Dissension Becomes Our Ally

Sonny Clark

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2014
Gadsden Alabama
[ This piece was written on 5/16/2006. Yet, we can see that the same holds true even today. Time is slow to change certain things, especially in politics.]

Dissension Becomes Our Ally

Faced with opposition from all sides, the obvious cracks and flaws in the present administration’s policies are being magnified. A majority opinion is almost non-existent within the walls of the Washington establishment. Dissension and one-up-man-ship has become a daily routine, with political ambitions taking the forefront on almost every issue addressed.

It’s a given that the timing has a lot to do with party line disagreement (party politics) considering this is an election year. But, it seems some in Washington are genuinely concerned about present decision making, and the consequences those decisions pose if they are not re-evaluated on merit. One important observation to note is the number of breakaway groups that have formed within each party.

Division is always a sign of weakness in party politics, and we’re seeing battle lines being drawn on almost every issue within each party. Recent examples of this breakaway syndrome are the war, civil liberties, and of course, the headlined illegal immigration issues. Finger pointing and passing the buck has never been as widespread and ill intended as we’ve seen in the past two or three years.

If we closely examine the ramifications of dissension concerning policy, we’ll find that they can only benefit the policy making process by adding much needed scrutiny and integrity to a government gone awry. In reality, dissension among our policy makers becomes our ally in Washington. Those in politics, looking for a nail to hang the hat of blame on, will usually find one. By questioning actions and motives, bringing suspected ill conceived and proposed policies to the attention of the public, and being relentless in resisting status quo in politics, those dissenters become our best allies.

It’s becoming more difficult to hide special interests policies and legislation of a non-beneficial nature than it has been in the past. Decisions, needing accompanying explanations to the satisfaction of the general public, are increasing in number; this as a result of an increase in dissension among elected officials. There are signs that party unity is becoming fragile, and loyalty within the ranks is weakening.

Several key elements have come together in a relatively short time frame that could possibly explain this sudden exposure of dereliction of duty, pandering by special interests, ill conceived and executed policies, and a government gone awry, generally speaking. Consideration and acknowledgement has to be given to the general public for a lot of the pressure being exerted on Washington. Each day, the number of citizens getting involved in, and taking real interest in the workings of our government grows.

As a general rule, dissension is a bad thing in any group when trying to accomplish goals. But, given the way this country has snowballed downhill for so long, dissension within our legislative and executive branches of government is the best thing that has happened to this nation in a long time. Exposure, public information, public discussions, and opposition to inept authority are our friends. But, more importantly, those dissenters in Washington, opposed to anti-American policies and legislation, are our best friends. Dissension is without a doubt, our ally.

You need to post a link to the article per the posting guidelines and you're not suppose to post the complete article. Just trying to help out here.

As for the article itself, I completely agree with it.

• Banned
You need to post a link to the article per the posting guidelines and you're not suppose to post the complete article. Just trying to help out here.

There is NO link. I wrote the piece myself. The rules and guidelines do NOT say that one can not write a piece themselves, using their own words. Why do you think that it came from someone else? The piece is my own opinion, in my own words.

It's written well but politics has always been a blood sport. What's different today is the round the clock media and cyber communications where people voice their opinions. We just didn't see it before.

You have to take everything with a grain of salt. Some people insist there's no difference between political parties and others claim we've never been more polarized. I believe the answer is somewhere in between.

• Banned
It's written well but politics has always been a blood sport. What's different today is the round the clock media and cyber communications where people voice their opinions. We just didn't see it before.

You have to take everything with a grain of salt. Some people insist there's no difference between political parties and others claim we've never been more polarized. I believe the answer is somewhere in between.
We had the same level of media in the internet world back in 2006 when I wrote the piece as we have now. And, we have millions of people still voicing their opinions online as we had back then. I agree that there's little or no difference between political parties.

We had the same level of media in the internet world back in 2006 when I wrote the piece as we have now. And, we have millions of people still voicing their opinions online as we had back then. I agree that there's little or no difference between political parties.
So where's the division you speak of? Also twitter, facebook, forums, have grown exponentially since 2006.

• Banned

So where's the division you speak of? Also twitter, facebook, forums, have grown exponentially since 2006.
We have division everywhere. We have political division, social issues that divide us, social and economic class division, division on such issues as abortion, the wars, taxes, and on many other issues. Yes, the internet has grown tremendously since 2006, I agree. But, back in 2006 there were many internet forums, media resources, discussion venues, opinion pieces in lesser known news outlets, and of course, politics discussed on thousands of web sites.

We have division everywhere. We have political division, social issues that divide us, social and economic class division, division on such issues as abortion, the wars, taxes, and on many other issues. Yes, the internet has grown tremendously since 2006, I agree. But, back in 2006 there were many internet forums, media resources, discussion venues, opinion pieces in lesser known news outlets, and of course, politics discussed on thousands of web sites.
Lots of new cyber outlets and more people online, it's a fact. You don't seem to recall the 60s and 70s though.

