Do Cats Really Heal Their Bones By Purring?

Why Do Cats Purr?​

Many different situations can cause domestic cats to purr, which leads to multiple theories as to why they do it.

Here’s a breakdown of the commonly accepted reasons why cats purr.

Your Cat Is Content​

Cat owners have seen their cat purr when they are content and happy, similar to how dogs wag their tails.

When your cat is sitting on your lap and getting pets and scratches, they are probably purring as well, and maybe even kneading your leg or a blanket. This nonverbal form of communication tells you that life is good and that your cat is very happy with the current situation.

Cats probably also associate their purrs with positive interactions with you. When they purr, you continue to pet them. It’s almost as if they are training you.

Your Cat Is Self-Medicating​

But what about a cat that is purring during labor? What does cat purring mean then?

Believe it or not, cats also use purring as a form of self-medication and pain control.

According to studies, cats purr at frequencies that help to stimulate healing, particularly of bones and tendons. The frequency may also serve to reduce pain, ease breathing, and build muscles, among other health benefits.

Learn something new every day.

Never heard that. But cats in pain or distress do purr to comfort themselves.

I did hear that part.

Nice article, but how do we know that it's true?

I did hear that part.

Nice article, but how do we know that it's true?
Observation, I expect. A cat I had a long time ago who injured his tail playing with a rock on at ledge. He fell off, the rock landed on his tail. When I found him, he was purring, though he was obviously in pain.

I heard about this before, I'm just not sure how it's possible.

I've heard that before, and further that a cat purring can help someone else's bones heal as well. I've never been able to find any credible scientific evidence one way or the other, and I have to think that it sounds dubious.

At some time during my recovery from my broken leg, my nurse/case manager brought up the subject of a bone stimulator. Both my orthopedic surgeon and my occupational doctor expressed great skepticism about such devices, and recommended against it.

During these conversations, I mentioned the claim about a cat's purring, and wondered if these bone stimulators worked on a related principle. I also faintly toyed with the idea of constructing a device that I could strap to my leg, that would vibrate at the approximate frequency of a cat purring.

My actual cat was not terribly cooperative with efforts to get her to cuddle against my injured leg and purr. She's a Siamese, with the attitude that is one of the defining traits of that breed.

BeforeAfter_Leg.jpg
1641765878458.png

I've heard that before, and further that a cat purring can help someone else's bones heal as well. I've never been able to find any credible scientific evidence one way or the other, and I have to think that it sounds dubious.

At some time during my recovery from my broken leg, my nurse/case manager brought up the subject of a bone stimulator. Both my orthopedic surgeon and my occupational doctor expressed great skepticism about such devices, and recommended against it.

During these conversations, I mentioned the claim about a cat's purring, and wondered if these bone stimulators worked on a related principle. I also faintly toyed with the idea of constructing a device that I could strap to my leg, that would vibrate at the approximate frequency of a cat purring.

My actual cat was not terribly cooperative with efforts to get her to cuddle against my injured leg and purr. She's a Siamese, with the attitude that is one of the defining traits of that breed.

View attachment 585843View attachment 585845
Yup. Siamese: OH YOUR LEGS BROKE GOOD FUCK YOU

Observation, I expect. A cat I had a long time ago who injured his tail playing with a rock on at ledge. He fell off, the rock landed on his tail. When I found him, he was purring, though he was obviously in pain.

Yeah, I meant physically healing though not just emotionally.

View attachment 585843View attachment 585845

Beautiful kitty, it's too bad that you broke your leg though.

Forum List

Back