Do Atheists Have a Moral Code?

So, what does it mean to atheists? I doubt it means US money is not acceptable to them.

I think it used to be that that in the 50s to 70s (most recent?) people believed that God protected them, united them. loved them, and cared for them. However, it doesn't have the same affect anymore. For example, we don't see it expressed openly in our news and media.

It doesn't mean any more to me than the picture of the pyramid & eye on the dollar bill. It is legal tender, and I use it.

Good you're taking an interest in history :p, but it's not ignorant pablum. You're right about the $10 bill as our coins and currency changed since back then.

"IN GOD WE TRUST first appeared on the 1864 two-cent coin.

Another Act of Congress passed on March 3, 1865. It allowed the Mint Director, with the Secretary's approval, to place the motto on all gold and silver coins that "shall admit the inscription thereon." Under the Act, the motto was placed on the gold double-eagle coin, the gold eagle coin, and the gold half-eagle coin. It was also placed on the silver dollar coin, the half-dollar coin and the quarter-dollar coin, and on the nickel three-cent coin beginning in 1866. Later, Congress passed the Coinage Act of February 12, 1873. It also said that the Secretary "may cause the motto IN GOD WE TRUST to be inscribed on such coins as shall admit of such motto."

The use of IN GOD WE TRUST has not been uninterrupted. The motto disappeared from the five-cent coin in 1883, and did not reappear until production of the Jefferson nickel began in 1938. Since 1938, all United States coins bear the inscription. Later, the motto was found missing from the new design of the double-eagle gold coin and the eagle gold coin shortly after they appeared in 1907. In response to a general demand, Congress ordered it restored, and the Act of May 18, 1908, made it mandatory on all coins upon which it had previously appeared. IN GOD WE TRUST was not mandatory on the one-cent coin and five-cent coin. It could be placed on them by the Secretary or the Mint Director with the Secretary's approval.

The motto has been in continuous use on the one-cent coin since 1909, and on the ten-cent coin since 1916. It also has appeared on all gold coins and silver dollar coins, half-dollar coins, and quarter-dollar coins struck since July 1, 1908."

The above shows to everyone that we are one nation under God and whom we place our trust. Even atheists are included in that. Has any of it changed?
It's in good form to credit the source of your cutting and pasting.

No. History proves that people are subjective. Morals are standards which exist in and of themselves and are based upon logical reasons. Whether or not man accepts those standards depends on if man is being subjective or objective.

The definition of subjective is... based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions. Morals don't have personal feelings, tastes, or opinions. Man does.

It is categorically false to say that morals themselves are subjective and categorically true to say that man is subjective.
Not going to go round and round with you again on this. Been there done that

It doesn't mean any more to me than the picture of the pyramid & eye on the dollar bill. It is legal tender, and I use it.
Ahh... good one. It's the Eye of Providence.

"Conspiracy theories thrive on cryptic symbols and covert visual signs. The ‘Eye of Providence’ – an eye set within a triangle – is one such symbol, associated with Freemasonry but also linked with the apocryphal Illuminati, a secret group of elite individuals allegedly seeking to control global affairs.

The Eye of Providence is a lightning rod for conspiracy theorists because it is very much hidden in plain sight: not only does it appear on countless churches and Masonic buildings worldwide, it also features on the reverse of the American one-dollar bill as well as the Great Seal of the United States.

In truth, it’s an uncanny and frankly odd choice for a US symbol of state. The disembodied eye strongly conveys the sense of a prying authoritarian Big Brother. In combination with the pyramid beneath it, we have emblems suggesting an ancient and esoteric cult. So, what are the origins of the Eye of Providence, why does it fascinate us so much, and why is it frequently connected with the Freemasons and the Illuminati?

Originally the Eye of Providence was a Christian symbol, and the earliest examples of its use can be found in religious art of the Renaissance period to represent God. An early example is Pontormo’s 1525 Supper at Emmaus, although the symbol itself was painted on later, perhaps in the 1600s.

It was invented as a sign of God’s compassionate watchfulness over humanity​

"

bbc.com/culture/article/20201112-the-eye-of-providence-the-symbol-with-a-secret-meaning

Thanks. It just makes you look typically dishonest when you don't attribute the source of your cutting and pasting.
Why did you want to know the source? Do you not trust me to provide a valid source?

What did you think about the Eye of Providence? It gets deeper into the point that the US Treasury and the USG wants God. Obviously, they disagree with the atheists because of no moral code.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back