• Banned
Lots of new cyber outlets and more people online, it's a fact. You don't seem to recall the 60s and 70s though.
Sure, there are many more people online today as opposed to 2006, I agree. I recall the 60's and 70's very well thank you. Why wouldn't I, I'm 67 years young. How can I forget the 60's and 70's when I graduated in '65, joined the Marine Corps in '67, started my family in the 70's, and traveled a lot during that time. I remember the civil rights movement of the 60's ( I'm originally from Montgomery, Alabama ), I remember Carter's election in '76, and I remember many more things that happened during the 60's and 70's. My 67 year old mind isn't that deteriorated yet.

There is NO link. I wrote the piece myself. The rules and guidelines do NOT say that one can not write a piece themselves, using their own words. Why do you think that it came from someone else? The piece is my own opinion, in my own words.

Kool, why did't you claim it as your own, instead of "This piece was written"?

I didn't think it was necessary. I'm relatively new here ( I joined in December ) and didn't know that it was required. I haven't seen anyone else state that they wrote a piece when no link was given. I guess that I have over-looked it. I'll have to go back and read the rules and guidelines again.

I didn't think it was necessary. I'm relatively new here ( I joined in December ) and didn't know that it was required. I haven't seen anyone else state that they wrote a piece when no link was given. I guess that I have over-looked it. I'll have to go back and read the rules and guidelines again.

It just prevents confusion, unfortunately it usually painfully obvious when an OP writes their own stuff.

Sure, there are many more people online today as opposed to 2006, I agree. I recall the 60's and 70's very well thank you. Why wouldn't I, I'm 67 years young. How can I forget the 60's and 70's when I graduated in '65, joined the Marine Corps in '67, started my family in the 70's, and traveled a lot during that time. I remember the civil rights movement of the 60's ( I'm originally from Montgomery, Alabama ), I remember Carter's election in '76, and I remember many more things that happened during the 60's and 70's. My 67 year old mind isn't that deteriorated yet.
No need to get defensive about your age. I remember lots of rioting, racial and anti-war, burnings, violent clashes with police, Vietnam veterans spit on and the baby killers bumper stickers, Kent State, Weather Underground bombings, etc.

I'm not saying it's great now but I don't agree that we are more polarized than then. We had a little hicup called the Civil War too. It's always easy to see the past through rose colored lenses.

No need to get defensive about your age. I remember lots of rioting, racial and anti-war, burnings, violent clashes with police, Vietnam veterans spit on and the baby killers bumper stickers, Kent State, Weather Underground bombings, etc.

I'm not saying it's great now but I don't agree that we are more polarized than then. We had a little hicup called the Civil War too. It's always easy to see the past through rose colored lenses.
I wasn't getting defensive. I was just explaining that I haven't forgotten the 60's and 70's. We've been divided and polarized for decades now. I haven't said nor implied otherwise.

It just prevents confusion, unfortunately it usually painfully obvious when an OP writes their own stuff.
I'll try to remember that, thanks. I thought that mine was obvious also. Especially since I didn't give a link like I usually do when posting others' material.

I wasn't getting defensive. I was just explaining that I haven't forgotten the 60's and 70's. We've been divided and polarized for decades now. I haven't said nor implied otherwise.
Maybe you should tweak it a bit because it is written with a contemporary outlook. The title alone indicates that much.

"Division" might be a sign of weakness in party politics but so is playing "party politics " a sign of weakness in the government. The voters make the choices and if their chosen representative has a different viewpoint from "party politics" so be it. Does it make the government strong when the democrat party does not allow dissension in the ranks? Are we better off as a Nation that the democrat party kicks their own former vice president candidate out of the party for being too moderate? Republican politicians might not be perfect but at least they allow debate and discussion.

Maybe you should tweak it a bit because it is written with a contemporary outlook. The title alone indicates that much.
Thanks for your opinion. In my opinion, no tweaking is necessary. And, in my opinion, the title is representative of the piece. It's fine if we see it differently, and have a different opinion, no problem.

"Division" might be a sign of weakness in party politics but so is playing "party politics " a sign of weakness in the government. The voters make the choices and if their chosen representative has a different viewpoint from "party politics" so be it. Does it make the government strong when the democrat party does not allow dissension in the ranks? Are we better off as a Nation that the democrat party kicks their own former vice president candidate out of the party for being too moderate? Republican politicians might not be perfect but at least they allow debate and discussion.
In my opinion, both Republicans and Democrats equally practice division, dissension, party politics, and anti-America agendas. I've followed both parties for decades now, and I have found little if any difference between the two. Neither party is pro-America.

In my opinion, both Republicans and Democrats equally practice division, dissension, party politics, and anti-America agendas. I've followed both parties for decades now, and I have found little if any difference between the two. Neither party is pro-America.
How about some specifics instead of all the broad brushed polemics?

Forum List

Back