Do celebrity opinions matter to you?

Alexandra

Aug 5, 2016
Of course, the first thing I expect people to say is "it depends on the celebrity," as if the celebrity in question is someone whose ethics and thoughts they're familiar with.

Hell with that.

You don't know them, and you know it. So I'm addressing those who don't get star-struck.

The Dems in particular love to play the celebrity card. Is the left really that easy? Because politicians who claim to be on the left (and in Hillary's case, I don't understand why leftists don't recognize she's anything but) seem to think you are.

I never used to let top 10 radio or public opinion tell me what to listen to, so I surely wouldn't let people who grab their crotch tell me to vote for a grouchy woman who's only policy for all these years was blaming the other party instead of getting anything done of value herself or showing a better way.

No, I don't care what a celebrity's opinion is. However, if I say "Trump sucks", only a few people will hear my opinion. If Tom Hanks says "Trump sucks" millions hear about it.l

P. S. Hillary sucks.

And so say others who preceded you (more or less). Which begs the question:
Why does the left act as though celebrity opinions are taken seriously?

Of course, you may be a right-winger and would therefore have no explanation, but I won't assume.

Celebrity opinion is used to confirm opinion, to create a sense of security that you made the right choice, not so much to persuade people. But you really can't underestimate the appeal to authority, it's human nature to be vulnerable to it at various points in our lives. It's also 1000x more effective when it happens to be someone you greatly admire.

Of course, you may be a right-winger and would therefore have no explanation, but I won't assume.

They use celebs to draw crowds they can't draw on their own. Of course the news won't tell you when the celebs leave the stage, most of the crowds do too. I'll bet I read the Constitution more times than all the commiecrat celebs combined. Probably more times than either candidate. Celebs are the last people I'd look to for political advise, they are clueless on how the system is supposed to work.

Of course, the first thing I expect people to say is "it depends on the celebrity," as if the celebrity in question is someone whose ethics and thoughts they're familiar with.

Hell with that.

You don't know them, and you know it. So I'm addressing those who don't get star-struck.

The Dems in particular love to play the celebrity card. Is the left really that easy? Because politicians who claim to be on the left (and in Hillary's case, I don't understand why leftists don't recognize she's anything but) seem to think you are.
We should ignore celebrity opinions - especially the celebrity the republicans are running for president.

Don't be jealous. The right has support from celebrities too!

Crazy Gary

2_gary_busey.jpg

Weird Meatloaf

meatloaf27n-2-web.jpg

Crazy Ted

Dead-Nugent-1219x1200.jpg

Chachi

scott-baio-trump-lawsuit.jpg

James Woods and his granddaughter

james-woods-66-debuts-his-20-year-old-girlfriend-at-white-house-down-premiere.jpg

Dirty Chairy

clint-eastwood-chair-republican-convention.jpg

Last edited:

I'm an independent that is center left and I don't give a fuck about celebrities, movies, television, etc. Maybe you need to reexamine your assumptions and your stupidity of putting people in groups.

Most celebrities are artist types, republicans hate the arts, case closed.

So you campaign not about issues, but about making fun of disabled people, then turn around and make fun of Gary Busey.
Busted!

"Do celebrity opinions matter to you?"

In general, no. That said, it really depends on what the celebrity in question has to say about a given topic. There are celebrities here and there who are experts or highly knowledgeable in their field -- Neil DeGrasse Tyson, and Carl Sagan before him, is a celebrity astronomer/physicist, and his thoughts about physics and astronomy are worth considering. Madonna is an accomplished performer, so her opinions about the music industry are worth considering. Dr. Anthony Fauci is a celebrity immunologist, so I value his insights about medicine and specifically virology. If a celeb has something to say about a policy position and that policy has something to do with matters for which it's reasonable to think the celeb is very knowledgeable, sure, what they have to say matters.

Now there are some celebrities who are well understood to be very bright individuals in general. I may be interested in what they have to say, but I can't say their remarks go beyond challenging my high level views that I may not have previously examined on a more detailed level. For example, James Woods wrote in a tweet, "The prospect of the #ClintonCrimeCartel back in the #WhiteHouse is so utterly appalling, #Republicans are reacting without common sense." Being aware that Mr. Woods is very bright, that remark may, if I've not already done so, inspire me to conduct my own rigorous examination of what might be appalling about Mrs. Clinton or in what regard the Republicans behave absent common sense.

Am I going to take his remarks as the "be all end all" on the matter, or conclude that because he says so, I should agree? Not at all. That they are smart in general is indicative of just that; it doesn't make them experts on everything. I know that because I have a high IQ (not the highest but well above average) and I'm no expert on everything either, but I have the "smarts" to, if I look into a matter to become quite well informed about it and arrive at a non-fallaciously rational conclusion about it. Take some of the topics I've discussed here on USMB, for example. I didn't come to USMB knowing a ton about them, but in reading some of the remarks others expressed about the topic, I thought to myself, "Hmmm....That doesn't make sense to me; it just doesn't pass the "sniff test." Indeed I'm not even sure that some of the assertions on which the writer's conclusion is based are even true. I should probably look into the topic by checking some very rigorous and objective sources to learn more about the topic before I express an opinion of my own." When that happens I go to my favorite resource for obtaining very credible objective information -- Google Scholar, not Google -- to find out what the facts actually are and, after obtaining the, I figure out what can soundly be inferred from them versus what inferences would be "going too far," and what weight those facts and related inferences should be given in arriving at a conclusion.

Merely hearing a celeb say something about a given policy matter tells me they have formed an opinion, but it doesn't tell me anything about the nature and extent of inquiry they conducted to arrive at their opinion. Celebs are like everyone else in that sometimes they go with their gut and other times they actually put in the effort to fully understand a matter. Which approach they use depends on how much they care about the topic. That behavior too is like everyone else's, no matter their intellect.

No. They're all just people, so their opinions don't matter any more than the typical person's would.

Forum List

Back