws and suicide.....however...it does show that guns aren't a factor in people committing suicide......this shows the suicide rates of countries around the world...the highest suicide rates..........note........countries with the strictest gun control...can also have higher suicide rates than the United States....South Korea, France, Canada......and a whole bunch of others....

the stats should include deaths by gun accidents

What would that show?....in Japan you would show deaths by home chemicals and train jumping.....dittos South Korea and China...although in China they jump off of buildings....I think.....

Besides....we have only 6-700 accidental gun deaths a year.....with over 310 million people and 11.1 million people now permitted to carry guns, and a lot more than 11.1 because many states don't require paperwork to carry guns....

6-700 accidental gun deaths...vs....1.6 million times a year law abiding citizens use guns to stop violent criminal attack and save lives......

Just by the numbers...guns in the hands of law abiding citizens save lives....

A list for 2013...notice...even more countries with stricter gun control than the United States are listed.....

2013 more comprehensive list....

World Suicide Rate Map - Business Insider

Here's each of the countries in the map, along with their most recently available suicide rates in deaths per 100,000 population, and the year the data comes from:

world%20suicide%20rates%20with%20india%20table.png
Business Insider/Andy Kiersz, data from WHO, AFP and the Lancet

Read more: World Suicide Rate Map - Business Insider

What would that show?....in Japan you would show deaths by home chemicals and train jumping.....dittos South Korea and China...although in China they jump off of buildings....I think.....

Besides....we have only 6-700 accidental gun deaths a year.....with over 310 million people and 11.1 million people now permitted to carry guns, and a lot more than 11.1 because many states don't require paperwork to carry guns....

6-700 accidental gun deaths...vs....1.6 million times a year law abiding citizens use guns to stop violent criminal attack and save lives......

Just by the numbers...guns in the hands of law abiding citizens save lives....

New Zealand has a higher suicide rate than us......and they have Hobbits.....and stricter gun control....

A list for 2013...notice...even more countries with stricter gun control than the United States are listed.....

Here's each of the countries in the map, along with their most recently available suicide rates in deaths per 100,000 population, and the year the data comes from:

accidental death vs suicide vs murder are notoriously
-----inaccurate

accidental death vs suicide vs murder are notoriously
-----inaccurate

but we go with the data from WHO and the Lancet...where this info. came from...right? since they are notoriously anti gun organizations....right?

No.... Because gun accidents are not suicide. The stats do not contain car accidents, drowning accidents, or slipping on banana peel accidents that result in death either because accidents are not suicide.

No.... Because gun accidents are not suicide. The stats do not contain car accidents, drowning accidents, or slipping on banana peel accidents that result in death either because accidents are not suicide.

and what do car accidents, drowning accidents, have in common...they kill more people than gun accidents.....

many "accidental deaths" are actually suicide. some are
murder --------"I was cleaning my husband's gun and it
accidentally fired"

and what do car accidents, drowning accidents, have in common...they kill more people than gun accidents.....

there are a lot more people in cars and in swimming pools than there are playing with guns

there are a lot more people in cars and in swimming pools than there are playing with guns

Why do accidental gun deaths...6-700 a year matter more to you than car accidents and drowning accidents...which kill far more children by the way....? it is irrational.....

There are 17 countries with higher suicide rates than the U.S......and most of them have stricter gun control laws than the United States.....can we please stop using suicide numbers to push up gun death numbers in our debates?

Country Suicide rates per 100,000 people
Austria 13.8
Belgium 18.4
Britain 6
Canada 10.2
Czech Republic 12.7
Denmark 11.3
Finland 16.5
France 14.6

Germany 10.3
Greece 2.9
Hungary 21.0
Iceland 10.4
Italy 5.5
Japan 19.4
Luxembourg 9.5
Mexico 4.4
Netherlands 7.9
New Zealand 11.9
Norway 10.9
Poland 13.8
Portugal 8.7
Slovak Republic 10.9
South Korea 24.7
Spain 6.3
Sweden 11.1
United States 10.1

Notes: Data is for 2005.

Suicide rates: South Korea has the highest suicide rate among OECD countries. Greece has the lowest.

Gender gap: In Mexico, Poland and the Slovak Republic, for each female death there are at least five male deaths. By contrast, in Korea, the Netherlands and Norway there are two male suicides for each female death.

Age: Older people take their own lives more often than young people in Greece, Italy, Portugal and South Korea but the pattern is not general across the OECD.

SOURCE: Organization for Economic Cooperation and DevelopmentBy Dwuan June -- The Washington Post

E-Mail This Graphic

© 2015 The Washington Post Company
I agree.

Suicide by gun should not be lumped in with gun crimes.

Why do accidental gun deaths...6-700 a year matter more to you than car accidents and drowning accidents...which kill far more children by the way....? it is irrational.....
Lots of suicides and murder/suicides in those "unexplained" one vehicle crashes too.

Okay...here are drowning deaths....about 3,500 a year....vs. 6-700 accidental gun deaths....don't you think your time would be better spent as a life guard at a pool....instead of bothering law abiding gun owners?

CDC - Water-Related Injuries Facts - Home and Recreational Safety - Injury Center

• From 2005-2009, there were an average of 3,533 fatal unintentional drownings (non-boating related) annually in the United States — about ten deaths per day. An additional 347 people died each year from drowning in boating-related incidents.2
  • About one in five people who die from drowning are children 14 and younger.2 For every child who dies from drowning, another five receive emergency department care for nonfatal submersion injuries.1
  • More than 50% of drowning victims treated in emergency departments (EDs) require hospitalization or transfer for further care (compared with a hospitalization rate of about 6% for all unintentional injuries).1,2 These nonfatal drowning injuries can cause severe brain damage that may result in long-term disabilities such as memory problems, learning disabilities, and permanent loss of basic functioning (e.g., permanent vegetative state).3,4

no it's not------gun accidents to not have to happen----they are preventable. car accidents and drownings are no more
preventable from a public health POV-----than are heart attacks--------everyone does the stuff that brings those
deaths on as part of normal life

many "accidental deaths" are actually suicide. some are
murder --------"I was cleaning my husband's gun and it
accidentally fired"
And my wife and I were swimming. She drowned "accidentally". It was a shame that I could not save her. Good thing I have a $1,000,000 life insurance policy on her.

We don't need pools in the hands of private citizens...we can just have public pools...right? and we don't need individually owned cars....we can all use public transportion...right?

6-700 gun accidental deaths vs. 1.6 million times a year a gun is used to stop a violent criminal attack or save a life....violent crime is most preventable when the victim has a gun....that saves lives too.....

Forum List

Back