Do any of you old guys (over 50) lift weights? If so what is your routine?

I'm curious because I started lifting a few months ago and I am well over 60. I have a lifting rack in my house so I don't have to go to a gym. What I like is that it doesn't take long and I do feel like I'm getting stronger. I keep to what I can comfortably do, I don't feel like I'm straining. I'm not trying to body build, just trying to keep it together and add a few yards to my drives. FWIW this is what I do 3 times a week. I'm 205 lbs:

dumbbell curls 15 lbs 2x25 rep
bench 135 lbs 6x6 rep
dead lift 185 lbs 3x5 rep
rows 65 lbs 2x10 rep
I was lifting in my 50s until I developed arthritis in my shoulder. Up until then I was stressing abdominal work and weights where my arms are extended, like flys, over for example bench pressing. I felt like this type of work was more useful for gaining strength needed for real life like carrying groceries, golf, tennis, etc.

I'm not that old but unfortunately I will never be able to lift weights. I have costochondritis, an EXTREMELY painful inflammation in the cartilage in the chest. It is aggravated by repeated movements involving heavy weight, i.e. weightlifting. The symptoms mimic a heart attack so well after 3 visits to the ER, 1 by ambulance, they finally figured out what it was. No more 5000 dollar visits for chest pain. A simple NSAID and I'm good to go.

So instead I jog, 2-3 miles per day. I can't lift much weight as I'm a small person anyway, but I bet I can outrun and outlast 90% of guys my age.

New Topics

Forum List

Back